RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Forum Technical Support: Click to enlarge pictures within text

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Click to enlarge pictures within text

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/05 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may be the ultimate answer to oversized pictures posted within text.

I was recently reminded that the click to enlarge concept works with the latest upgrade. With it, you can post a thumbnail of a picture with text or a graphic to indicate "click to enlarge". Here's an example using the rv.net logo and my favorite "click to enlarge" graphic which is free to copy and use.

Clicking on that logo will produce one that can be printed on 8x10 paper.

Here is how that was done:
1. At your Picture Host, right-click on the thumbnail of the picture to be used and select Properties. Copy and paste the URL in the middle of it to a NotePad. In this case that is:
"http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/24/20/OpenRoadsSingles/1/196.jpg"
2. Enlarge the photo, right-click on it and select Properties. Triple click on the URL in the middle of it, right click, select Copy and paste that to the NotePad also.
3. In your topic or reply, click on the Link icon (the one I call the bowling ball and swim goggles)
4. In the upper box, paste the complete URL of the enlargement.
5. In the lower box where it asks for Description, first type [img ]and then paste the URL of the thumbnail followed by a [/img ].
note, a space was added following "img" in the above for demonstration purposes only.

Here is what the Link Editor should look like:

As a final step, immediately following the "[/url ]", type "<---click to enlarge" or click on the Insert Picture Editor icon (little postcard) and enter the url for the left click graphic. This is it:
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwD5Ao4aDXfDyZlkfuNouNFsMJeEfiQkUDpuImTn*DCM6AnNW8QG!e8IjRWzGiOz5cfCA753y5Syw3WqR7a1pMwS7UdOzOLAzfV8hKrJttRYs!qVxXJ*DJOLWpj5Con5/LeftClick.gif?dc=4675449408045084389

Thumbnail too small for show 'n tell? Here's two ways to make it larger.

1. Right click on the thumbnail, select Properties and note the Pixel size. In this case, it is 96x68 or 96 pixels wide, 68 pixels tall. To increase that size, multiply the width by 1.25 (or suitable number) which in this case would be 120. Insert "width=120" at the end of the thumbnail URL and the [/img ]. You need only to enter either width or height as it will automatically enlarge proportionately. In most cases, expect a little distortion in doing this. Here's the result:

2. Right click on the enlargement again, select Properties and note the Pixel size. In this case it is 651x462 or 651 pixels wide, 462 pixels tall. Dividing the width by four would be 162.75 or rounded off to 163. Instead of using the thumbnail URL, use the URL of the enlargement preceeded by "[img ] and insert "width=163" followed by [/img ]. Here's the result:

Important Notes: the cumulative total pixel width including the pointer which is 123 should not exceed the 640 maximum. Always click on Preview to confirm your post and particularly to insure your link to the enlargement works.

Feel free to copy the "click for enlargement" pointer above or simply copy and save the URL to reuse. It is on an MSN Groups website that is not likely to be moved or deleted.

Unfortunately, "click to enlarge" does not work in signatures.

Dick M.

DavidG

Jacksonville, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/05 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice job Dick! Another fine tutorial.

The only thing I might add is that this can be done with just one image/photo for both "img" and "url" parameters. In other words, you don't need a thumbnail image AND the full-size image for this to work. Using the "width" option on the "img" tag will effectively create a thumbnail-sized image within the forum.

DavidG

Jacksonville, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/05 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah yes, the KISS principal. 200 vs 60 characters does make a difference.

And even if I was your inspiration you're the one that put this nice tutorial together. Great job!

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/05 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes David but I chose to keep it simple and start with the shorter 60-character URL of a thumbnail instead of 200 of the enlargement times two using it twice. You get the credit for inspiring this..... ok?

Dick

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/06 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you are missing the "/" in your end tag Perrysburg Dodgeboy, following the jpg it should be [/img ] only without that space. You don't need to repost it, just click on Edit. Also, this topic is about clicking on a small picture or thumbnail to enlarge. Do you have the URL for the enlargement? [i]....RVSnowbird[/i]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/06 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 03/24/06 01:16pm by Perrysburg Dodgeboy *

On Sunday Jan. 26,2014 Toledo Fire department lost two Hero's in a fire.
God Speed Privates Stephen Machcinski and James Dickman. We will take it form here my Brothers.

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/06 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Much better Perrysburg Dodgeboy but for one small detail. Webshots that you used no longer allows their pictures to be linked to. Here's a quote from their website:
Quote:

"Due to abuse, WebShots no long allows display linking. You can only view Webshots images from Webshots pages and within the Webshots software. Alternatively, you can post a link to the page that contains the image you'd like to display."
If this is a problem for you, I would suggest www.photobucket.com or one of the others listed in Picture Host Information.

....RVSnowbird

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/06 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tthank's and kiss only works if you know how to kiss sometimes I have to hit myself in the head 4 or 5 times before I can get it to stick.

On Sunday Jan. 26,2014 Toledo Fire department lost two Hero's in a fire.
God Speed Privates Stephen Machcinski and James Dickman. We will take it form here my Brothers.

sab1955

Hayward, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/06 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the object of this thread was to use a thumbnail or smaller picture as a link to click on to see the full picture.

sab1955 posted a 966 pixel width by 1288 pixel height, 335kb picture which is beyond that recommended of 640x480 and 100kb. This not only forces side scrolling for 800x600 pixel resolution monitor users but a drastic delay for those with dial-up or cellphone connections.

Here is that picture in a clickable thumbnail:
<---click to enlarge

Please see the original thread on how this is done or feel free to send me a private message

* This post was edited 05/22/06 11:57pm by an administrator/moderator *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Click to enlarge pictures within text
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS