|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Picture Host Information

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/05 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several reasons for having your personal and rv pictures on a picture host website. Besides being able to link to them for posting here, other forums and websites, it will be a place for family and friends to see them. I also learned first hand the value of maintaining pictures on line after a hard drive crash in which I lost everything - only those pictures and documents I had stored on line survived!

The basis for posting a picture within rv.net text messages is that it first must be on a public view website. They are then linked to for display on the rv.net webpages. See Profile and Pictures within Text Messages the procedure and more information.

The numbers to keep in mind before posting here is not over 640 pixel width, 480 pixel height or 100kb file size. It is not yet a rule but the reasons for those limits are simply a courtesy to 800x600 and below monitor resolution users. Anything larger than those numbers will either be very slow loading for dialup/cellphone users or in the case of extra width, force side-scrolling.

If you are in doubt as to the picture size, you can always post a link to your on-line picture instead of the picture itself. This is done by first right-clicking on the enlargement and selecting Properties. Triple-click on the URL in the middle of that and for safety, copy and paste it to a Note or WordPad.
Next, in a new topic or reply, click on the hyper-link symbol (that I call the bowling ball and swim goggles), and paste that URL in the upper box as shown here:
[image]
Yes, that is the same function used to direct someone to a website but in a sense, that is what you are doing, directing someone to see your picture at another website. In the lower box, enter a description such as "My new wheels".

You can also use that same method to direct members to your entire album rather than just one picture. The procedure is the same except to open your album, copy the URL in the address bar and that is what is pasted in the top box of the Link Editor. The lower box would be a description of it such as "My RV Travels and Adventures".

Another possibility is posting just a thumbnail or small-size picture with an embedded link to the enlargement at your picture host website. This is explained at "Click to enlarge pictures within text".

Before committing your pictures to a host website, ask yourself why is it free and what's in it for them. Part of the answer is the advertising on their webpages and the more popular the service, the higher the advertising rate they can demand. Most also have a subscription rate for more storage capacity, bandwith, etc. for around $20/year. This is not necessarily a bad thing as it does give you some assurance of future service.

Another part is that you give your permission to allow them to be shared with the world. The websites in a sense become a picture "depository" for anyone with access to copy them. You also must provide some information in order to set up an account which may or may not be shared or sold.

Unfortunately, many new picture hosts offer the world to build their user base and some later fail, closing up and taking the member pictures with them. Others resort to cutting back on their bandwidth and/or put in restrictions such as album capacity, size, etc. Again, choose wisely. Changing hosts later may render any pictures you posted as red [x]'s.

A survey was done of pictures posted here and these are some of the more popular hosts in use at rv.net today:
www.PhotoBucket.com
You can upload up to 20 pictures at once; photos larger than 250 KB are automatically scaled down.
Limitations: 25mb storage, 1500mb per month bandwidth, 250kb file size limit.

www.TinyPic.com
Very little known of this except that it is new and is the offspring of PhotoBucket.com. It is only two steps and very easy to use. The pictures are not archived as the service is designed more for auctions which are usually 30 days or less so longevity may be a question.

www.ImageShack.com
No signup required.
Limitations: File size limit 1024 KB. Images that have not been accessed in over a year will be deleted.

www.FotoTime.com
A one year subscription to the FotoTime service is required for those that want to keep their FotoTime account more than 30 days.

www.PictureTrail.com
New PictureTrail members are assigned a free Intro Account. After 31 days, they are switched to the free Basic Account if they have not already upgraded to the Premium account level. Free Basic accounts are eventually phased out from the system if not upgraded to the paid Premium level of $19.95/year and storage for up to 500 images.

www.WebShots.com
Per Webshots FAQ: "Webshots images can only be used within the Webshots Desktop software and on our website."

www.Shutterfly.com linking no longer allowed

www.free-webhosts.com is a website that lists many other picture hosts. Remember, you are "giving" your images to someone you do not know so choose your picture host wisely.

Many Internet Service Providers (ISP's) also offer free picture storage and allow linking. One caveat however is that if you later leave that provider, they will no doubt delete your pictures rendering any you posted as red [x]'s.

Not on the list are user groups with free photo album space. Yahoo groups do not allow linking but MSN Groups do. You can build your own at MSN Groups - start. You will only be allowed 3mb of storage space per member name but if more is needed, just get another membership. One caveat is that the website must remain open to public view and not require membership for access. MSN Web Documents for example is one that has access only by that member.

MSN Groups must have some activity within a 90-day period or are subject to being deleted. You can also join an existing groups website such as:
Open Roads Singles - must be a single RV.Net/Forum member with a reserved MSN Passport name
Open Roads Forum - approved application required, RV.Net/Forum name requested
RV's and More - approved application as well as e-mail response
RV Lifestyle - no application required

If any are familiar with picture hosts not mentioned, please send me a private message with that information.

Thank you

RVSnowbird

* This post was last edited 01/26/07 11:32am by RVSnowbird *   View edit history

shorebird

Long Beach, Ms.

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/05 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://myphotoalbum.com/ offers free hosting and linking.

2001 Ford E-350SD 6.8L V-10
707 Executive Conversion
Superchip 1715 Max Micro Tuner
K&N Cold Air Intake
Alpine Navigation System
2004 Fleetwood Pioneer 30TSB8

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/05 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myphotoalbum.com is not a free service as according to their terms, a picture purchase is required a minimum of once every 365 days.
Also, according to Item 4 of their Terms and Conditions:
"HOTLINKING IMAGES. Please note you cannot link directly to photos ("hotlinking"). You may link to the pages in your MyPhotoAlbum site, but you cannot link directly to the photos themselves. Should you attempt to hotlink photos you will see the MyPhotoAlbum logo instead. Accounts that are determined to be in violation of this condition shall be subject to suspension and/or removal, at the sole discretion of FortuneCity."

Dick M.

mokanmikey

Overland Park, Ks. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/05 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another site is YesAlbum.com

Quote:

YesAlbum.com provides free online photo and video album. It is a perfect place to share your digital photos with friends and family. Unlike most photo sites, we allow hot linking (direct linking). You may post image links on any forums, auction sites and blogs.
Membership is FREE

Coachmen Capri 27 TBS [/red][red]Ruby[/red] Edition 97 Dodge 2500 Mark III Conversion Van Champion 3500W Gen. [url=http://groups.msn.com/CoachmenRVers/mikescapri.msnw]My modification pages[/url] [blue]I used to make mental notes, but I couldn't read my writing![/blue] :E

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/05 01:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you for the link mokanmikey. I did check out the album and it appears to be as you say. Additional information: Allows linking, 1mb uploads, albums may be made public or private and no indication of restrictions. I am a little bothered however by one page on the website which they use as a "show and tell" of three of their member sites on their "[url=http://www.yesalbum.com/about_us.php]About us[/url]" page - all three the pictures are red [[red][b]x[/red][/b]]'s! Can any other member vouch for the [url=http://www.yesalbum.com/]YesAlbum.com[/url] service?

mokanmikey

Overland Park, Ks. USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/05 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just found that site last week after my trial membership to picture-trail expired. So far I'm pleased with the service but had not visited any of the ad sites (which I rarely do anyway, never know what you might find [emoticon] )

Coachmen Capri 27 TBS [/red][red]Ruby[/red] Edition 97 Dodge 2500 Mark III Conversion Van Champion 3500W Gen. [url=http://groups.msn.com/CoachmenRVers/mikescapri.msnw]My modification pages[/url] [blue]I used to make mental notes, but I couldn't read my writing![/blue] :E

HeresLucy

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/05 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Yahoo for email and picture storage to share w/family. I do not pay for either service. Though I have never inserted a link to my yahoo pics in a thread on rv.net .. i think it does work - because folks who went to Gettysburg rally are pointing members to a Yahoo album and it has many pics.

I'm really looking forward to the picture hosting here. I use tinypic.com to post an occassional image I want to share in RV.NET threads, but eager to begin using the the full blown picture hosting service to do more.

Lucy

2006 Allegro Bus 40' DP
2005 Grand Cherokee

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/05 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's Yahoo's Policy:
Quote:

What are Privacy Settings, and how can I use them?
Privacy Settings allow you to control access rights for your albums so any guest visiting your Yahoo! Photos personal URL (like http://photos.yahoo.com/My_Yahoo_ID/) will see only the albums you want them to see.

There are three settings: Private, Public, and Friends. By default, all albums are Private and will be invisible to guests trying to browse your personal URL. To make an album visible to any guest, set the album's sharing to Public. Or you can add the Yahoo! IDs of your friends to the Friends List to grant access to specific guests that are logged into Yahoo!.

Note: If you use Yahoo! Photos to send an photo-sharing invitation, any recipient of that invitation could come view that album even if it is set to Private. Any photo-sharing emails you send through Yahoo! Photos will override the Advanced Sharing Setting for that album. Uninvited guests who have not received a sharing email from you will not be able to see a Private album via http://photos.yahoo.com/My_Yahoo_ID/.
This does not pertain to Yahoo Groups as all require membership to view pictures. Yahoo does allow posting a link to pictures subject to the above but not posting the picture itself.

Dick M.

03Ultra

Central Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/06 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All my pictures are over-sized. How do I reduce them for posting?

2003 Harley Ultra Classic
2004 Itasca 36M Workhorse
2005 Trailblazer
2015 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/06 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first part of this tutorial is how I resize on a PC.

Resized, Panorama and multiple picture signatures

That tutorial is for signatures, but it is the same idea for all pictures, just the numbers change. For profile and pictures in the text of a post, the numbers are: max width = 640, max height = 480, max file size = 100 Kb.

Dick M (RVSnowbird) or I will be glad to do some resizing for you. Send a PM to either of us and we will send you an e-mail address to which you can send the pictures.

Tom

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Picture Host Information
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS