RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fiberglass vs aluminum siding? Wood vs aluminum frame?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Fiberglass vs aluminum siding? Wood vs aluminum frame?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
freediver

Redding, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/05 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I have been thinking for quite some time about upgrading to a TT. For a while we were set on a quad bunk trailer with rear queen slide. Now we're thinking about a walk around queen with either quad bunks or at least bunks...

As we look at trailers, it seems that the higher lines in general are aluminum framed with fiberglass siding. Yet as I read posts, I occasionally run across people saying they've never come across fiberglass trailers that aren't delaminating. The aluminum trailers seem to last forever if cared for. So, I thought I'd ask the experts what you all think--what's the best construction? Advantages and disadvantages of fiberglass siding vs. aluminum siding? Wood or aluminum framing?

Chris, Connie, 4 kids
'00 Coleman Cheyenne (keeping it!)
'05 Suburban K2500 8.1L
'06 Arctic Fox 26Z2

roedapple

gallipolis,ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/05 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aluminum framing will not rot.however aluminum siding dents very easy.

99 k1500 suburban ,2004 fourwinds express lite hybrid.19T

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/05 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aluminum framing does not rot. Fiberglas walls typically have more snappy graphics and, I think, are easier to clean but heavier and more expensive. It should be higher resale.
We have aluminum framing and fiberglass walls, front, and back.
BTW, there are no experts out here. By definition, an expert is someone that is more than 50 miles from the factory (or I think that's what it means).

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

dgreen1069

Bristow, VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/05 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told a while back that aluminum framing with fiberglass sides is ok, but wood framing with fiberglass sides is not. The reason is the wood framing can warp and twist which would be very obvious with smooth fiberglass sides. It makes sense to me. Stick with aluminum framing/fiberglass sides or wood framing/aluminum siding. I have had both and prefer the way the fiberglass looks. One does not seem to function any better that the other. Although aluminum siding dents more easily, it is far more easy to repair....simply replace the damaged piece.

2003 Excursion Limited
6.0 PSD/5sp Torqshift/3.73 Limited Slip
2003 Potomac 30 EBS
Hensley Arrow

jstar

Midlothian TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/05 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer fiberglass over aluminum siding and the Gel coat fiberglass is a must but its just now getting popular and not alot of manufactures are using it yet. I have had both types of fiberglass and the gel coat is far superior to the older type. JMHO

Jstar

spoolin'up

Holly, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/05 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've wondered the same thing. You'll get alot of people on here who say 'wood frames are just fine' or 'wood is better than aluminum' I'm no expert, but I think aluminum frames are better. They quit making airplanes out of wood about 70 or 80 years ago. I don't think all fiberglass siding delaminates, but you always hear about it when it does. Alot of the de-lam posts I've seen on here seem to be from certain manufacturers. If you're going to go with fiberglass I'd look for a mfr who's been using it for a few years without problems. Anytime something is new to a manufacturer there can be quality issues. Probably smooth aluminum siding is the best, but very few offer it. Quality fiberglass would be second best, but as you've pointed out, even the 'rippled' aluminum siding can last forever if it's built right to begin with. Look at airstreams, they're some of the most expensive and highest quality TTs made... Aluminum frames (in the walls) and aluminum siding.

2001 26' Coachmen Catalina Freedom Hauler
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Megacab 6.7 Cummins 4x4 6 speed auto

mjs5648

Gresham ,Or, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/05 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a aluminum frame with the rippled aluminun sides, (2005 Komfort)
I wanted the fiberglass sides but they were 2500.00 more. I do think the framing is the most important, I would go for the aluminum..

[i]Mike & Debbie 2004 3/4 ton chevy Duramax 2005 25tqs Komfort

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/05 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can have problems with both, get what strikes you when you see it, trust your eye.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Fiberglass vs aluminum siding? Wood vs aluminum frame?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS