RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Happy Camper or Frustrated Owner?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Happy Camper or Frustrated Owner?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/05 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread is a rerun of a thread I ran about a year ago. I was surprised and pleased that most of who posted to the previous thread were in the happy camper category. I thought I would rerun the thread again and to see if there is any difference and to see if there is any new wisdom out there.
Here is a link to the previous thread

This is thread is not intended to be a bashing tread, I am hoping to have a discussion that will benefit potential buyers by highlighting what they can do to give themselves the best chance to be a happy camper.

What is the best weapon to protect yourself from some of the many woe's that we read about on a daily basis on the forum. The question that keeps coming to mind is that some people will have very positive reviews of a particular make and model of a coach and others will have experiences that range from mildly frustrating to deplorable for the same make and model...

There seems to be a wide range of opinions about the state of quality in terms of what the standard is, where the fault lies, and what the remedies ought to be...Some are of the opinion that using the word quality and motorhome in the same sentence is inappropriate while others think otherwise, and still others that think that quality is a function of the make and model.

That brings the question of what is the best weapon to protect yourself into focus. From what I have read on the forum and garnished from the research I have done, no manufacture, no make or model is immune from quality issues. The issue as to what the causes for lapses in quality when they do occur might be have often been discussed... Design, engineering, manufacturing, quality control at the factory, quality assurance at the dealership, or due diligence on the part of the buyer remains as an open discussion. I am thinking that there is no one universal answer to this issue...Each component plays a role..... sometimes individually and at others in concert.

The other piece of the equation has to do with how problems are handled once discovered...We have all read about the frustrations with getting timely and adequate Reponses to minimize the impact of problems when they do occur.

So what is the best weapon to protect ones self from feeling more like a victim than a happy camper? Is it a selection process? Picking the right manufacture? Or picking the right dealer? Or is it more of a buyers diligence in not only picking the right manufacture and dealer or doing research up front and doing an exhaustive and thorough Pre Delivery Inspection?... Or is it in reality the luck of the draw?

So I am going to ask the hard question, giving that you chose the make and model that you did on the basis that the floorplan, chassis, and options that best meet your requirements and pocketbook..... If dissatisfied.....What could you have done differently, if anything to have the motorhome you choose to meet your expectations in terms of quality?

For those of you that are satisfied, how do you account for being a happy camper?

JohnnyT

Alain Rheault

St-Jérome Qc. Cnd.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/05 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] i was happy with my citation class c 23.5 foot , it was a 1988 GMC 5.4 liter, and i'm sure the new owner still will have some happy time with it!

I change for a used classA in jan 2005, the one you see in my signature ( Trail lite 271 2002 on a Workhorse )

I bought it for the good price (60k$CDN)=(48kUS$) low milage (7,500) and the general shape of it! and a lot of extra on it (Big foot leveler, gen, bigger fridg, bigger stove and more and more... )

I'm happy with it!

The better ting i like on it! the power of the 8.1 litter , plenty of pedal there! accelerate good and have plenty of power to go uphill easyly. I Like the Workhorse frame since my MH is one of the smaller one build on that chassis, giving me plenty of safety margin.

The 2 only ting i would realy like more on that Rig is a dinette instead of that sofa and maybe.. a full body paint (but my best half like it that way! )

* This post was edited 07/12/05 05:20pm by Alain Rheault *

plleease mr.Sam (The Uncle one!)keep that *gaz* low and availiable!

MH: 2002 R-Vison Trail-lite 271 WH GM 8.1
Toad: 2002 Chev S10
FQCC Member
Good Sam Club Member
My personal RV's pages

Country Roamer

Mission Viejo, California

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/05 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[COLOR=#990000][b]Wouldn't change a thing! Even with the problems we've experienced! We were seeking a unit that had a more traditional living room and a larger kitchen. What we didn't want was a living room full of couches and a TV that precipitated neck pain by having it mounted on the ceiling. So after looking at many units over a 6 month period, we got exactly what we wanted at 30% off! My thoughts, don't jump at the first unit you find. Shop shop shop around, compare, and buy what you want and within an established budget. And most of all... enjoy what you bought with your family and camping friends! So yeah, we're happy campers![/COLOR]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/05 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I would have to classify myself as a Happy Camper. We purchased this MH slightly pre-owned with 6 months of warranted remaining from the manufacture and 1-4 years from the component manufactures. Even though I am the 2nd owner Travel Supreme's factory people have treated my like a new customer. I have only had one TS issue and they sent the part at no charge FedEx and followed up with a phone call the next morning asking if I need tech support help to install the part. Talk about second owner service!

A few minor problem with some components installed, but they have all been GREAT as well. One was the Equalizer leveling system, which sent me the new 2005 upgrade kit including heavier motor and new jack sensor switch, all at no charge. One hour labor and all problems were solved.

The money we saved purchasing this unit allowed us to upgrade to what I feel was a super coach in this price range. I have enjoyed upgrading the unit as much as I have traveling in it. The DW absolutely loves the floor plan and can't wait to get in it to see the country.

We are Happy Campers,

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

HTALLEN

Fremont,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/05 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started looking for a m/h about 2 years ago, our budget allowed for a 5-7 year old unit with no slide out.... but during the middle of the process I had a reccurance of my prostate cancer ( I'd had surgery the year before), so the day I found out, we happened on a 32 Southwind VS for quite a bit more $$ than planned. However, as they say life is short ( hopefully not for me personally, but with cancer one never knows). We have enjoyed the size and amenties of our unit and am glad we reached beyond our original budget.We have put about 4500 completely trouble free miles on it.

1997 Southwind 32 VS,Banks,SafeTPlus,Bilsteins,Henderson Trac Bar
3 maniac poodles..Mozart (RIP 10/6/10),Ziggymonster,Nickolas
Honda Civic

jahapp

Wherever the soft breeze blows

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/05 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I certainly fall into the happy camper category, and have been for 7 of my eight coaches. I think though we all would like to have perfection, but it is hardly likely the case in lot's of things in life.

I think people should look at 5 things when problems occur:
1. Were you courteous during your initial and subsequent dialogue with the repair facility?
2. Were the warranty/repair people courteous and professional?
3. Were your problems addressed in a timely manner? 3-4 weeks is normal to get an appointment during the busier months.
4. Were the problems corrected as asked and as covered by the warranty?
5. Did the same problems recur after being "fixed"?

If the problem or problems is not "fixed" after you have been given notice that it has, you probably have a right to be unhappy even if the answer to the the first four questions are positive.The best dealer/manufacturer in the world is going to have a few employees who are just not meant to be in their positions.

Let's get on the road and smile!!!

And remember: The worst thing you have ever seen may be the best thing someone has ever had.

Jim

rich racin

Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/05 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say overall a happy camper. I don't like the rubber roof that is too hard to clean especially bad for me because I have a problem staying on my feet too long. Best part of this experience has been the dealer, Dewalt's RV in Easton,Pa. They take very good care of that MH.

Rich & Karen
1999 Coachman Santara
Malibu Tow'd

Herewego

Florida State Seminole Fans

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/05 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I account for being a happy camper by accepting that there is no such thing as a perfect MH. Period. As stated, every manufacturer throws out a lemon. Every manufacturer has quality issues. That's not just in the RV industry either.

I've purchased two RV's since 2001. In each instance, the fear of getting a lemon was evident. Due diligence. Willingness to accept that there will be issues with a house that will roll down bumpy roads, is what gets me through it.

Why a happy camper? Well....to start, we love our floor plan. We love our dealer. We love our service department. We have faith in the manufacturer. We have faith in Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance. Manufacturer and Good Sam were tested on our last trip. Both fell over themselves trying to assist. I accept what I can't change. I've become a handier individual and have enjoyed the ever-increasing opportunities to sit back after resolving an issue and taking pride in my work.

That.....my good friend, is why I'm a happy camper.

">
2004 Coachmen Aurora on a FORD V-10 Chassis
2004 Jeep Liberty
Don't take your organs to Heaven. Heaven knows we need them here!

">

NotDoneYet

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/05 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a very happy camper so far. When I did my initial research which was extensive, I figured that I was going to have to spend about $30-40,000 more for what I thought I wanted and needed than what I ended up spending.

That $30,000+ savings gave me a lot of breathing room. Since I will only use my MH for long weekends and a few weeklong trips, I feel real good about not breaking the bank in order to have more than what I really needed.

* This post was edited 07/12/05 06:44pm by NotDoneYet *

Dave
2005 Endura 6340
Duramax
Datastorm

chring

Brooksville, Fl & North East, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/05 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a happy camper. RV'ing is new to us so we tried to buy a dependable but used motorohome as cheap as we could just to see if we even liked RV'ing. I did a great deal of research on dependable brands that resale well so if we didnt like RV'ing, then we didnt have a pile of money involved and could sell out at a very small loss. If we liked it we could sell out and trade up without any problems.

Well we love the lifestyle enough that my wife is taking a year off from work, we are upgrading to a DP, some of my investments paid off handsomely so we are hitting the open road next year. It all just fell right in place.

As a bonus, this old 1993 Bounder has performed for us flawlessly. No blow outs, no appliances have gone bad, everything on this coach works perfectly and I can honestly say that the next set of owners will have a very nice coach to use for years to come. I currently have it listed and will be buying a used DP this fall.

At this moment in time, I am a happy camper and am grateful I got my hands on a great coach.

Chris

2005 Ambassador 40 PLQ
2001 Grand Vitara
2006 20 ft Haulmark Enclosed Car Hauler
Two Motorcycles for enjoyment

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Happy Camper or Frustrated Owner?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS