RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 2000 Coach House class b motorhome?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> 2000 Coach House class b motorhome?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/05 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

utevista, another important indicator of driveability is how many miles are on it... since this one has 32,000 miles - that's a good sign. Previous owner's didn't seem afraid to put a few miles on it.

Most likely if it was a really bad "white knuckle" experience it would have far fewer miles on it. Really low mileage in a Dodge Class B ain't always a good thing.

There's a 99 Pleasure-Way for sale not too far away that only has 6,000 miles on it... Could be for any number of reasons, but it ain't hard to imagine one possible reason for it's low mileage - owner was probably afraid to drive it.

ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/05 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coach House built a fine Class B with very good quality...

But the Dodge chassis, especially from the redesign in 98' and newer, can be very scary to drive.

I promise you, we ain't foolin'. Like Jim said, take it on a looong test drive... windy conditions in lotsa traffic with big trucks goin' by both ways would be perfect.

Then, just for the heck of it, drive a new or used late model Roadtrek or Pleasure-Way on the Chevy chassis.

Then decide.

You may be just fine with the Dodge. My 98 DOdge P'Way didn't bother me, but it was a 97 chassis (before the redesign). My 2000 Dodge P'Way wasn't really any more trouble to drive, as near as I could tell. But the 99 RT 200 on the Chevy chassis drove like a dream in comparison. The '01 Dodge American Cruiser was scary at times, but I attribute some of it's problem to the much larger roof profile. The 04 Chevy RT drives like a dream.

BTW, IMO the price is fair if it's a really nice rig that drives well... and if it makes you smile!
With some time and hard shopping (and willingness to travel to pick one up) you could possibly do better on price, but I don't think you'll regret purchasing at this price if you think it's the right rig.

2 Big Cruisers, The Little Man, and Bailey / ARcruiser's Class B's (the first 8)
Rig #8 Under Construction! / Here's the Project Thread - I'm actually working on it again!

BAD

Los Gatos, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/05 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dear Utevista,

We looked at the Coach house Class B before buying our 2002 RT 190P. We visited the factory in Florida and thought the coach was very well make. Then we took a test drive. It was a joke. The vehicle was all over the road. I thought my husband was fooling around. The salesman said " oh, something is wrong with this one, lets go back and get another." We did and it did the same thing. So by all means drive yours before deciding.

Barbara
2005 Chevy Roadtrek 210Popular
Los Gatos, CA

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/05 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a '99 chassis, '00 conversion, Dodge 3500 Roadtrek 190 Verstile, also fully-equipped. The price sounds about right, but check NADA's web site.

Do yourself a big favor. Confirm cold tire inflation (proabaly 60-65 F & 80 R, if load range E; look on door post for sticker). Then take a test drive on a variety of surfaces (rough, wavy, etc.), curvey two lanes, and 4-lane among fast passing truck traffic. Wind would be nice, too. Take note of the way it drives & handles. _Some_ of the Dodge 1-ton vans from that era have some _very_ squirrelly handling & driving manners. Some can be fixed with shocks and maybe a few other mods; some cannot. There are a few of us who suspect that this is made worse by Michelin LTX tires, but IMO that's not all of it. BTDT, got the greasy, pricey T-shirt, but sold the van.

The usual issues in buying a used vehicle & RV apply, as well... tires should be replaced if 5-6 years old, regardless of tread remaining. Check carefully for water leaks & resulting damage, especially around the rear door (a Dodge specialty ). Be sure all appliances work, including the generator at load (should run smoothly, without changing rpm once warmed up for a minute or so). It should have a full set of manuals for all equipment, as well as the van owner's manual.

HTH, & good luck!

Jim, "Veni, Veni, Visa (I came, I saw, I did a litle shopping)."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory') www.tigervehicles.com

utevista

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/05 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have located a 2000 Coach House motorhome on a Dodge Chassis. It has a generator, air and awning and of course is self contained. It has 32,000 miles on it and is in top shape inside and out and I can buy it for $29,617. Does this sound like a fair price? Anyone out there with any experience driving or owning a similar unit?

Thanks in advance!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> 2000 Coach House class b motorhome?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS