|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Todd Engineering 75 amp Charger/Converter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Steve Scharfe

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/05 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Todd Engineering 75 Amp Charger/Converter in my 2000 Gulfstream Class A Motorhome. The problem with it is: When I'm dry-camping and I charge the batteries, the fan on the converter continues to run and it wears down the batteries. I tried to call Todd Engineering but I understand they're no longer in business. Does anyone have any suggestions...?

Dick A

Spokane

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/05 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the original engineering prints from Todd Engineering were acquired by IOTA. Perhaps one of their current products is similar to yours. Below is a link to their website page of .pdf prints.
http://www.iotaengineering.com/pptech.htm

2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
"Pisqually" the attack kitty

V10 man

Tempe, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/05 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Todd converter is doing the same thing. I have yet to deal with it other than disconecting the 12V supply.

1977 Ford F250 Supercab, 2002 Coleman Westlake

MELM

GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/05 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is probably a thermal switch that is sticking in the on position. And there might be a fair amount of dust in the converter that is hindering the cooling.

If you have a bit of tech background, you can probably open it and see the switch in the wiring going to the fan. They often have a couple of screws holding them to the chassis, and a couple of wires with the slide on connectors. They are often available at electronic and appliance parts places, and aren't too expensive.

Mel

Mach1

West of the River

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/05 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too heard they went out of business or were sold. You would probably be better off with a new three stage switch converter anyway. Try Best Converter

Power4RV

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/05 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am more of an electronics technician than a camping expert. If you have AC power connected to the Todd Engineering unit, the fan should only be running in an "over temperature" condition inside the charger it self. If AC is not being supplied to the charger, but battery power is connected to the output terminals of the charger, the fan should not be running at all, unless there is something internally wrong with the charger. It also makes a difference which version charger you have. Is yours silver with a red logo, or silver with black lettering? Either way it sounds like your charger has a problem. Even so, the fan is only rated at about .2 amps and shouldn't effect your batteries.
Thanks,
Ashby

* This post was edited 08/22/05 07:26pm by an administrator/moderator *

Mach1

West of the River

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/05 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve,
When you are dry camping, what are you using to charge your batteries? Generator? I don't think you are getting much charge to the batteries unless you run the charger many hours or even days. Those older units have a small separate charge line of only a few amps. Also, I suppose it could be a DC fan motor but I would have though it was AC and only ran with shore or gen power. I would check to make sure your batteries are in fact charged too.

aktrvler

Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/05 01:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 03/04/06 02:23pm by aktrvler *

97 F250HD,SC 351W,4X4,1994 Lance 4000
Ride Rites,Honda Eu2000i,PD9140

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Todd Engineering 75 amp Charger/Converter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues