|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Alternate Quick Picture Hosts

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/05 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a trend away from on-line photo album hosting. There are many advantages to having such a service that offers free storage, i.e., albums but what if you only want a one-time upload? To answer that question, I went to www.free-webhosts.com which gives sort options of "Rating", "Most Popular", "Date Added", or "Last Modified". I skipped over the Sponsored hosts as they pay to be listed at the top leaving 62 available services.

Before using such a service, consider why it is free and the answer is advertising. This can be anything from ads on their website and/or cookies dropped on your computer. A simple precaution after using one is to later dump your cache, i.e., Control Panel/Internet Options or Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options and click on "Delete Cookies" followed by "Delete Files" including off-line content.

The specific criteria I was looking for was:
1. Linking allowed
2. No registration or sign up required
3. Clickable to enlarge thumbnail
4. No host name added to picture
5. No indicated time limit (some auto-delete after 30-60-90 days)

They are all similar and very easy to use. Click on Browse, find the picture in your computer and double click on it. Next, click on Upload (or Host it) and copy the URL that starts with [IMG ] and ends with [/IMG ]. Upper or lower case is not sensitive. That URL is what you paste into the Image Editor (icon that looks like a bowling ball and swim goggles....) and if the posted picture size exceeds 640x480, please enter "640" in the Width box below the URL.
Each also offers the picture URL including in HTML format for posting or sharing with family and friends.

Out of curiosity, I started with "Last Modified" and the results surprised me as some were an updated service within the past week! Here are my picks:

Picture Upload Only
[image]
www.tinypic.com
over 250kb automatically resized; .jpg, .gif, .png, .bmp
note: no embedded link in picture!

[image]
www.picvault.info
offers thumbnail but lacks the "[IMG ] for it to work; maximum 1024kb; .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .png
note: no embedded link in picture!

[image]
www.freeimagehosting.net
maximum size 200kb; gif, jpg, bmp, png; embedded link in enlargement to host website

[image]
www.imagesubmit.com/
maximum 4500kb; .jpg/.jpeg, .gif, .png, and .bmp; embedded link in enlargement to host website

[image]
www.photohosting.info
maximum 100kb; gif, jpg, png; embedded link in enlargement to host website

The following offer a clickable thumbnail option
Note: these are recommended if your picture is larger than 640x480 pixels. Just add a "click to enlarge" comment after or below the picture.

[image][image]
http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com
Allows multiple picture uploads. No information provided on upload limitations. Clicking on either the thumbnail or picture displays the full size on the AllYouCanUpload page.
Note: both "for a forum or message board" category links are in error. Copy the simple link in "for an Email or Instant Messenger" and paste that into the Photo Editor of the tool bar.

[image]
www.imageshack.us
thumbnail available only on larger pictures that opens at their website; maximum size 1024kb; .jpeg/.jpg, .png, .gif, .bmp, .tif/.tiff, .swf; embedded link in enlargement to host website

[image][image]
http://filehost
click to enlarge opens on a blank page; maximum 5000kb; .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .bmp
note: no embedded link in enlargement!

[image][image]
http://letmehost.com
click to enlarge opens on a blank page; no upload size or accepted file types provided
note: no embedded link in enlargement!

[image][image]
www.imagecabin.com
click to enlarge opens on a blank page; maximum 1024kb; gif, jpg, bmp, png, swf, tif
embedded link in enlargement to host website

[image][image]
www.theimagehosting.com
click to enlarge opens at their website; maximum size 1mb; .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .swf, .png; automatic thumbnail for pictures over 200x200; embedded link in enlargement to host website

[image][image]
www.desearch.net
click to enlarge opens on unauthorized page; maximum 4mb; jpg, zip, jpeg, gif, png, swf; embedded link in enlargement to host website; questionable reliability

The following not run for the reason given
www.imgreactor.com load error
maximum 1024kb (1mb) jpeg, png, gif

www.imglockup.com load error
maximum 1024kb; jpeg, png, gif

www.simpload.com load error
maximum 1024kb; .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .jfif, .png, .gif, .tif, .tiff, swf

www.yourupload.com (slow upload, aborted)
maximum 2500kb; gif, jpg, png, ico, bmp, jpeg, tif, tiff

www.yourimg.com (wouldn't run)

www.myimagedepot.com (note: not done, requires Active-X)
maximum 1024kb; .gif, .jpg, .png, .bmp, .jpeg, .swf

www.imgsharing.com (TROJAN VIRUS DETECTED!!!)

It is interesting to note the samples above that now produce a red [x] instead of a picture. The true test of a photo host is how long they will store your images and those failed the test of time!

* This post was last edited 02/28/07 11:23am by RVSnowbird *   View edit history

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/05 01:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as you can see, two have already failed the "test of time", that of www.imagecabin.com and www.freeimagehosting.net. That is the reason for this kind of testing and they will soon be moved to the failed website portion.

I cannot personally vouch for any of the above, only in their past performance so be very careful who you submit your personal photographs to..... ok?

Dick M.

RVSnowbird

OR-NV-AZ-OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/06 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally have been using "[u]http://letmehost.com[/u]" for some websites including here in RV.Net. As you can see from the above, it now produces a red [[red][b]X[/red][/b]] wherever I posted them. That photo hosting website no longer exists! That is a chance we take when we commit our photo's to a host service, free or paid. For the most part, they are advertiser driven and like any business, in it for profit. When that income does not meet their expectations, they simply close up shop. Dick M.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Forum Technical Support

> Alternate Quick Picture Hosts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Forum Technical Support

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS