RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: How to carry 6 bikes?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How to carry 6 bikes?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
lucky1

Downingtown, PA (SE PA)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/05 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Outside of a trailer (and I don’t want to carry them on the roof or on the front), does anyone know how I can get 6 bicycles on the hitch of my ’91 Winnebago 27' Class C. It has a class c hitch that can handle the weight, but I can’t find a bike carrier for 6 bikes. I already have a 4-bike carrier with a receiver and thought about “stacking” another rack on the end of it. Anyone see problems with that? Any other advice or ideas?

Tim ">, wife ">, 4 children ">">">">
Southeast Pennsylvania
Current: '91 Winnebago, 27', HWH Jacks, 4k Gen, and all the creature comforts a true camper should be ashamed of ">
Past -1: '90 Coleman Plantation
Past -2: Lowe backpack and a tent

NY RVer

Hudson Valley, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/05 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you have a ladder in the rear of the rig? I have a four place rack on the hitch, and a two place for the ladder when my kids have friends come along. I don't know about extending even further on the hitch; no ground clearance, at least not on mine. Good luck.

2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7 Cummins
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
Reese Dual Cam

critterpainter

Calif central coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/05 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My friend modified his bike rack to hold 2 bikes FORWARD of the upright and 3 behind. His rack has a pin at the bottom that allows you to hing the rack back to load the front bikes. I cheated and bought a bigfoot garage model class C.

Bill

driveby

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/05 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

why not 2 on the front? Would seem to be an option - there was a recent post on how to mount so the bikes don't block the headlights etc.

I second the veto on the extension. I've seen my rack wobble around with just 3 bikes and it is the direct fit into a class 3 hitch, never mind 2x that length.

2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Class A
1997 TJ Sahara, hard and soft tops and AC
Held together via Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar and stopped by US Gear Unified Brake system.

HocusPocus

Hudson, NH

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/05 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There will be available in about 3 months a rack for the rear hitch receiver for six bikes. It will be three above three , also available a cargo platform below the two racks. I have seen proto-types, its pretty neat, all heights and separations are adjustable. Their web site will be rvraxx.com in about two months. I have no interest in the endeavor but do camp with some of the principals.
HP

hotrod4x5

Southern Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/05 12:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used a rear mount 4 bike rack and man does it shake. I wouldn't want to modify it for 2 more. I agree about 2 up front, 4 our back. I put 4 on the front of my F250, no issues with heat, headlights or vision, so 2 shouldn't be a problem.

Rodney Former Owner of: 2005 Laredo 29GS 2002 F250 V-10 Yamaha EF3000iSEB (and NOT a GS Member)

time_to_go_now

La Mirada, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/05 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 5-bike XP rack from Swagman. It is a beast! I can't imagine a 6-bike version. Depending on the size of the bikes, it may be possible to get one extra cradle and slip it on the bar. This would give you six bike capacity.

Six bikes is a lot to carry on the vehicle.

Funny thing is, I bought this rack so I could carry bikes for me, the wife, and three kids. I never bring my bike and neither does one of my kids. My wife brings hers 50% of the time. A two bike rack would have been fine!

Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/18, Boy/15, Girl/13
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/05 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could only find this 5 bike rack from Swagman:
[image]
I don't see how you can escape a front mounted rack or ladder rack, unless you buy the 3 bike hitch and tow Swagman like I got (see picture) from Camping World and install another 3 or more bike rack on your toad.

3 bike rack that allows you to carry bikes and tow a car:
[image]
My rack slides and mounts onto my Roadmaster Blackhawk tow bar, and the same bar is mounted into my MH hitch and I take my bikes and car w/ me. If I need to take more bikes all I need to do is add a bike rack to car that I take camping w/ me. If I need even more bikes I could install a roof mounted rack system on the car as well.

The possibilities are out there, good luck finding yours,

Artgen

Renton, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/05 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered having a front and back bike hitch?

hotrod4x5

Southern Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/05 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Artgen wrote:

Have you considered having a front and back bike hitch?
He said he didn't want to carry them on the roof or the front.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How to carry 6 bikes?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS