|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Buying used

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jetsfan68

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am thinking of trading in my 5th wheel for either C or an A. Seems to be a fair amount of used ones out there with low miles. I'm a little about buying used just for the fact that you have no idea how well it was taken care of- And what shape the tanks are in.
I just don't think I can afford new- Any other things to look out for when buying used?

TonyMin

Walnut Creek CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tanks will be fine. Just check for leaks. Leaks are enemy #1.

'98 Shasta Cheyenne 280 highrise, widebody

joanne0012

Boston, MA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Judging by the exasperated threads on these boards, a lot of those low-mileage rigs have lots of chronic problems that dealers can't fix, or refuse to fix, so the owners are selling because they have given up on them. So be sure to check out the RV aspects (electrical, slides, cabinets, etc.) as thoroughly as the chassis.

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really do get what you inspect,
Not what you expect.

Count on spending some time and money inspecting EVERYTHING in an RV before you buy it. Doesn't matter if it is new or used. On a used rig, have some interior parts removed to check for moisture damage if there is any clue of possible leakage. If there is leakage, do not buy. Take the rig to a trusted mechanic for a thorough mechanical check. It'll cost something, but cost less than buying a real lemon.

Ken

I'm free of prostate cancer for 5 years now.
All men over age 50 should get an annual PSA blood test. Mine had a low reading, but the yearly jump was significant. The biopsy showed cancer just entering the aggressive stage. Dr. Hackenslash removed it.

RoadAbode

Philadelphia

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw you're in NJ - We bought @ Hitcharama

I Agree with other Posts
We checked out 3 units there pretty Throughly before we decided on RoadAbode. Then we did another Lookover for another 2-3 hours of Everything - made a checklist. Anything we asked them to fix - no Problem.
Glad we did - the only thing I forgot to check was Coach battery Strength - It apparently was pretty Near Dead -Wouldn't hold charge too long" - Replaced that - Not Bad - Only a $75 "mistake" [emoticon]
Have had Some great Times with the family!

The RoadAbode Crew
Mike ~ Amy ~ Kimberly ~ Emily ~ and Molly the pup
RoadAbode Blog

prchoudh

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first RV was a 94 used Winnebago. I made the choice to buy used because I felt that I could not afford a new one. I had the RV inspected by 2 independent mechanics who had a great repuation in the industry. After I took ownership of it, it drained my pocketbook. I spent on an average of $500-$600 per month and sometimes in excess of $1500 per month. After the end of the year, I had it and traded it in. I lost a TON of money trading it in but, I wanted something brand new. I still did not want to buy a new MH so, I settled on a TT figuring that was the cheaper route. I hated driving the TT after 6 months and thought about getting a used MH again. However, I did not want to relive my experience again and bought a brand new 2006 MH.

Apparently, when you buy a used RV you need to get one that is less than a few years old. The manufacturer usually builds components to last at most 7 years then they need replacement. At that time, mine was bordering on 10 years. Various things went on it ranging from driveshaft seals, water pump, leaky doghouse cover blowing hot air on my feet all the time, refrigerator and furnace. Some of these items I never fixed when I traded it in. I feel somewhat sorry for the person who inherited my problems.

I did meet another person who purchased a 20 year old MH with about 5K miles. He thought it was a "diamond in the rough". He took it to a mechanic because it was losing power. The exhaust pipe was clogged and the headers were glowing red from the back pressure. He spent more on that RV to fix it then it was worth.

Do not make the same mistake that I made. Buy new!! You NEVER know what you are getting and even the best mechanic might not be able to spot everything or, if it work today will it work tomorrow.

If you go to the RV lots to look at the new RV's, the finance rates are competitive and can be spanned over 15 years or more. The payment then becomes reasonable and when you consider a used bargain and the maintenance and/or repair costs of the "used" bargain, you will come out ahead with a new one.

Feel free to PM me with questions. Also buying a used one off of the RV lots is gamble as well. Most will only warranty it for the first few hundred feet AND they do this for a reason. You can usually buy an extended warranty on the used one but, it is generally not worth it because it does not cover much or it is so expensive every month that it is not practical.

2006 Fleetwood Tioga 31M(Bilsteins,Safe-T Plus,BANKS,K&N filter,Hellwig Sway Bars,Blue Ox Aventa,US GEAR Unified Tow Brake)
2006 Chevrolet HHR
2006 PT Cruiser Turbo
1 Child & 3 dogs(2 Border Collies and 1 Cocker Spaniel)

AGRNBRTSLOVE

NJ,USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a used 2000 Tioga Class C with slide in 2004 from White Horse RV in Turnersville,NJ. Have not had a single problem in the past year, we did replace all the tires though. It only had 16,000 miles on it and still smelled new! I think something less than 5 years old you can get in your price range.

WarBound

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought a 1997 Fleetwood Jamboree couple weeks back. Can try to answer any questions you may have and how I did it. Kind of short on time right now because have to take son to football practice. Be home in a few hours and can assist more[emoticon]

1997 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye-31
Ford Triton V-10 28k miles
Full basement model with all options

TonyMin

Walnut Creek CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buying new with a 15 year loan would be setting yourself up for the biggest possible financial loss that will take years to get rid off.
When shopping I saw too many people trying to sell their units for unrealistic prices just because they still owed so much on it.
The 7 year old unit we just bought is like new and had 51k miles. If you finance, keep the length of the loan reasonable so you won't get upside down too much should you decide to sell it.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/05 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1.Buy as new as you can afford , it can save you money.
2.Don't buy too small, beginners are often over-awed by apparent size.
3.Make sure you like sleeping accomodations, overhead beds can get to be a problem for people with arthritis, etc getting up and down the ladder. Setting up and taking down beds and bedding can be a pain.
4.Make sure that everything works ,chassis and house, or know how much it is really going to cost to fix stuff.Generators, dash and roof A/C, engine cooling sytem, awnings,
5.If tires are over 5 years old replace them, regardless of tread depth or appearance, old tires are dangerous to you and your rig when they blow or come apart.
6. If there are any stains, moldy smells or other evidence of water leakage around ceiling, etc. don't buy.
7.Take your time, don't buy on impulse, when in doubt, don't!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Buying used
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS