Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Michelin XRV 255/80 22/5 Replacement

Posted By: IU Fan on 09/26/05 12:44pm

I just experienced 2 inside sidewall dual blowouts on my 2002 DP. I have been very diligent to make certain we are not overloaded and check the tire pressure frequently. Also I treat the tires with 303 and cover them when parked any length of time....needless to say the inside duals didn't suffer from exposure to the sunlight!!

The tires have about 30,000 miles on them and I now have decided to replace all 6 of them as I also tore up a fender skirt ($500+ to replace) with one of the blowouts....don't want a front tire blow out either!!!

Wondering who is replacing these tires with Toyo, Bridgestone or Goodyear and what results you are experiencing. I know that Michelin is the only mfg making the 255/80 size so wondering what alternative size people are going with.

Thanks!

IU Fan
Cloverdale, IN
2007 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 33', 2 slides
2006 HD2500 GMC with 8.1 gas engine....25 mpg (LOL...wishful thinking)

Posted By: Kenneth on 09/26/05 03:10pm

There can be some change in tire size that is acceptable. I'd suggest calling Cooper Tires and asking them if their CXMT320 is suitable for your use.

Cooper Tire
Consumer Relations: 1-800-854-6288

Ken

I'm free of prostate cancer for 5 years now.
All men over age 50 should get an annual PSA blood test. Mine had a low reading, but the yearly jump was significant. The biopsy showed cancer just entering the aggressive stage. Dr. Hackenslash removed it.

Posted By: ole trucker on 09/26/05 03:16pm

hello, this has been talked about often out here, but, try 275/80 with load range of 16 ply, either h or j, can't recall which it is. made a great improvement on our endeavor, as far as handling and ride, and after 15k miles they are doing fine! jmo, will

Posted By: Stan's Customs on 09/26/05 04:11pm

The XRV is a ligher constructed tire with a shallower tread to run cooler ...Talked to Michelin again last week..

One of their reps told me that they had a few problems with the XRV's (I'd say that's an understatement) but "never" with the XZE's (and I'd say that's the way most other Michelin tires are viewed..excluding XRV's) The tread is 3/10" (a lot) deeper and the side wall is heavier on the XZE....with an almost identical tread pattern.

I believe this is the problem seen on the XRV's we hear so much about...just too light. I believe Michelin still to be the tire of choice provided it's not an XRV...

~Stan..

* This post was edited 09/26/05 04:19pm by Stan's Customs *

Posted By: RayChez on 09/26/05 04:48pm

If all these XRV's are blowing up, why doesn't Michelin replace them before people start getting killed. Is there a number a person can call to complain about all these problems with the XRV's 22.5 255/80? I can't remember if it was Firestone or Bridgestone that had a lot of problems on mini vans. But they recalled all those tires at no cost to the owners. Maybe if we all start making some calls and complaining will result on a recall on these tires. If they are that dangerous we should also let our congressment know about them. I am willing to do my share if I could just get a phone number from Michelin.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

Posted By: tupelo on 09/26/05 04:49pm

I just went and looked at my Michelin tires and they are the XPS RIB, they are 16" tires, are these OK? The previous owner had all six (6) replaced before I purchased it last November, they have maybe 5,000 miles on them!

1995 Fleetwood Bounder 35UW

USE & SUPPORT CB CHANNEL 13

Posted By: normanmk on 09/26/05 05:03pm

Yet another Michelin XRV failure story. The XRV tires are just pure cra&. Yes, I am a member of the XRV blowout club. I have literally owned thousands of Michelin tires & still have over 100 on my trucks & personal autos. I went with the Goodyear G169s on my current MH. They have a much deeper tread than the G670s & didn't cost me much more money.

Posted By: slates on 09/26/05 05:06pm

I replaced my 235/80/22.5 XRVs with Toyo 265/75/22.5s and could not be happier. Much better ride, much better handling, especially in the wet, and quite reasonably priced. I had a local Chicago Bandag dealer do the work. They came out to the coach, changed the tires, and used equal for balancing. I remain very satisfied.

Slates
'00 Tradewinds 7370 300hp 3126 CAT
'03 VW TDi daily driver
'84 Reynard Formula Ford just for fun!

Posted By: moisheh on 09/26/05 05:19pm

You will see that a lot of the OEM's have gone to Goodyears. BUT there have been a few stories in this forum about blowouts with them as well. The person who asked about XPS ribs: These are great tires. I had 50,000 trouble free miles on a set. One of their better selling truck tires. Never heard of a problem. The blowouts seem to occur on 19.5 and 22.5. I know my next statement does not make sense BUT their appears to be a problem with tires that are ".5" I remember the old 16.5 bias ply tires. I blew 4 of them. All different makes. Changed the wheels and tires to 16 inch and end of problem. Go figure.

Posted By: dlloyd on 09/26/05 05:54pm

You did not say if you weighed the unit on all four corners. If you didn't, you could still have been overloaded. However, since you experienced outside tire failures, I would suspect age and loading to be the culprit.
I replaced 255/80R22.5XRV Michelins on our 2000 HREndeavor with 275/80R22.5 MichelinsXPS and was very satisfied with the load carrying capacity, the ride and the handling, all of which was much improved over the smaller size. If you haven't already, you should weigh the unit on all four corners to see what load range you need. Take the weights and go to the load tables (they are available on the internet) for the brand you are considering and see what pressure you will need for the size tire you are considering. If the pressure is too high (110 to 120) you will get a rough ride and more tendancy to wander. I would target for no more than 95-100 psig required. Make sure the tires you buy have not been in a warehouse for a couple of years.
The Goodyear G159 and G169 were manufactured for short haul freight business, not RV service where we sometimes do long hauls with all sorts of weather conditions. Both the G159 and G169 gave trouble in RV service. That is why Goodyear designed and manufactured the G670. So far, they have been much better tires for RV's than they had before. They are relatively new (2003 I think) so the history is not there to say how good they really are.
The number of miles you get on your tire is sort of inconsequential because 99% of us will age them out before we wear the tread out. Buy the best you can get! The tire is the last thing between you and mother earth. AND BE SURE TO WEIGH ALL FOUR CORNERS to determine tire pressure required! Good luck and Happy Traveling.

Posted By: Stan's Customs on 09/26/05 06:05pm

I've been looking at this thing for a long while...Have talked to Michelin 5 or 6 times. If it isn't an XRV...I haven't seen a trend of any kind other than excellence from Michelin. I've done this because I have a lot of Michelins on other vehicles...at least 30 or more tires, excluding my MOHO which has 8 Michelins. (XZA 8R19.5's). Really trying to get to the bottom of this...the XZE in the 19.5 or 22.5 has a huge amount of tread compared to the XRV..

I'm gettting ready to put XZE 225/70's on the front of my MOHO which has new 8x19.5's now....the XRV has such a bad rep I had to do some serious research. The I'm confident XZE is the answer...and I wanted to satisfy my curiosity that this was isolated to one tire series, so I wouldn't worry about all the other Michelins I'm runnung as well..

XZE's and XRV's look the same except the XRV looks like half the tread is already gone...well duh...wonder why it doesn't hold up as well?? I had to see them side by side..Shallower tread runs cooler my foot...they are just cheaper to build IMHO! Too bad.. the bad press cost them way more than they saved.

Posted By: IU Fan on 09/26/05 07:13pm

Great info from everyone here! I've learned today that Bridgestone and Toyo tires that are 255/70 R22.5 are the most readily available of any that are close to my original size (255/80 R22.5) in the event of a tire failure out on the hiway. However, these tires are obviously smaller than the originals which doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I have a call in to Spartan to see if this is enough difference to mess up the anit lock braking system and for sure the speedo would be off.

The tires that are closest to this Michelin 255/80 are the Toyo and Bridgestone 265/75 R22.5. They are virtually the same size but also learned that they are not readily available if I needed one out on the highway as I currently don't carry a spare....perhaps carrying a spare is the answer. Has anyone tried the 265/75 R 22.5 or the 255/70 R22.5 as a replacement for the Michelin 255/80 R22.5???

Thanks!

Posted By: Michael J F on 10/16/05 11:20am

OK after reading all this you got me worried. Can someone tell me has there been a major issue with the Michelin 255/80 R22,5 XRV? I have 6 on my unit that are about 3 years old and I noticed a small crack in the outer rear so I started to look on line for tires and cam across all this.

Also what does tires balanced with equal mean?

What does everyone recommend as replacements?

2000 DP 40' Holiday Rambler - Endevor
2000 Tracker - flat tow car
in our 8th yr of class A RVing

Mike

Posted By: burgess001 on 10/16/05 02:08pm

255/80 22.5 same diameter as 265/75 22.5 same diameter as 275/70 22.5.

Newmar and FL replaced the front XRV's on the Dutch Star, not because the Michelin was faulty (???), but because it was not big enough for the weight they built onto the chassis. They replaced the 255 XRV's with 275 XZA's. The 275's rode better, handled at least as well and were heavy enough to carry the coach.

The margin of error was just too close with the original tires. They had no room for overloading or underinflation. With the 275's, I could run less air and maintain a margin. If your load is close, and you are driving in a hard cross wind in the hot summer, your downwind tires are very overloaded. There needs to be a margin for that and the original XRV's could not provide that load range margin.

I accumulated over 100,000 miles on two sets of 255/80 22.5's on my old DSDP. No flats, no failures. I was always overinflated, according to Michelin. Not on purpose, but I found after about 80,000 or 90,000 miles and 5 years that my gage was off and instead of 105 lbs, I was running 115 lbs.

So, my conclusion is that there is plenty of blame to go around. Michelin built too light a tire. F/L rated the chassis too high for the tires on it. Newmar pushed the margins by loading the chassis right up to the maximum. Add any kind of additional issue and it is a recipe for failure.

Jerry and Katie
More than 20 great years motorhoming and still loving it...
2004 DSDP 3810 (more than I needed...less than I wanted)
2004 Trailblazer (too heavy but well worth dragging)

Posted By: Michael J F on 10/16/05 02:54pm

so the 255 XRV's with 275 XZA's are smaller, how do they hold more weight?
What does balanced with equal mean?

Posted By: Jeffe on 10/16/05 03:17pm

Check here for Info On Equal

My set of GY G670 275/70/22.5 are balanced with equal.

2002 Winnebago Journey DL - 39QD
330 Cat with 6 Speed Allison
Toad: 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi

Posted By: tgobob on 10/16/05 04:14pm

I replaced the Michelin 255/80Rx22.5 tires which came on my coach with Michelin 275/70Rx22.5 XZE2Energy tires. The 275/80 size won't fit on my coach without modification, but the 275/70 size fits with no problem. The tread on the 275/70 is at least 2" wider that the tread on the 255/80. The XZE2Energy tire is rated for 1700 pounds per tire more capacity than the 255/80 and is a load range J. I just returned to Florida from a trip to Alaska. Covered just under 13,000 miles with virtually no problems. To date, the tires haven't lost any air since they were installed in March. All 6 of the new tires were perfectly round and only took a total of 6 ounces to balance them. The Michelin XZE2Energy tire is a great tire and I don't think you'll be hearing of any problems with them.

tgobob
Titusville, FL
2003 Allegro Bus
350 HP Cummins ISC diesel engine
Freightliner chassis
Age is a state of mind. Think old and you are old. Think young and you're still old.

Posted By: sigthor on 10/16/05 06:21pm

I put Toyo 245-75R-22.5 on as replacement for the XRVs. For you avid Michelin supporters, Michelin does not make a bad tire, just ask them!

2001 Allegro Bay DP, Banks Stinger Installed
2007 Wrangler X Unlimited 4WD, Blue Ox Aventa II

Posted By: PHE on 10/16/05 07:15pm

RayChez wrote:

If all these XRV's are blowing up, why doesn't Michelin replace them before people start getting killed. Is there a number a person can call to complain about all these problems with the XRV's 22.5 255/80? I can't remember if it was Firestone or Bridgestone that had a lot of problems on mini vans. But they recalled all those tires at no cost to the owners. Maybe if we all start making some calls and complaining will result on a recall on these tires. If they are that dangerous we should also let our congressment know about them. I am willing to do my share if I could just get a phone number from Michelin.

Log a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

NHSTA

That's who get safety recalls issued (tires, etc)

PHE

Posted By: burgess001 on 10/16/05 10:33pm

Equal is a little bag of stuff they put in the tire when they mount it. The "stuff" distributes its self around the tire in the areas where weight is needed (magic) and the tire is in balance.

The 275/70 XZE is a wider tire with a higher load range. It will support the same weight with less air.

Posted By: RayChez on 09/26/05 07:27pm

Tire takes up too much room. I was just wondering about the change in tire size, that it is not going to give you a correct speedometer reading.

Posted By: slates on 09/27/05 04:52am

I bought a set of the Toyo 265/75/22.5s - couldn't be happier. I also carry an unmounted spare. PM me if you want more details.

Posted By: J Walker on 09/27/05 07:02am

I went from XRV 235/80 to XZE of the exact same size. This was because of a blowout of an inner dual at the 5 year, 30,000 mile point. I did later get the weight on all four corners and I was not overweight. I may have had 5+ lbs over the recommended pressure. I hope the XZEs will give me five years without a blowout.

Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

Posted By: #Marc on 09/27/05 08:10pm

I got my XRV's tire replaced 2 month ago.Prior to this I talked with the Tire dealer because I had Wheather crack on them. I had 4 x 2000 & 2 x 2002. He looked at it and with the OK with Michelin I got a rebate of $700.00 CDN on my new tire which are now XZE 255/80/22.5.

Never experiment a blowout , this is why I did not take any chance and got them replace right the way.

Just got back from 10,000 KM trip and no problem. Really happy with the new tire

Marc & Josée
Holiday Rambler Scepter PAQ
400 Cummins ISL
40 feet
4 Slides

Posted By: cmego on 09/27/05 08:17pm

I got rid of the Michelin tires and switched from a 235x75 to a 275x70 (22.5) - all around with Goodyears. Excellent ride , handling and a much better tire (load range H). Some may like Toyos, some Bridgestone, but for me you can't beat a Goodyear.

Posted By: Jeffe on 09/27/05 10:44pm

In August I replaced my Michelin XRV's 255/80/22.5 Load Range G with Goodyear G670 275/70/22.5 Load Range H.

The Goodyears are a direct replacement for the 255/80/22.5. The diameter is very close to the same, you gain about an inch in tread width and dual spacing was not an issue.

I have driven the GY's over 4,000 miles and they ride and handle very well. I had the tires balanced with equal.

Posted By: Lug_Nut on 09/28/05 04:45am

RayChez wrote:

Tire takes up too much room. I was just wondering about the change in tire size, that it is not going to give you a correct speedometer reading.

The ECM is easily reprogrammed to correct the wheel rotations per mile using a laptop and the proper cables and adaptors.

'07 Newmar Essex 45' ISM 500 4 slides

Posted By: Lug_Nut on 09/28/05 04:51am

One observation I made a couple of weeks ago. I was looking at 2 new 2006 Mountain Aire units and a '06 Dutch Star. Both had 70 series XRV Michelin tires. Now I love Michelin and use ZXA2 or 1's but no way would I take the XRV. I noted that Newmar uses 80 series ZXA1 on the Essex, but maybe XRV don't come in that size. I would insist on 80 series ZXA1/2 on a new rig.

Posted By: BobV on 11/01/05 01:59pm

UNBELIEVABLE !!!! Many months ago on two different occasions I was approached by fellow RVers asking if I'd experienced any blow-outs yet with my Michelin XRVs. They both proceeded to tell me horror stories of how they experienced one tire blow-out after the other to the point of replacing all the tires on their coach. While I "was" a firm believer in Michelin tires, I took their warnings with little concern.

I have a 2002 Fleetwood Discovery with 255/80 R 22.5 XRVs. I just got back from a trip from you know where. We blew three tires within 36 hours of which 11 hours was spent stranded on the side of the road and 5 hours sleeping. These tires are only four years old and had less than 17,000 miles on them. I am very careful to check appropriate tire pressures prior to every trip and have also weighed the vehicle (four point) to ensure proper loading. This makes four tires out of six that blew in just a few months. The first blew a few months back and the coach has been parked in the garage until this last trip. I thought the first blow-out was a fluke. I should have taken those fellow's warnings more seriously !!!

Not only was my family scared to death and very stressed out, we nearly crashed our coach more than once. One blow-out caused us to go off the road and hit a mile marker. Luckily I stayed on track and was able to prevent a serious accident. The coach is all scratched up now. One blow-out tore the left fender all apart and bent up my cargo bin where my inverter and electrical connections are. One tore up the other fender and caused my instrument panel to go dead with no instrumentation at all. I had no idea what my system status was, how much fuel, how fast I was going, if my air pressure, engine temp, oil pressure and such were ok or not. I now have different size and make tires with substantial coach damage. We barely made it home in my opinion but were fortunate not to have been in a serious accident, or would you call it an accident? After the second blow-out on the rear, I swapped rims around to put the new replacement tires on the front. I certainly didn't want to experience a blow-out on the front which seemed enevitable.

Four out of six tires blew in exactly the same fashion....zipper rip as Michelin describes it. The more I talk to the tire dealers, insurance companies, fellow RVers and Internet forums the more I'm convinced this product needs serious review and potentially be removed from the market. I post warnings to you fellow RVers, beware of the XRV blow-out....it's coming to a theatre near you. BE SAFE

Posted By: wilco on 11/01/05 02:22pm

Bob,

What size is your rig, what does it weigh, what pressures were you using?

tfw

Posted By: BobV on 11/01/05 02:25pm

One additional note. I also did some research and there are not many options for this size tire 255/80 R 22.5. Michelin also has an XZE tire that has some curb abraision protection in the sidewall. I also considered going to the XZE* 255/70 R 22.5 which has a higher load rating. In speaking with Michelin, they claim that the XRV and the XZE are of the exact same core construction. The XZE merely has some sidewall protection for curb abraisions and may not necessarily provide more protection from the notorious "zipper rip".....food for thought.

Posted By: BobV on 11/01/05 02:30pm

My coach is 38' 10" and has a gross weight of 23,980 pounds fully loaded. My tires came with the coach which was purchased new in 2002. The tires were manufactured in 2001. Michelin posts a max pressure on them at 105psi. Michelin has since published a technical bulletin to increase the pressure for these tires to 110psi.

Posted By: Deen on 11/01/05 03:23pm

burgess001 wrote:

Equal is a little bag of stuff they put in the tire when they mount it. The "stuff" distributes its self around the tire in the areas where weight is needed (magic) and the tire is in balance.

The 275/70 XZE is a wider tire with a higher load range. It will support the same weight with less air.
The valve stems must have a filter on them to keep the "Equal" from getting in the seal and holding it open, resulting in a flat.

Posted By: Bruce Brown on 11/01/05 03:54pm

BobV wrote:

UNBELIEVABLE !!!! Many months ago on two different occasions I was approached by fellow RVers asking if I'd experienced any blow-outs yet with my Michelin XRVs. They both proceeded to tell me horror stories of how they experienced one tire blow-out after the other to the point of replacing all the tires on their coach. While I "was" a firm believer in Michelin tires, I took their warnings with little concern.

I have a 2002 Fleetwood Discovery with 255/80 R 22.5 XRVs. I just got back from a trip from you know where. We blew three tires within 36 hours of which 11 hours was spent stranded on the side of the road and 5 hours sleeping. These tires are only four years old and had less than 17,000 miles on them. I am very careful to check appropriate tire pressures prior to every trip and have also weighed the vehicle (four point) to ensure proper loading. This makes four tires out of six that blew in just a few months. The first blew a few months back and the coach has been parked in the garage until this last trip. I thought the first blow-out was a fluke. I should have taken those fellow's warnings more seriously !!!

Not only was my family scared to death and very stressed out, we nearly crashed our coach more than once. One blow-out caused us to go off the road and hit a mile marker. Luckily I stayed on track and was able to prevent a serious accident. The coach is all scratched up now. One blow-out tore the left fender all apart and bent up my cargo bin where my inverter and electrical connections are. One tore up the other fender and caused my instrument panel to go dead with no instrumentation at all. I had no idea what my system status was, how much fuel, how fast I was going, if my air pressure, engine temp, oil pressure and such were ok or not. I now have different size and make tires with substantial coach damage. We barely made it home in my opinion but were fortunate not to have been in a serious accident, or would you call it an accident? After the second blow-out on the rear, I swapped rims around to put the new replacement tires on the front. I certainly didn't want to experience a blow-out on the front which seemed enevitable.

Four out of six tires blew in exactly the same fashion....zipper rip as Michelin describes it. The more I talk to the tire dealers, insurance companies, fellow RVers and Internet forums the more I'm convinced this product needs serious review and potentially be removed from the market. I post warnings to you fellow RVers, beware of the XRV blow-out....it's coming to a theatre near you. BE SAFE

NO! This can't be! All of the Michelin failures are just "internet hype". It MUST be YOUR fault!

Welcome to the club - only ours were XZA1's, so it can, and does, happen to more Michelins than just the XRV's.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Posted By: Skip_Knowles on 11/01/05 04:06pm

I haven't been on this forium for a long time. BUT Newmar had a campaign to replace the XRV 255 80R 22.5 tires with 275 70R tires abotu two years ag. i recommend you get on the following for more info http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Newmarowners/

Newmar replaced the front tires for free and offered a very attractive discount for the rear tires.

Skip

Posted By: Tenn Stud on 11/01/05 06:35pm

RayChez wrote:

When you get the phone # and talk with them you will have a highed blood pressure than you do now. They will tell you that they do not make a defectative tire, If you have a problem it has to be something that you did to damage the tire. I have been there done that all the way to corporate in NYC. They replaced 1 tire out of 6 sidewall blowouts I would drive on the wheels before another Mich, I now run Goodyear

Posted By: Jeffe on 11/01/05 06:39pm

Deen wrote:

burgess001 wrote:

The valve stems must have a filter on them to keep the "Equal" from getting in the seal and holding it open, resulting in a flat.

Just as an addition to Deen's post: (from the Equal Web Site/FAQ)

13. Why do I need to use the AirX Filtered Valve Core or valve stem filter extensions?

The AirX Filtered Valve Core and the valve stem filter extensions are designed to ensure that the valve core seats properly when using EQUAL and that dust particles and contaminants do not cause any air loss.

Posted By: Go Blue on 11/01/05 07:28pm

I've posted this before on this topic, and it was mentioned earlier in this thread. If you have a blowout, and you think it resulted in a safety issue, report it to NHTSA.

NHTSA investigations are started based upon accident data or consumer complaints or manufacturer's self-reporting.

If everyone on this forum who has experienced blowouts with XRV tires had reported that blowout to NHTSA, there would be sufficient data for them to start an investigation. Further, under the T.R.E.A.D. Act, which resulted from the LACK of reporting of safety incidents by Firestone and Ford in the Explorer blowout and rollover fiasco, manufacturers are REQUIRED to self report any incidents. In fact, executives of companies who are aware of incidents, and don't take it upon themselves to assure that the information is reported, are personally subject to criminal penalty -- spelled JAIL.

So, all these incidents need to be reported to NHTSA, and they need to be reported to Michelin, with a copy to NHTSA, registered mail return receipt. There will soon be an investigation if all members of the XRV Blowout Club simply reported their incidents.

Discovery 39L '04 & GMC Envoy '06
Blue Ox Aventa II & BrakePro
PressurePro (6+4)
3 Labradogs -- Sierra, and Maize & Blue
Dustyfoot 2-way satellite internet, Datastorm User #1332
FMCA
(aka Discovery39)

GO BLUE !!

Posted By: BobV on 11/01/05 08:13pm

"Go Blue" is absolutely right. We ALL need to go to the NHTSA website and file a complaint concerning our experiences. I did a search and there are many existing complaints registered with the same issues on these tires. Please do your part and go to the following website to file a formal complaint - http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

NHTSA will not begin an investigation without a certain number of complaints. Please let your voice be heard.

Posted By: Michael J F on 02/20/06 11:55am

I have 6 Michelin 255/80 R22,5 XRV now, so what is the disadvantage and or advantage of the smaller ver keeping the same size or larger. I love the ride and handling I have and do not want to loose it.

Print  |  Close