RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Aerolite, Jayco, Kodiak owners. Bent Norco frames, read this

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Aerolite, Jayco, Kodiak owners. Bent Norco frames, read this

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Next
Sponsored By:
JimInMich

Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/05 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi

For those who have bent Norco frames, Fox news in San Deigo did a news story about the bent Norco frames ( concerning the units being bought for Katrina Victims ).
Click on this link, then scroll down to the link " Trailer troubles ".
http://www.fox6.com/video/

This might be helpful reference material in your fight to get your bent frames replaced.

Again, please DO NOT post anything about any lawsuits or any other legal action you might be taking (in this thread), or the Mod's here will lock it up.

Here is a pic of the frame in question. Mine is painted a light grey in color ( not the dark color shown ).

Edited: Adding a couple photo's and some links to other threads with same problem.

I asked another owner to send me photo's of his, and this was his responce when he seen the above photos:
Quote:

WOW!

Jim I don't need to send the pictures as you seem to already have copies. What I mean is that the pics you have posted are almost identical to my trailer. Absolutely amazing they are so identical.

Here are some links to the threads that have been posted on this issue:

http://www.aeroliteforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=302

http://www.aeroliteforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=186

http://www.aeroliteforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=288

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15928496.cfm

In this thread here on RV.net, the owner of the Jayco I speak of above, posts his problems. During this thread, there are a couple others stating the same problem:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseac........hread/tid/16193194/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

A 2004 Wanderer Wagon ( made by Thor ). Bent frame, but I dont know what kind of frame this unit uses:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseac........d/15990621/gotomsg/16148038.cfm#16148038

* This post was last edited 09/30/05 06:52pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

11 Chevy Silverado Ext.Cab Z-71 4x4, 5.3 v8, 3:43 w/locker, Factory tow package, Equal-I-zer 1200#, Curt Class V Receiver
12 Cougar XLite 27RLS ( 960# Tongue, 6740# Gross as loaded)
Just the Wife and I.

ywhat2000

Chicago Heights

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/05 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is amazing ,, these companies should be shut down. What happened to pride in this country. The government probably sold it to China with the rest of the USA. Let's keep importing all this foreign crap.

Chris Weishaar
One Day at a Time!

JimInMich

Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/05 08:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Importing??? The trailers nor the frames are imported. Please, lets keep this on topic.

JimInMich

Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/05 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

benr0 wrote:

Only Dutchman mentioned in the report.

Dutchmen is mentioned, and Dutchmen is the manufacture of many different trailer brands ( including Aerolite and Kodiak ). I mentioned Jayco in the title, because I have heard of a Jayco with the same problem.

benr0

Land Of OZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/05 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only Dutchman mentioned in the report.

2001 F250 CC V10 Short Box 2WD 3.73(7200 lbs loaded for travel)
New Trailer hunt is under way...
2002 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS(7800 loaded)
Prodigy and Reese 1200lbs/HP Dual Cam

mokanmikey

Overland Park, Ks. USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/05 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Coachmen Capi owner with the Norco frame watching!

Coachmen Capri 27 TBS [/red][red]Ruby[/red] Edition 97 Dodge 2500 Mark III Conversion Van Champion 3500W Gen. [url=http://groups.msn.com/CoachmenRVers/mikescapri.msnw]My modification pages[/url] [blue]I used to make mental notes, but I couldn't read my writing![/blue] :E

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/05 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad thing about this is, now everyone (even those that know NOTHING about RVing in general) will see this article, and think that ALL RV trailers are nothing but death traps.

All us TT owners will get looks and comments like Ford Explorer owners got back in the early 1990s. We'll have to explain 50 million times, that its only a select few trailers with a specific frame that MIGHT have a problem, and no, RV trailers in general are NOT all on frames that are going to collapse.

I remember it happened also, back when the ball joint issue 'became public' with the Dodge Durangos. Those were some of the best trucks, we loved ours. But, one problem gets the attention of a news team, and suddenly they are all garbage and resale value on them goes in the toilet.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not one that thinks the truth about this should be 'hidden' from the media, and from what I've read, I have no doubt there probably is a problem with (some of) those BAL frames. And, this article will certainly force BAL (and other manufacturers) to stop denying the problem, and resolve it. Thats great.

Still, I get annoyed with the way the media frequently embellishes and stretches the truth on these things, to make something news-worthy. That frequently results in a lot of mis-information being spread. Sure hope that doesn't happen here. If it does, a lot of trailer's resale value will go down the toilet, in many cases for no reason.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

JimInMich

Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/05 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TravelinNana wrote:

We have had Jayco for years and have not heard of any frame problems except for one isolated incident which was the owner's fault. We know many who would stand behind their Jayco trailers. Not to say that there might be a problem with some, but we investigated this and could not find any reports bad on them.

I am sure there are many happy Jayco owners. I am only making those with the BAL Norco frames, aware of a potential problem. I know of 4 Aerolites, 1 Kodiak and 1 Jayco...all of them 30'ers, all of them with bent Norco frames and trailers that are falling apart because of it. This is not counting the 1 family in california that was stranded ( in that news report ). Defently NOT an isolated incident.

JimInMich

Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/05 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watched the above video link...the reporter did not "embellish" anything. He even had a family who were stranded after only a couple hundred miles when thier brand spanking new trailer ( with a Bal Norco frame ) buckled. There is many frame problems documented already, and that was the reason of this particular news report. Dutchman has even made one unhappy family turn thier problem into thier insurance company ( denying there is a frame problem ). Now this poor family is going to pay higher insurance due to a very large claim. SURELY not fair practices going on here.

I have posted this a few times. I always mention it is the Bal Norco light weight frames and the longer trailer lenths ( 27' + ) that are in question. So you will not find any "mis-information" coming from my end.

As for this killing the re-sale value of my trailer ( I have a Bal Norco frame ), then oh well. I'd rather lose a little then, and know I did what I could to keep some other family from ending up with a $20,000 dead horse, or worse, a death from an accident happening because of a trailer buckling while going 70mph down the freeway.

TravelinNana

Stonewall, LA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/05 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had Jayco for years and have not heard of any frame problems except for one isolated incident which was the owner's fault. We know many who would stand behind their Jayco trailers. Not to say that there might be a problem with some, but we investigated this and could not find any reports bad on them.

2003 Chevrolet Suburban, 5.7, 3.73
Impulse Brake Controller, WD 1000# bars, Reese Sway Bar
2005 Jay Flight 27BH

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Aerolite, Jayco, Kodiak owners. Bent Norco frames, read this
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts