RV.Net Open Roads Forum: If your Atwood water heater quits, try this...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> If your Atwood water heater quits, try this...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Catdave

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/05 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a combination gas and electric/DSI Atwood water heater (model GE16TE) that has been working fine but suddenly died this morning. Wouldn't work on gas, electric, nothing. Checked all the fuses, checked for flue tube obstructions, checked wiring connections, etc. but the problem persisted. Finally called Atwood on the phone (very nice people) and was immediately connected to a friendly service tech who walked me through a diagnostic process that quickly located the problem- I had a fused Thermal Cutoff. This cutoff detects high temperatures due to an obstructed flue and once fused will prevent operation in either gas or electric mode. Since my flue wasn't restricted I wondered why the Cutoff would be fused- the tech said that it happens occasionally when both modes of operation are selected, i.e. gas and electric are on for the quickest water recovery time.
Unfortunately once the Thermal Cutoff activates it has to be replaced (it basically acts as a fusible link) but the water heater works fine without it and Atwood has shipped me a new one at no cost under warranty.

If your water heater dies, here's a quick way to find out if it is the Thermal Cutoff. First, MAKE SURE there are no obstructions in the flue tube. Then turn off the water heater's electric mode and turn on the gas mode. With the exterior access door open and looking at center of the water tank you'll see a black foam-covered area with 4 wires running to it. Look for the area marked T-STAT with two brown wires running to it. One of the wires will have a piece of clear tubing over it that covers a large diode- this diode is the Thermal Cutoff. (Mine didn't look burned or in any way defective, so a visual inspection won't tell you if it's bad or not.)
Remove the diode from the T-STAT terminal lug then disconnect the other end of the diode from the brown wire connector. Now connect the brown wire (without the diode attached) directly to the T-STAT terminal lug. Give it a few seconds and the water heater should turn on in gas operation mode. If it does, that means the Thermal Cutoff is bad and you'll need to get a new one from Atwood. Leave the wire hooked up, turn on the electrical mode to supplement gas mode (if you want) and you'll have hot water till you get the new Thermal Cutoff.
If the water heater doesn't turn on after a minute or so chances are it's not the Thermal Cutoff and you'll have to look elsewhere for your problem.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

2006 Fleetwood Excursion 39L

Backman

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/05 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info. I have cut and pasted it into a word document and will keep with my Atwood info.

Larry and Debbie
2012 Sanibel 3500
"HPY RVN"

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/05 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info, thank you for sharing.

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

GailZ

Baja, Alabama (Crestview, FL)

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/05 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is just one of the reasons why I love this forum. I will print and put in my folder for the water heater to keep for future reference. Thank you so much for sharing this information, it may come in handy someday.

2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PAQ,
2004 Jeep Wrangler X
SurgeGuard
AutoFormer

Bud and Gail

kbehrent

Puget Sound, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/05 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post. I too cut & pasted for future reference.

Kevin & Angela Behrent
2 kids (Dylan 17, Max 14), Dog (Roxie)
2005 39' Newmar Kountry Star DP (KSDP3907) - Triple slide
2003 Honda CRV - Toad
2006 Corvette C6 Convertible - Toy
FMCA #: 355250

bcbeal

Fort Worth, Texas USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/05 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good post but some corrections needed. 1. The Thermal Cutoff has no affect on 110 operation. ECO switch is the High temp cutoff. The Thermal cutoff is for flame blow back on LP operation. Either the burner is obstructed or high winds have blown the flame back and the Thermal cutoff will "burn/melt" and stop current to the gas valve. Brent

MGB939

Pawnee City, Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/05 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Diode device can be checked with a good multi-meter...set it to continuity[tone] and if it is good it will momentarily beep, no sound not good.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

2001 GMC 2500HD Ext. Cab 8.1/Allison,4:10's
16k Drawtite Slider
Prodigy controlled
2002 293RKS Jayco Eagle
2- EU2000i Honda Gens.
2004 FLTHCU/I Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Camelot Mike

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/05 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to know, thank you.

Mike, Wendy, and our mongrels, Nellie, Sarah, and Tristan.
2005 Monaco Camelot 38 PDQ, 400 Cummins ISL, 6 speed Allison.
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 6 speed.

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/05 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pretty sure that the device shaped like a diode you're talking about is a 'chem fuse'. I've found them on my '94 Atwood and on brand new ones too. This is a bi-directional device (for AC or DC operation) that is used as protection in all sorts of electrical devices, like coffee pots and irons and such.

It has the property of opening like a fuse under several conditions: current too high, such as caused by a short circuit; chronic over heating caused by a minor short circuit or miswiring; or external heating, caused by a fire. They differ from regular fuses by being sensitive to fire. Regular glass fuses can resist fire for quite a while.

These devices are shaped like small bullets of about 1/2" long and 1/8" diameter with green glass at one end, a metal case and a solid metal wire coming out of each end.

The devices have been around for many decades and can be found at many electrical supply houses such as 'Radar' on the west coast and at others. They are a couple bucks each and are ordered by their temp rating...stamped on the device.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

Herewego

Florida State Seminole Fans

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/05 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave....great post. How was that long-awaited hot shower, afterward?

2004 Coachmen Aurora on a FORD V-10 Chassis
2004 Jeep Liberty
Don't take your organs to Heaven. Heaven knows we need them here! Dave has a dog named Muffy and Mike owns a Cockapoo!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> If your Atwood water heater quits, try this...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS