|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Help with 2006 Honda Pilot, 2wd

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
swamom

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/05 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 2006 Pilot specifically to tow. We got a 2wd because it states in the manual it can be towed behind motorhome. Our problem now is, the motorhome dealer we contacted to order base plate said they are not available, because Honda changed the Pilot from '05 to '06. This is our first motorhome and know nothing about rigging a tow vehicle.
By the way, the 2006 Pilot 4wd cannot be towed.
Please help

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/05 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swamom,

Welcome to RV.net!!!

This isn't going to make you feel too much better, but if you haven't read through Deen's Odyssey Saga you might want to do so.

I'm a long time Honda fan, but their handling of this issue is inexcuseable. I hope you have better luck. I was ready to buy an '05 Odyssey, fortunately I read Deen's story. I looked at the '05 Pilot, and almost bought one, but the '06 added a few more standard features, so I was going to wait for their availability to increase AND wait to make sure Honda hasn't changed their mind on the '06's about towing. From your post, it appears that they might have done just that.

To the best of my knowledge, other than the addition of a 2WD platform, I didn't know there were any powerline changes to the Pilot from '05 to '06. I didn't see any mention of them in the literature.

Once again, welcome and good luck. Please keep us updated on your findings.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22 (Class A)
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (17-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (12), 2 boys (13 & 10).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

swamom

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/05 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for your response. We were first told that it is not towable, and the manual in the 4wd vehicle said not to tow behind motorhome, but when we read the manual in the 2wd, it reads exactly as the manual in the '05, so we bought with that understanding. I am trading in my Infiniti M45 for the Pilot, so I really hope I can find a base plate!

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/05 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know the person in charge of procuring new vehicles to be fitted for brackets at RoadMaster. Will give her a call tomorrow and see if they have any info on the '06 Pilot. RoadMaster doesn't list one for them and there is no listing on the RoadMaster site that they want one for fitting. May mean that it's already in the works or that it isn't even being planned.
Even though Honda has told people that the '05 and '06 Odyssey's are not towable RoadMaster still lists the bracket kits in their catalog.

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/05 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK I called my contact at RoadMaster, the bracket set for the '06 Pilot 2 wheel drive ONLY, is about 6 weeks out from shipping.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/05 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deen,

Thanks for the update...but I'm a little perplexed. I don't believe there were any changes done to the chassis between the '05 and '06 Pilot AWD. There are some apparent changes to the front facia, so I could see where a new tow plate might have to be designed to accommodate it.

Did your contact at Roadmaster state that the 2006 AWD Pilot is NOT towable?

If that's so, I'd sure like to know what Honda changed...other than their mind.

Thanks for the post.

~Rick

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/05 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick Jay wrote:

Deen,

Thanks for the update...but I'm a little perplexed. I don't believe there were any changes done to the chassis between the '05 and '06 Pilot AWD. There are some apparent changes to the front facia, so I could see where a new tow plate might have to be designed to accommodate it.

Did your contact at Roadmaster state that the 2006 AWD Pilot is NOT towable?

If that's so, I'd sure like to know what Honda changed...other than their mind.

Thanks for the post.

~Rick
Rick, According to my contact the front end structure was changed so they had to design a new bracket. Don't know why Honda would change their minds about towing the AWD, maybe for the same reasons they changed their minds about our Odyssey!! Just CYA? Who knows, they won't tell us why on the Odyssey either.

jones4110

Champlin, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/05 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 06 Pilot 4WD does not offer towing suggestions in the manual. My salesman told me that Honda took out all towing references in 06 including CRV! Been towing 02 MDX with great success...now will tow my 05 crv which still has instructions in manual. Next time a Jeep??

Joan and Bruce
05 Excursion 39L