RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Friends from the "OOP'S" thread.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Chat Threads

> Friends from the "OOP'S" thread.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 973  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/12 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...doggone Jon, read your post, now I'm hungry...going to grab a bite to eat, be back shortly..

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/12 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got the 2X2 square tube for the antenna mount, and welded it on the support box.
Dang thing slipped just a little bit when I welded it, so the antenna mast isn't going to be exactly vertical.
Oh, well...
The tube is 1/8" wall, 36" long, I wonder if my 16 inch adjustable wrench with a cheater bar could cold-twist it?? I'll see what it looks like, maybe I'll try that if it looks too bad the way it is.
Then again, a "few degrees out of plumb" just might be a proper commentary on the operator...

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ro_sie

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mower, I think everyone in the world is a little "out of plumb"

BTW, we made it home. On the way thru we stopped in fletcher at that new camping world to get one of our slides measured for a new topper. for some reason the roller gave up on on trip home and the top came unrolled, so we were hitting the tarmac and had our slide topped flapping in the breeze. That place (CW) was really hopping. there were rvs and people all over the place. Looks like they are doing a great business.

Our trip was one of kind. My washer decided to not pump the water out. So we have that to contend with too.

Poor art, He has a lot of work on his plate. when we were close to home our kids called and told him that when they were cleaning the filter system they ahd used too much force and got one of the joints in the PVC leaking.

Geeze! did you guys have a good couple of weeks? I sure do hope so, even if mower is a few degrees out of plumb ;>)

ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Holiday Rambler Endeavor

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/12 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The out-of-plumb isn't the worst of it!
A friend brought his antenna analyzer out, and we put the antenna up for a test.
The coaxial cable tested very good, at 1:1 SWR.
I assembled the antenna at the correct length for 10 Meters, and the SWR was at 6.3:1 minimum across all bands! It has to be at 3:1 or less, preferably 2:1 or less.
I guess the antenna elements are full of corrosion and/or old grease, and I will have to find some brushes of the right size to run in there and clean them. My .17, .22, and .30 caliber bore brushes might work, along with paint thinner for "bore cleaner".

ro_sie

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/12 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you mower. I dont know the diameter of those elements, but they would surely need to be some very skinny brushes. Not to mention something long enough to push them thru. What is the correct length for the 10 meter band? Hope you get the swr's down so you can really talk. I can hear you now " CQ DX CQ"

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/12 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The length for a full-wave antenna is about 19 feet 3 inches, but a low SWR can be achieved with a 1/4 wave, or 1/2 wave, or 5/8 (etc.) wave antenna. This old military antenna is about 1/4 wave.
I don't have to clean the full length of the elements, just the first 3 or 4 inches. I think a bore brush on a rifle cleaning rod, chucked in an electric drill, will do the job nicely.
Currently 45 degrees, which just might be the high for today. Winter storm warnings in effect for the high country, above 5000 feet or so. They say a possibility of up to 24 inches of snow in the higher elevations. These warnings apparently will last all weekend.
So much for camping in the mountains this Memorial Day weekend!

UPDATE; 1435, temp 39 degrees, raining.
Well, "We need the moisture!"

* This post was edited 05/25/12 02:34pm by mowermech *

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/12 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, spring...
33 degrees this morning, an inch of wet sloppy snow on the ground.
Ah, spring...
Oh, darn, the planet is heating up!
I know, this is merely LOCAL WEATHER, it has nothing to do with CLIMATE

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/12 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good morning all, at work...whoopee.....Been hot here Jon, supposed to get up to about 88 or so and it was almost 60 this morning @ 6AM.

Hope your antenna woes are getting squared away...I remember when I used a SWR meter, (believe that was the terminology..Standing Wave Rectified), to try to get my standing wave down to 1:1, if possible...I was a stickler for that...the PDLII that I had was a great antenna, no matter whether using in vertical or horizonal mode. Wished I had that antenna back, along with the radio and mike..but, guess If I get back into it, I'll have to start from scratch..Perfect place would be at my camp in WVa...plenty of room and not many people around...

We're babysitting the two granddaughters through Monday...well, the wife is right now, so we should stay busy...I'll be on call tomorrow so it would have been hard to make any plans anyway.

Hope all of you are well and hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Jon, is it the "climate", the hole in the Ozone, "global warming", or just something that occurs naturally, whether it be now, 500 years ago, 7,000 years ago, or are we just REALLY paranoid...me? I like trees, hope they're always around, but never hugged one...Though, who knows, maybe one day, I'll be inclined to do so.......

later y'all...

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/12 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, it is Standing Wave Ratio; that is, the ratio between the power out and the power reflected back. The reflected power is dissipated as heat in the radio, and if it is too high it could burn out the final output transistors (or tubes).
My old FT-101ZD doesn't care, it will just keep transmitting until something fries.
The new FT-857D or FT-897D radios will automatically cut back on the power if the SWR is too high (generally, over 3:1). They won't allow damage to occur.

I agree, Jim, trees are wonderful. When I was a kid, logging fed and clothed me. As an adult, my family was supported by forest fires.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still raining.
But, the good thing is, it is 42 degrees, and there is no snow.
and very little wind.
Up in the high country, above, oh, let's say 5000 feet, I bet it is a different story!
The clouds are too low, I can't see any of the surrounding hills...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 973  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  Chat Threads

> Friends from the "OOP'S" thread.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS