|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> KZ frontier 2505

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bob11x

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/05 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking at a KZ frontier with a rear queen slide. We like the 4 bunk setup (we have 3 young'ins), but want a short trailer (+ fairly lite). What are thoughts on the rear slide? KZ claims to have a patented system that is better than the rest, is that true?

Any comments appreciated

3fan

Mattoon,IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/05 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course its better than the rest!! Thats why we purchased our 2505!! Seriously, we love our 2004 Frontier 2505. The layout is just perfect for our family of four. The two kids have their own space in the front and we have ours in the back. The rear slide is very sturdy and does in my oppinion seem to be one of the strongest on the market. I've even been known to climb up the rear supports before I slide it in just to clear off the leaves. Not sure that you can do that with other brands. If you check out other postings on KZ you will find that most people are very happy with their purchases and customer service that KZ provides.

Happy Camp'n!

3fan
2004 KZ Frontier 2505QSS
2005 Ford F150 STX

Sportsman2505qss

Winter Springs, Fl USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/05 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KZ does have a patent on the queen glide. Thats why no other one will look like it. The man that designed it for KZ then went to work for Thor(outback) but had to do a different design. We were camped right on the Ocean when TS Tammy came by. No problem for the queen glide. In fact the only thing we did was put in the awning. We have camped in everything but snow. This trailer looks as good as the day we brought it home, inside and out. Besides all this KZ is a great company that still knows how to treat their customers.

2002 KZ Sportsmen 2505qss bought in 2001 Sold 1999F-150
Itasca Spirit 2014
Manatee Hammock

NOT2L8

St. Louis, MO, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/05 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the KZ slide may be more stable because it has a cantelevered mechanism and is self-supporting. It doesn't require brackets to be placed under it to support the slide like other models. All you do is pull it out like you'd pull out a huge drawer. When you see the size of the iron bars it slides on below and compare them to supports on some other rear slides, it gives you something to think about.

Not2L8, DH, 2 teens, Mya the Wonder Dog
2002 Ford E150 Conversion Van 5.4L 3.55
2003 KZ 2205QSF, Equalizer, Prodigy,
Ready for fun!
Not2L8's Camping Homepage
Goin'KZ (KZ Owner's Group)

sclark

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/05 11:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love our 05 2505. No problems with the rear slide. Seems very sturdy. As mentioned above, requires no additional exterior support. Bunkhouse works out well for the kids. Also you will find a ton of storage both in and under the bunkhouse. Two year bumper to hitch warranty on the KZ Frontier. Don't think you will go wrong with this choice. Good luck with your decision.

2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Cummins Aisin transmission
2014 KZ 358BHK
Honda eu3000is Generator

lonekazoo

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/05 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The slide design has worked out well for us, too. We have stopped along the way and have slept on it several times while "in." A couple other brands that we looked at do not allow for any weight to be placed on the bed while slid in. Ours says it's rated for 500 lbs. IN and 1000 lbs. OUT. I think about mid-2005 they beefed up the inside ceiling rail attachments a bit.

I have also climbed up on the rear frame to clean off the top of the slide--like 3fan said, it's rock solid. A slight drawback to the design: You really can't do much as far as attaching stuff to the bumper (generator, bikes, etc). However, KZ does sell a bike rack that attaches to the spare tire.

2005 KZ Frontier 2809PQS-F
2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLT/4x4/8.1L/3.73/Autoride

russ_g

Calgary, AB

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/05 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No complaints on ours here.

IkenI

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/05 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are the only ones I know that has had a problem with our rear queen slide. After about 500 road miles and a couple days after returning from a trip I went out to open the trailer to clean it. Upon releasing the turnbuckles the slide dropped down off it's inside rail. It turns out that the factory had mounted a CD/Radio high on the cabinet near the rear door side rail and road movement caused it and the bunk to bounce against each other. This loosened the doorside bracket which allowed the bed to drop. The other side could not hold the weight and gave way. Tightened the turnbuckles back and delivered it to the dealer. After a week or so got it back and appears as good as new. We will see. They relocated the CD down so nothing is contacting the bed now. Everyone said they had never heard of anything like this or any other problem with the rear queen slide - but that's what you would expect. One thing I should note is that the dealership and factory responded in an excellent manner compared to another dealership and manufacturer a couple of years ago.

2014 GD Reflection 303RLS
2013 Chevy 2500HD D/A
PullRite SuperGlide

US Army retired

bob11x

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/05 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the input. I have a good dealer nearby, but his 2505 won't be in until december. It sounds like KZ is the way to go. Good to know that sleeping with the slide in is an option. A couple of other questions if I may...

It comes with only a 20,000 btu furnace. Most other brands list 30k as standard. Any problems with heating capacity due to the slide area?

Anyone go for tinted windows? Seems like they would help in the opposite climate from above. Is there a double pane available?

So far I plan on using a 1/2 ton chevy ext cab long box 5.3 to tow. I expect I'll be following the good advice here by getting a equilizer hitch. Truck is rated at 7700, less passengers, so should be room to spare in this trailer (7000 max)

ChiroDoc63

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/05 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,
We like the 2505 as well, but I'm wondering about the weight. We have 2003 F150 and was told that a "dry" weight of over 5000 lbs. was too much. I did notice a few of you have F150's as well. How well does it tow? And is there a lot of sway? Thanks for your help.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> KZ frontier 2505
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS