|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Road Conditions - Central America

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
fredsrv

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/05 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info, John, I will be going before Christmas by air and will also have my friends get on this net to relay info. I was checking on the www of the caravan companies and one has already cancelled all the Panama Canal Caravans because of the road conditions. I have gone all the way through into Darien. Merry Christmas.

JHalkyard

Houston, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/05 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are posting updates on road conditions on our web site, see www.99daystopanama.com/updates.html. We also have people reporting on our Yahoo! group 99daystopanama. We will be treturning to Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua in Feb. - Apr. and will report on roads and camping places as we go. We appreciate other feedback as well.

John Halkyard, author, 99 Days to Panama

John Halkyard
Author "99 Days to Panama"
www.brindlepress.com

Scooper

Utila, Bay Islands Honduras

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/05 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just came back to La Ceiba, Honduras yesterday from our trip
The roads especially the last 3 hours of road 200 in chiapas are confusing and terrible with a lot of bridges out and stretches of unpaved roads, It used to be a divided 4 lane nice highway but now you get send from one side to the other and will have oncoming traffic even if the signs said sometimes not , so never overtake because there might be two way traffic.
The first hour from Ciudad Hidalgo into Guatemala towards Escuintla, there are a few bridges out , but there are not to many problems there
In Honduras I entered in Copan and went to La Ceiba, this road used to be good , but is terrible now with potholes, a suv can disappear into it especially from La Entrada to San Pedro Sula.
There is one bridge out between Progresso and Tela and there is a dirt road of 2 hours to get around it, which is not passable with a RV or nice car without getting damage

Ronald & Shirley

Fleetwood Bounder 2007 ">
Toyota Hilux 2.4D diesel as toad ">

Kae

san antonio texas

View Profile

Posted: 12/08/05 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ronald and Shirley..do you know a fellow named Frank Wadell in La ceiba? he was orginally from Ohio. Sorry to get off the subject, I was checking on the Road Conditions. Poor People there! I was surfing and found the Panama Canal RV caravans have been Cancelled by Adventuretour Caravans. Maybe next year will be better. We were there when "Mitch" hit.. I think in 1997??

jgeyer

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/06/05 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adventure Caravans is the only company I know of that goes to CA & Panama. Here is a link http://www.adventurecaravans.com/centralamerica/aboutcentralamerica.asp

http://www.adventurecaravans.com/centralamerica/aboutcentralamerica.asp

fredsrv

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/05 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks jgeyer, i am checking info from them, and also adventuretours popped up at www.adventuretrek.com , they both seem to offer Panama Canal. The second one has something about the roads. I will check further, I will probably wait til next year to do this big of a trip...don't need bad roads!

fredsrv

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/05 05:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have 2 friends in Mexico and Central America who are emailing me and sent the following information. Mexico is passable with RVs, but there is evidence of the past storms along the east coast and especially in Chapas State, the southmost state of Mexico, just north of Guatemala.

Central America - not recommended for RVs this winter season, except for the higher clearance "B" vans and campers with high clearance! Many of the really good roads have transformed to ruins. Many bridges are out, and there is still thousands of displaced persons. One border official at Honduras/El Salvador border told him if he traveled to only travel between 9am and 3 pm. There are also some bridges that are totally out. Most areas should be passable by late March, 2006. I will try to pass on update info as I receive it. I will also be "flying" back to Cen Am. to work on a volunteer project.

fredsrv

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/06/05 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CARAVAN COMPANIES GO TO CENTRAL AMERICA OR PANAMA? And are the GOING this season?? What to they have to say about the roads and the aftermath of the hurricanes?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Road Conditions - Central America
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS