|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> FAQ Insurance for Mexico

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
HerbertRon

Guadlalajara

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/07 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TRICARE Insurance: For those of you who have TRICARE medical insurance and have a medical emergancy while in Mexico. TRICARE will pay what ever % for your coverage. I had surgery and was hospitalized overnight on two seperate occasions last fall. File the required forms (hospital bill was in Spanish), Doctor's bill, and lab work. I had my checks in approximately 6 weeks after filing. Medicines had to be sent into different address.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/07 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

. I have been on the net for an hour checking insurance quotes for one of our units. It is interesting that there are not really many sellers. Most of the online vendors use the same software and the same prices. Any of us can become online agents in minutes complete with a custom web site. BUT I did uncover some facts that many may not be aware of. On at least 2 of those websites they had a disclaimer stating that you cannot buy 2 short term policies: one for your travel days in and another for your travel days out. You must exit the country to buy a second policy. Those of you who have been buying those policies may find that the carrier will refuse coverage. Some policies also require you to exit the country one day or more before your policy expires ( I dont understand that requirement). Others will not issue a policy if the vehicle is already in Mexico. BUYER BEWARE.

Moisheh

dchasteen

Griffin, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/07 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the good info; but I have another question. We are planning a trip with friends to Mexico this fall. Our rig is old and "Paid For" and title is, of course, in our names. Our friends units have liens. One unit is in his name, the other is in the name of his business. What kind of problem will they encounter in getting Mexican Insurance or anything else? Would having a unit in his company's name be a problem at all? Appreciate your response. Thanks.

FL60 Freightliner-Crew Cab, Air ride suspension, seats and hitch. 2002 Carriage LS with IS Mor-Ryde.

jeninvegas

Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/07 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am wondering if anyone in Nevada has ever been told by an agent from Allstate Insurance that US auto insurance is valid in Mexico as long as you are within 75 miles of the border.

If so, please let me know. The law firm where I am employed as a paralegal has three clients whom this representation has been made. There is a possibility of a class action lawsuit - does not matter if you have been involved in an accident - just if an Allstate Agent ever told you that you would be covered in the event of an accident.

Thanks
Jennifer
jenenglish_0123@yahoo.com

BadBob6

Inyokern, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/08 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an annual policy for liability with ADA VIS. I found them very easy to work with and they send me a reminder about two months in advance for my renewal. I usually explore Mexico on one of my motorcycles and generally take a different one each trip. That makes the annual policy, written on my drivers license, the best option for me as it covers any vehicle I drive. Last November I drove my pick-up down to Creel and planned on leaving the truck parked in Creel for a week while I explored the remote areas of Copper Canyon. On the drive down I thought that it would be a good idea to get full coverage on the truck for the trip. I called ADA VIS on my cell phone and the new policy for my truck was FAXed to the next hotel I was staying at on my way. It's hard to get any better service than that.

semperfilee

Caldwell, ID.

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/08 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T-T,
EXCELLENT ARTICLE AND MUCH APPRECIATED.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/08 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may wish to keep in mind that in the event of a serious accident, it may take months before liability has been resolved. A Mexican citizen may request that the "other driver" be kept "in custody" while the insurance companies or company wrangle things out. You may have insurance, even increased limits of PL & PD but until things are resolved, the foreigner will sit in a prison (I did not mean jail). This may take months.

The "legal aid" option as found with most surplus line broker insurance companies allows them to cut an immediate check to the court that guarantees that a debt will be paid regardless of the willingness or unwillingness of "the other party" to accept payment in the long run. In the real world, this allows the foreigner to be released from custody usually within 48 hours.

To verify this point do so by contacting your surplus line broker.

And yes, the long and the short of it means that you can carry the best Mexican insurance but without an optional rider you can end up in prison for months in the event of a serious accident.

I hope this helps you.

crandle

Campbell River, BC, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/08 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dchasteen wrote:

Would having a unit in his company's name be a problem at all? Appreciate your response. Thanks.

This problem was faced by a poster a year or two ago. The vehicle was in the name of a company owned by the person taking the vehicle into Mexico. He had to write a letter as an officer of the company granting himself permission to take the vehicle into Mexico. Seems silly but that is what it took.

I don't know if this solution still applies...

My Mexico Blog

keelhauler1

Cleveland, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/08 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anybody ever bought or used SkyMed.

It flies you home for any medical emergency, and cost about $500 a year for a family policy.

About 10 years ago we had a guy break his back in Mexico and he had to be flown back to the states by a jet which saved his life.

I've never bought this type of policy but was wondering whether anyone else had.

John

Mexico Blog 2013-14
-------------------------------------------

tugwell

Sooke, British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/08 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been traveling to Mazatlan and south for the last 7 years and have purchased Insurance fron San Xavier Mexico Insurance in Nogales, Az and Tucson Az. The rates are the best I have seenalso we had the unfortunate experience of being in an accident in March coming home. The Company who the underwrote the policy was Mapfre Tepeyac. The experience was fantastic. A adjuster was out to deal with the accident within 1 hr of calling. We had a choice to have our M/H fixed in Mexico, USA or Canada. We chose USA as our coach was built by Monico. We went to Arizona the repair shop ordered all the parts and by the time they arrived the check for the full repair had arrived fron Mexico in US Funds. It was a very good conclusion to a terible mishap. Later we were sideswiped in California by a US owned rig and we are still waiting for AAA Us insurance to settle. You can purchase the insurance by Phone or Internet their website is www.mexican-autoinsurance.com Nogales Phone - 520-377-0424 or mexicobob@aol.com

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> FAQ Insurance for Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS