|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Bear Tooth Mountains

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rvlady

Sublimity, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/06 11:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went over Beartooth in 1971 with a heavily loaded 1970 half ton Suburban with a 350, piece of junk travel trailer--17', and didn't have any problems. It was gorgeous--we were going west to east. That was in our dumb days--didn't know it was considered dangerous until now!

Linda and husband Dave (retired US Army) W7DDW
Magic, Yellow Lab Female, born 18 July 2010. R.I.P., Jake!
2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i Generator
2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab, 4x4, SRW, HO CTD, 3.73, 48RE, Jake Brake

wolf0606

Philadelphia PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/06 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all for the advice. Guess I'll find an alternate route to get to Yellowstone, drop the trailer and hit the Bear Tooth without it.

Walt

JT

out west

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/06 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"...but I sure wouldn't take an RV of any kind."
-----
There are many RVs (and RV drivers) who can and do travel the Beartooth Hwy. safely and enjoyably; the success of the trip depends mainly on, one, whether the "RV" in question is appropriate in size, power, and "equipment" for the road, and two, the mountain driving skills and experience of the person behind the wheel.

However, in the case of the original poster, wolfe0606 (and anyone else with "too big, too long, or too puny" set-ups), I'd agree that he would have a much better ride if he dropped the trailer at a campground on one end of the road or the other and traveled the "ups and downs and rounds and rounds" in the small pickup.

The Beartooth is one of the most beautiful drives in North America; enjoy it!

BigSky-Kiwi

Montana - Big Sky Country

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 12:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

We went out to Glacier NP via I90. how is it compared to going over the Rockies on 90? I know some of you may laugh at this question, but it is the only mountain I have to compare it to! and to me it was like going over a big overpass, no problems at all!

If you have been on the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park then you have experienced a small sample of the Beartooth Highway. The Beartooth reaches about 11,000 feet and has 6 miles of 6% grade, lots of switchbacks. I don't think the Beartooth has a limitation on length like Going to the Sun does, but I would like to push the limit if I didn't have to. I would rather enjoy the scenery than to worry about braking. Your trip on I-90 is not even close to the passes that Beartooth goes over. Even the Going to the Sun Road only tops out at about 6700 feet at Logan's Pass

2009 F250 Super Duty Crew Lariat 6.4l Diesel
Winnebago 27 RBDS

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/06 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just wondering, why shouldn`t I go over bear tooth mountains? we plan on going out to Yellowstone in a few years, when the kids can appreciate it! is it the grades (what is the percent of grade?), dropoffs (what is the height of beartooth?) is it like the scene from The Long Long Long Trailer??????? I`m just curious.

We went out to Glacier NP via I90. how is it compared to going over the Rockies on 90? I know some of you may laugh at this question, but it is the only mountain I have to compare it to! and to me it was like going over a big overpass, no problems at all!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Shadow R.I.P.

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

TerryWerm

Jordan, MN

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/06 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in agreement with JT. Towing over Bear Tooth Pass depends on many variables, including the equipment, but depends most heavily on the driver's experience and comfort level. Personally I wouldn't be afraid to tow over Bear Tooth, but then again I've been in worse places with equipment much bigger than my RV. I was also crazy enough to take a motorhome up Pike's Peak. Not difficult if you have mountain driving experience and approach it with the proper frame of mind. But I would still prefer to do Bear Tooth as a day trip and leave the RV behind.

Terry

John M

Grayslake, Illlinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/06 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe that the Beartooth is still closed due to slide damage. Last I heard, you can get to part of it from the southwest, but then have to turn around and go back the way you came. From the north, it's closed just south of Red Lodge, MT

John and Susan
2012 Coachmen Leprechaun
Chevy Colorado & Jeep Wrangler Toads

DaYooper

Land of Trolls, below the Big Mac bridge

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/06 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John, they managed to open it up towards the end of the season, I'm not sure even how long it was open before closing for winter. So it should be all set for 2006, provided everything holds up with the spring thaw.

Here's the story from the Billings Gazette

DaYooper

Land of Trolls, below the Big Mac bridge

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out this link with photos at http://montanahereicome.com/Bearhwy/. That will give you an idea of the road and some of it's twist and turns.

We traveled it Father's Day of 2004 and had snow and heavy clouds, so we had a few beautiful spots, but turned around and drove it with snow covered roads back to Canyon in Yellowstone. Made for some slow driving and quite the bummer for us.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks DaYooper! thats is about how I pictured it. if you take it slow and easy, it looks to be pretty spectacular. about how many miles is it from start to finish (up and over).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Bear Tooth Mountains
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS