Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: T@b trailers. Pricing?

Posted By: sherrylyn on 03/05/06 05:30pm

I recently seen the T@b trailers. They are so cute! Aerodynamic and fit the basic needs while travelling. I got sticker shock though when told the price! I hear they started manufacturing in 2004. There isn't many listings this time of year for comparison. Does anyone know what they average now for a 2004 model? In Canadian Dollars? Just wondering if I can afford one. I still can't beleive they are priced higher then the 10 foot Fleetwood PUP we were looking at! Anyone understand why this is so?
Also anyone have any problems with these things?
Sherry

* This post was edited 03/05/06 06:17pm by sherrylyn *

Posted By: shaela21 on 03/05/06 06:16pm

On page 2 of this link there are 4 Tab's for sale (new) from the dealership where I bought my TT. I know this is a long way away, but it will give you an idea of pricing.

http://www.trianglerv.com/new.aspx

Bob & Ang
Shaela & Duncan
2008 GMC Sierra 1500
2006 Outback 21RS
Victoria, BC
Canada "It's all good"

Posted By: jim1632 on 03/05/06 07:21pm

Both ALiner and Chalet have similar hard-side fold-down trailers. The smallest models would probably give you the same area as the T@B and they have been around long enough so a used one might be available.

Posted By: robsouth on 03/05/06 08:32pm

I agree that the TAB's are terribly overpriced for what you get. Basically a crawl in bed with an outdoor kitchen. Not suited well for inclimate weather. I really don't understand the popularity, though I do see a number of them in campgrounds. To each his own I suppose.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Posted By: BigPackFan on 03/05/06 07:02pm

I think the A-liner will cost less (at least they were priced lower at the RV show).

BPF
Searching for the right RV
2007 GMC Envoy

Posted By: sherrylyn on 03/05/06 06:26pm

Ow my! Those prices are even 3'000 more then the quotes I got up here in Ontario! Amazing!

We would really like to find a TT thats smaller and shorter then a reguler TT, simply for easy of towing, use, and for better gas mileage. I thought that these would fit the bill. Just can't afford it at that price though.

Sherry

Posted By: Bill 720 on 03/05/06 09:43pm

Hi: I nearly flipped when I saw the price. Never have I seen a T@B priced so high. That is of course Canadian and since I don't know the rate of exchange, I can't figure it out in U.S. dollars. My T@B is a 2004, with the inside kitchen. Some day -- that version was only built for one year-- it is likely to be a highly sought after trailer, but I won't be around to see that. While I won't say what I gave for mine new--I did once and it almost gave a guy across the state a heart attack because he shelled out a whole lot more for his than I did--it was not anywhere close to what they are asking. They are not even in the ball park and at their price I wouldn't be able to afford one. AS to why have one?They are cute, great for camping but not good for resort rving,always draw a crowd, don't increase your gasoline bill and pull like a dream without all that extra expensive equipment we all have for our larger trailers. In addition, they can be shoved around by hand anywhere you want to put them and are quality built with quality materials. They also tend to make the teenage grandson grandpa's best pal, especially if he likes to hunt and fish. Bill

Posted By: robsouth on 03/06/06 08:36pm

mincey, I had forgotten that you had a tab. I saw some at the Atlanta RV show and they may have been smaller than yours because I could not stand up in it at all and I am only 5'9". It was basically a crawl in bed with a few cabinets. All the cooking was done out the back and if it happened to rain, you would be out of luck. I'm sure you enjoy yours and good on ya.

Posted By: BigPackFan on 03/07/06 11:12am

mincey wrote:

robsouth wrote:

mincey, I had forgotten that you had a tab. I saw some at the Atlanta RV show and they may have been smaller than yours because I could not stand up in it at all and I am only 5'9". It was basically a crawl in bed with a few cabinets. All the cooking was done out the back and if it happened to rain, you would be out of luck. I'm sure you enjoy yours and good on ya.

Are you sure that you aren't confusing it with a Little Guy (or similar) teardrop? The Little Guy is just as you describe. All the T@Bs have the same body size. My husband is 5'9" as well, and he stands up in the T@B fine, although it is close!!!

Copied from the T@B website:

Standing at an exterior height of 7' 7", T@B can be stored in most garages. Plus, the interior height of the trailer is an amazing 5' 9" making it the tallest ceiling height for tear drop trailers in America.

Maybe Hubby has been fibbin' about his, ummmm, "length" all these years....

Posted By: T5Bird on 03/06/06 07:24am

I had a peek at them at the RV Show this year as well, I agre they are priced pretty steep for what you get. Here they range between $13,000 and $16,000 (can).

1988 F-250 7.3 diesel...Banks Charged. / 2005 Fleetwood Pioneer 180CK

Posted By: huachuca on 03/06/06 10:02am

Based on the criteria you've listed, you might want to consider a molded fiberglass trailer as an option. Check out www.fiberglassrv.com for more info on various brands and models (some are mfg'd in Canada).

Al

Posted By: mincey on 03/06/06 06:31pm

I have a 2005 clamshell model T@B, which is probably the one that robsouth is describing, which he saw at an RV.net rally last Dec. Our kitchen is outside under a back hatch, similar to teardrops. But the inside of the T@B is more than a crawl-in bed. It is about 5'10" high, so you can stand up in it. The bed doubles as a dinette. T@B has three other floor plans that have the kitchen indoor if that is what you prefer. I got my fully loaded T@B (A/c, furnace, roof fan, porta potty, AM/FM CD stereo with 4 speakers) for right around $12,000 US. Yes, it did cause me some sticker shock too, but they are very well made units, and are extremely well insulated. We feel the price is comparable with the quality. And it pulls so nice, is lightweight, and can go just about anywhere. You can even roll it around by hand if needed.

Before buying the T@B, I had also considered Aliners/Chalets, but after being on an a-frame message board for a while I found there were a lot of problems. It seems that there are leak issues at the joints where the hard sides fold, as well as the mechanisms wearing out. Plus there were a lot of floor problems. Plus even though it would be better than a canvas pop-up, I wanted to be able to use a trailer without having to set it up. Aliners and Chalets are not cheap either, in the same price range or more than T@Bs, Chalet being pricier than Aliner.

I also had considered teardrops, and nearly bought a Camp Inn Teardrop. I first got interested in buying a camper when I saw teardrops, and the outdoor galley is what I was interested in. I saw on message boards that Camp Inn's were extremely well made, are in high demand, excellent customer service. The owner/manufacturer of Camp Inn is very involved on the message boards as well and is very responsive.

T@Bs aren't for everyone, but if you want something small, compact, cute and fun, then a T@B might be for you. If you want to get more information from owners, I would suggest joining the Yahoo T@B message group (tabtrailers). Lots of good information from owners, both good and bad.

Happy camping!

Cheryl and Randall
Mackenzie Queen of Clubs, CGC
2006 T@B
2005 Toyota Highlander

Posted By: mincey on 03/07/06 11:31am

BigPackFan wrote:

mincey wrote:

Are you sure that you aren't confusing it with a Little Guy (or similar) teardrop? The Little Guy is just as you describe. All the T@Bs have the same body size. My husband is 5'9" as well, and he stands up in the T@B fine, although it is close!!!

Copied from the T@B website:

Standing at an exterior height of 7' 7", T@B can be stored in most garages. Plus, the interior height of the trailer is an amazing 5' 9" making it the tallest ceiling height for tear drop trailers in America.

Maybe Hubby has been fibbin' about his, ummmm, "length" all these years....

Hahaha - well, his head does just hit the ceiling, but he is OK with it! And he slouches too (redneck posture), so that helps. LOL

Posted By: mincey on 03/07/06 04:01am

robsouth wrote:

Print  |  Close