|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Re: Leaving dog alone in camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Honeybee8888

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/06 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just reading the thread about leaving a dog alone-- and the "crate him" advice. We do that-- infact, we've made a "crate" underneath our table, with mesh walls on the bench and front sides. Roxy sleeps there at night, and if we take a short walk without her, we usually put her there while we are gone. She sleeps at home in a crate, too, so it's only what she expects.

My concern is that we are hoping to take an extended trip soon-- for about a month. Currently we just go away for weekends and literally veg out at our campsite-- we are totally lazy and don't want to do much. If we are travelling, though, we are planning to go to fun and interesting places, and will want to be gone longer to explore, hike, or whatever. How long do you generally feel comfortable leaving your dog alone, assuming you aren't worried about her "carrying on"? I wouldn't do it if the weather is really hot (but we are planning to travel in the fall, along the northern tier of the country.) Assuming you aren't worrying about overheating, how many hours have you left your pet?

Me and my Hubby (empty-nesters)
Roxy, our Shepollie
Samantha, a 2002 28' Jayco Eagle Class C

LewMichele&Paws

At a gas station in Cowlitz County WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/06 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How well do you know your dog? We try to follow a similar schedule with our dogs when we are on the road as we do at home, more or less. Basically the dogs are walked in the morning around noon and in the evening. They are used to long naps in the morning and in the early to late afternoon in the house. This has been their habit for years. So on the road we try to schedule off-site trips during that time while they are crated in the RV...

'06 Ford F350 V10 CC 4X4 SB auto 4.10
'01 Arctic Fox 235H (5'er)

Don't lose your head...to save a minute...you need your head...your brains are in it...Burma Shave

States visited in our RV...

Trailer Trash 2

Santa Fe Springs, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/06 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to crate our dog when we first got him, but now he has run of the trailer when we are gone. most of the time we will take him with us, but there are those times that we dont take him, and we do make sure the air is on a comfortabe temperature around 78 deg and a window open for him to look out.
TT2

Gottahaveit

Stockton CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/06 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine are not crated but I would never leave them for more than a few hours without a check back in. If that is not possible they go with us. I'm sure they are perfectly fine but in my case it's me worried not them.

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/06 03:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She who rides in the truck camper is tied to a bracket. She can reach the dinette seat. The camper has windows with screens. I also had it made with a Flettner vent, which turns with the lightest of breezes to draw air into the camper.

If I go to a museum, or boat tour. museum or other place where dogs are permitted only with special credtentials, I try to keep it to around 3 hours. It's amazing how many of the rare shaded parking spots have "no pets signs".

As for hiking, take your dog. Your dog should just love that. & it he/she is a wee tiny little one, how about a pack? Even little yorkies can cover lots and lots of ground on their own 4 feet.

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Honeybee8888

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/06 05:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Little Kopit wrote:

As for hiking, take your dog. Your dog should just love that. & it he/she is a wee tiny little one, how about a pack? Even little yorkies can cover lots and lots of ground on their own 4 feet.

We'd take her whenever possible, obviously. But as for little-- not quite. She's about 50-55 lbs, and if anything made her agitated she'd probably rip through any screens we left access to. She's not the friendliest dog, or the mildest, and frankly she'd spend way too much time protecting the camper from those who venture too near if she could see outside. I think the crate, the dark, some music to muffle sounds, and an additional fan aimed at her (if necessary) is the best idea. What a nuisance that animal is, actually-- we love her but if I'd known more about my own future (a new part-time job, and a dislike of mud in my RV, which we bought within 24 hours of acquiring the dog), I doubt I'd have adopted her from the shelter. OTOH, we do love her a lot and love having her with us when we are camping. And it's not *her* fault she doesn't realize her own strength! So, I guess we are stuck

PandP

Western PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/06 05:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am comfortable leaving our small dog for 3-4 hours. So long as she has a window to look out of and the air is on, she seems fine. We have already caught her stretched out on the table - like a queen, she likes the cool wood. We once took a long day tour over to Nova Scotia and we kenneled her. She is crated while we are at work 8 hrs a day - seems after 4 hours she will tinkle on floor, but not in her crate.

snowhawkwoman

Lyons, KS

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/06 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave ours for a few hours without problems - never more than 6 - but they are not crated - they have free run of the RV. LOL - we would have problems with the "mesh" around the dinette! Our terrible terrier would eat his way thru the mesh in about 5 minutes!! I purchased one of those mesh barriers to keep the dogs from getting from the back seat to the front seat of my little car - yea that worked for about 5 minutes! Terrier refuses to be confined! He is agressive and very protective of the MH - but does fine while we are away - he will bark - but only if someone gets by the MH. Over time he has settled down nicely, as have all our traveling dogs.

Snowhawkwoman
Big Owl
dogs Xena,Phoebe,Spooker,Skippy,Zoe,Taz
Punky - the amazing insane Rving Squirrel
1997 Fleetwood Jamboree 29'
The traveling Zoo!

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/06 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally we camp, take hikes, shore fish, and hang around the campsite, where the dogs can be with us. However there are times when we leave our two Lhasas in the trailer for a few hours. Ours are not crated but just like at home they lounge around while we are gone. We leave the television or stereo on, if it is hot weather we leave the AC on and also set the thermostats about 5 degrees above the AC on our fantastic fans just in case the shore power goes out they will have air circulation. 90% of the time when we get back we can hear them jump off the bed as we open the TT door. Life is hard! LOL

They are laid back dogs and the continue that lifestyle while traveling with us.

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

Popsie

Livingston, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/06 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After our youngest kid left home, the dog was alone all day while my DW and I went to work.

Depending on the chain of events, he might have been left alone in the house for as long as 12 or 14 hours.

Since he was about 9 months old, he has NEVER had an "accident" when left alone. He waits until we can take him outside.

When we sold the house and started living in the RV, it's been the same. Of course we aren't working anymore, so we spend a lot more time with him. However, there are days that we have to be away for an extended time (when DW had appendicitis, the dog was left in the RV for about 16 hours before I could get back to him for a relief break).

We close the curtains, and leave a vent open, plus either the heater or air conditioner on the thermostat depending on the season/weather.

He's 13 years old, and mostly sleeps when we are away. We know this because when we come home after whatever period of time, he is almost always asleep and we have to wake him up.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Re: Leaving dog alone in camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS