Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Monroe Shocks ?

Posted By: ACBSKB on 03/28/06 07:47am

Hi
I'm looking to put Monroe RV Shocks on my 2006 E450 but Monroe does not list any unit newer then 2004! I wonder why. Has anyone out there put the Monroe Rv shock on a 2005 or 2006 E450?
In the past I had put Bilstein on a 1999 Class A that I had and I hated them. So much that I replaced them with new Monroe Rv Shocks after only one month with the Bilsteins. I loved the Monroe shocks I swore I would never buy Bilstein again. I have factory shocks on my E450 now and need to get them replaced. They are pretty much junk.

Thanks
AcbSkb

Posted By: MDTransplant on 03/28/06 03:50pm

Monroe will not give you the shock numbers for 2005's. I checked with the local Ford dealer and they looked it up in the Ford parts catalogue. The 2005 takes the same Ford part number as the 2004. They did fit. Would guess that the 2006 is the same. You could check with your local Ford dealer for the 2006.

Posted By: HiTech on 03/28/06 07:00pm

Class A is a very different application.

As stated, get the Ford part number for your shocks, and for the 2004 Ford shocks, and see if they are the same.

Posted By: ACBSKB on 03/28/06 08:24pm

I had a 1999 35ft class A on a Ford chassis. The Bilstein just didn't work for me. The ride was a lot stiffer and it just didn't seem to handle very good. Also the Bilstein raised the height of the Rv. One thing I noticed when I had the Bilstein and Monroe shocks side by side is the Bilstein where easy to extend but real difficult to compress. Where the Monroes where just the opposite. Easy to compress but difficult to extend. I just really liked the Monroe Rv shocks on that motorhome. I've read all of the e-mails saying how good the Bilstein are and I'm sure they are. They just didn't work for me on my old motorhome. I was lucky the Rv dealership I purchased the Bilstein from took them back. Monroe offers a 90 day ride free warranty. They say they will take them back and replace them if you do not like them. I'm not sure Bilstein offers anything like this.

Posted By: TJP on 03/28/06 10:45pm

If your Bilsteins raised your moho you put on the wrong shocks. Shock absorbers do not raise or lower vehicles unless they are air shocks. Their job is to absorb shocks, hence the name.

Posted By: RVJeeper on 03/28/06 04:57pm

ACBSKB wrote:

Hi
In the past I had put Bilstein on a 1999 Class A that I had and I hated them. So much that I replaced them with new Monroe Rv Shocks after only one month with the Bilsteins. I loved the Monroe shocks I swore I would never buy Bilstein again.
Thanks
AcbSkb

What was it that you disliked so much about the Bilsteins? Other folks have really liked the additional control they got after installing them. I really need to get new shocks but I'm torn right now between Monroe or Bilstein.

Ron

RVJeeper
2005 Itasca Sunova 34A
1993 Jeep Wrangler

Posted By: HiTech on 04/02/06 10:21am

Handbasket wrote:

Can't really say without knowing the age and miles on the old ones, but probably. Almost certainly if the old ones had more then 30-40K miles on them, and especially if they were OEM's.

And this raises an interesting point... almost _nobody_ on this forum ever bothers to state the miles on the old shocks (or at least the RV) when they start singing the praises of the new ones. Makes it hard fo the reader to tel just how badly the unit needed shocks to begin with.

Excellent point. I made SURE to change mine out within just a few thousand miles of new. 3k maybe? I wanted an apples to apples comparison. The difference was night and day.

The suspension engineers I have talked to tell me the OEM shocks HAVE to be designed to handle the full range of loads from a cutaway with NOTHING on the back, to a fully loaded chassis. Think about the huge range of loads this is. The range is so wide, that the shock is VERY poorly optimized for the extreme ends. One extreme is the bare chassis bumping down the road. The other is most motorhomes - a vehicle near or even over the max weight limit.

Just by being designed for, say 2000 lbs under to 1000 lbs over max load, RV shocks are going to work better. Now take into account that they are also better shocks than base OEM, and are tuned for comfort and control more than cargo, and it is not hard to understand why they work so much better. Then if you look at the Bilsteins with their lifetime, non-foaming design and it makes a lot of sense.

Posted By: Handbasket on 04/02/06 07:19am

Jaybird wrote:

p.s. would ANY NEW shock have made the difference?

Can't really say without knowing the age and miles on the old ones, but probably. Almost certainly if the old ones had more then 30-40K miles on them, and especially if they were OEM's.

And this raises an interesting point... almost _nobody_ on this forum ever bothers to state the miles on the old shocks (or at least the RV) when they start singing the praises of the new ones. Makes it hard fo the reader to tel just how badly the unit needed shocks to begin with.

Almost _any_ new shock will be a temporary improvement on a whipped OEM. How _long_ that imoprovement will last is a horse of a different color....

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Posted By: Desertsam on 04/02/06 06:52am

I bought my Monroe RV shocks at NAPA and www.rockauto.com and they were cheaper at RockAuto

2010 Navion A model
06 Honda CR-V 3600 lbs
13 Honda Fit 2600 lbs

Posted By: Jaybird on 04/01/06 08:43pm

27 ft Jambo Ralley E-350
News schocks at NAPA
made by Monroe by a little cheaper, was amazed by the difference.

jb

32' Fleetwood Southwind, Triton V-10 "Gerald FORD",
Chebby HHR with Stowmaster

Posted By: retiredandlovingit on 04/02/06 12:58am

Just replaced my OE shocks on my 2005, Ford E450 on Tuesday, March 28th. Wow--what a world of distance in the overall ride and handling. Only drove the unit about 15 miles but was really impressed as I thought I would be.
The 2006 units will probably accept the same shock #'s as the 2004 and 2005 units. You want to order P/N 555031(FRONT) and P/N 555032(REAR).
Some people had indicated that the Bilstein's were a little firmer than necessary so I took a chance on the Monroe HD RV shocks. And, consider having them installed for you by the professionals who have the equipment which makes the task so much easier.

Retired and Loving It

2005 Itasca Sundancer 30V
Chevy Tracker Toad

Posted By: retiredandlovingit on 04/02/06 01:01am

Just replaced my OE shocks on my 2005, Ford E450 on Tuesday, March 28th. Wow--what a world of difference in the overall ride and handling. Only drove the unit about 15 miles but was really impressed as I thought I would be.
The 2006 units will probably accept the same shock #'s as the 2004 and 2005 units. You want to order P/N 555031(FRONT) and P/N 555032(REAR).
Some people had indicated that the Bilstein's were a little firmer than necessary so I took a chance on the Monroe HD RV shocks. And, consider having them installed for you by the professionals who have the equipment which makes the task so much easier.

Posted By: nagel on 04/02/06 08:21am

I just replaced the OEM Shocks on my E350 (It had 50,000) miles on them with the Monroe Shocks. I haven't had time to give them a good test drive but the initial 5 mile ride seemed to be much better. When I took the OEM's off the two front I could push all the way in and they would not retract by themselves. I'm assuming they were shot. The backs could be pushed in easily and they would retract by themselves but it was quite a bit easier than the new shocks. I don't know if all this means anything, but it appeared that the OEM's were shot, but possibly the new ones would react the same way after a few miles.

By the way, I debated about doing the work myself or paying somebody. After doing it myself, I would recommend paying somebody next time. It wasn't impossible, but I did have to use a recipricating saw to cut the fronts off. I worked on one for 2 hours trying get the top nut off and finally took the saw to it. The backs were fairly easily, but right rear had a heat shield in the way that made it difficult to get to the top nut. The left rear was straight forward, but some previous owner or shop tried to lift the unit using the shock bracket and it was bent severely. I got the old one off, but could not get the new shock back on and had to take it to a shop to have the bracket restraightened.

I've always been a driveway mechanic and have replaced many shocks in the driveway, but this one about kicked my %##. Maybe I'm getting older, but I did the work two days ago and I am still very sore - hands, arms, shoulders, neck, and back. If somebody will do it for $100, it is money well spent.

Steve

Steven R. Nagel

Posted By: klhutch on 04/02/06 07:27pm

HiTech wrote:

Handbasket wrote:

Excellent point. I made SURE to change mine out within just a few thousand miles of new. 3k maybe? I wanted an apples to apples comparison. The difference was night and day.

We just changed out the shocks on our 23 foot BT Cruiser at 4900 miles. My wife is very pleased with the improvement in the ride in the coach. I can tell that the motorhome handles better. I would be hard pressed to say it is night and day but then our motorhome is not pushing the envelope of the OEM shocks as hard as bigger units do so that may explain the smaller difference. But there you have it, Bilstein 1613/1614 shocks on a low mileage, smallish class C, and the ride and handling improve without being too harsh. I don't think there is any question that shocks designed for the weight of a typical class C, be they Bilstein or Monroe, are a nice upgrade over the OEM units at any mileage. Whether they are necessary or even worth the price depends on how poor you feel the OEM shocks are. If your present shocks are worn out and you are facing the cost of replacing them anyway you certainly want to replace them with RV shocks.

Ken

Posted By: John S on 05/09/06 09:02am

RVJEEPER,

We have the same Coachman rig that you do except we have a 1999 model. We experienced a rough ride with the OEM shocks and the Firestone tires so we decided against the Bilsteins and went with the HD Monroe shocks and like them. Also went with Michelin LTX/MS tires and are very happy with the ride quality thus far. I think the Bilsteins are great shocks for most folks and rigs but for a smaller unit like ours they appeared to be overkill. We have never had any control problems, as our rig is not that long, so we did not need to address that concern. I recommend the Monroes and the Michelin approach along with the Borg valves for the dualies. Happy Camping

John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft

Posted By: John S on 05/26/06 09:39pm

Just put about 2,000 miles on my new Michelins and WOW - what an improved ride. Forget about the shocks and go with the Michelin LTX MS tires. They really improved the ride for us. Wish I would have installed them a year or two ago but I was cheap and wanted to get the most out of the old Firestones.

Now, with the Monroe shocks and the Michelin tires we experience a great ride and have very good control.

Posted By: HiTech on 05/08/06 11:01am

MDTransplant wrote:

Don't bother contacting Monroe. I e-mailed them and they said if it is not listed in the catalogue they can't advise you. Specifically:

Sorry, I have no further information regarding the 2005 models and whether
it carries over using the same parts as the 2004 models. Best method wold
be to obtain the O.E. p/n's off the shocks and then see if they interchange
to a Monroe p/n.

Sincerely -

Jeff Gutschow
Technical Assistance

Easier to check with Ford dealer and see if Ford p/n is the same for your model as for the 2004.

This would be the best method IMO.

Posted By: Handbasket on 05/08/06 12:07pm

CD, you might try researching in some other shock mfg'r's online catalog to see if they list the same P/N for the '06 as for the '04. If so, this'd be an indication that the earlier shocks still fit.

Maybe try NAPA, Bilstein, Koni, etc., until you (hopefully) find someone with an '06 listing, then compare it to the earlier year. That, or talk to your Ford dealer's parts department, tho' a rather small change in internal valving might result in a different P/N for OEM's.

Jim, "If it's called tourist season, why can't we hunt 'em?"

Posted By: prchoudh on 04/21/06 10:19pm

I put the Bilsteins on my 2006. I called Bilstein directly because I did not see it on the application chart. You might want to call Monroe directly.

2006 Fleetwood Tioga 31M(Bilsteins,Safe-T Plus,BANKS,K&N filter,Hellwig Sway Bars,Blue Ox Aventa,US GEAR Unified Tow Brake)
2006 Chevrolet HHR
2006 PT Cruiser Turbo
1 Child & 3 dogs(2 Border Collies and 1 Cocker Spaniel)

Posted By: GSUEagleTailgator on 05/11/06 02:11pm

HiTech wrote:

MDTransplant wrote:

Don't bother contacting Monroe. I e-mailed them and they said if it is not listed in the catalogue they can't advise you. Specifically:

to a Monroe p/n.

Sincerely -

Jeff Gutschow
Technical Assistance

Easier to check with Ford dealer and see if Ford p/n is the same for your model as for the 2004.

This would be the best method IMO.

I checked my collision estimating software. It does not have the E450 in the database so I used a E350 extended cargo van w/ the V10 for reference.

On the E350, the 2004 and 2005 models have the same exact part numbers for both the front and rear shocks. The heavy duty frt shock part number is F5UZ18124B and the rear is F5UZ18125A, again both 2004 and 2005 are showing the same part numbers.

Posted By: Jaybird on 04/04/06 12:14am

Handbasket wrote:

Jaybird wrote:

Almost _any_ new shock will be a temporary improvement on a whipped OEM. How _long_ that imoprovement will last is a horse of a different color....

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

Ok "Mo"

I'll fess up!

Legal coach ( 21 years HAR), Class C. Fleet Jambo 27 ft 53,000 miles.

ORIGINAL

when I took her in, was told, there was " nothing left in the orig, and sitting on the grommets".

That's why I asked. I think a "PEP Boys $9.99 special" would even have felt good!

JB

Posted By: jojolou on 04/22/06 04:48am

I replaced my OEM shocks last fall, had 4400 miles on them. The Monroes give a much improved ride and handeling, definately worth the money!

jojolou

Lou
2008 Allegro Bay 35 TSB W-25.5

Posted By: wanderingblindly on 04/21/06 07:59pm

retiredandlovingit wrote:

Just replaced my OE shocks on my 2005, Ford E450 on Tuesday, March 28th. Wow--what a world of difference in the overall ride and handling. Only drove the unit about 15 miles but was really impressed as I thought I would be.

I've got a 93 E350 and starting tomorrow the new rear tires and Monroe RV shocks go on!! I can't wait for the first drive. I am getting professionals to put them on but having bought them at http://www.stengelbros.com for an average of $26.50 per shock, the $125.00 installation fee at my tire place is not a big problem. My gut tells me the O/E shocks are still on my unit.

I'm also going for Toyo Open Country H/T Load Rating E at $110.00 per tire and salvaging two good Load Rating E off the back for the front. I've heard a lot about the Michelins, etc. but for the miles I'm going to NOT put on my weekend rig and the Quality Rating of 640 - A - A I'll take the chance on a 2/3 price tire. 640 is the Treadwear Rating, A is the second highest Traction rating and the second A is the second highest Temp rating. I'm most interesting the Temp then Treadware rating and my tire guy says 380 - 450 is pretty good and this rating is great!

Cheers.

I'll let you all know.

1993 Dutchmen 29ft. Ford E350 C-Class
Lia the Shiba Inu
"On the road, periodically"

Posted By: CDWall on 05/08/06 10:29am

ACBSKB wrote:

Hi
I'm looking to put Monroe RV Shocks on my 2006 E450 but Monroe does not list any unit newer then 2004! I wonder why. Has anyone out there put the Monroe Rv shock on a 2005 or 2006 E450?

Did anybody ever find out an answer to this?

I just tried to set up an appointment to put in Monroe shocks on my 2006 E350 and they said the catalog only lists up to 2004. Anybody had these 2004s put on their 2005/2006 models?

Posted By: CDWall on 05/08/06 11:18am

Thanks! I saw that and planned to do this but was wondering if anybody had actually had 2004s put on their 2005/2006 models.

Posted By: MDTransplant on 04/21/06 10:55pm

to a Monroe p/n.

Sincerely -

Jeff Gutschow
Technical Assistance

Posted By: RVJeeper on 05/10/06 08:13pm

John S wrote:

We have the same Coachman rig that you do except we have a 1999 model. We experienced a rough ride with the OEM shocks and the Firestone tires so we decided against the Bilsteins and went with the HD Monroe shocks and like them.

Thanks John. I have the new Monroe shocks ready to mount as soon as my mechanic buddy gets the time. Great to hear I made the right choice!

Ron

Posted By: RVJeeper on 07/08/06 08:00am

Finally got my mechanic to install the Monroe shocks, and what a difference! A very comfortable ride, but without all the top-heavy feeling the rig had before. Haven't had it out on the interstate yet to see if the "push" is as bad when being passed but hopefully that will be less as well.

The installation wasn't exactly easy. The top mounts are really tough to get at on all 4 corners. The really tough one was the rear passenger side - it was evidently close to the heat of the exhaust and really corroded. After lots of rust solvent and working the nut back and forth it finally gave up.

* This post was edited 07/09/06 05:24am by RVJeeper *

Posted By: WarBound on 07/08/06 08:01pm

I just had my monroe 55531 & 55532 put on yesterday. I had a truck place install them since they were doing all my brakes to make sure I am ready for the Grand Canyon and my 4,800 mile journey. They charged me $150 but it was a bugger of a job. I Know, I tried myself, I picked the hardest shock first the Driver front. I gave up after an hour. Weird wrench sizes, rusted nuts and minimal access room and I had enough.

The ride is great. Have not gone interstate yet to see if trucks or cars push me. Al I know is the ride at 45 mph on a very bumpy horrible road here in Michigan was awesome...I drove that road very recently before the shocks went on so I definitely can feel the ride being smoother. I would say the front improved the most...so smooth now...back is better but not as improved as I noticed on the front. Unbelievable coach ride now.

1997 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye-31
Ford Triton V-10 28k miles
Full basement model with all options

Posted By: gelrog on 05/28/06 01:03pm

I did the same. Michelin LTX M/S tires and Monroe Shocks. Did the front end alignment as well once all completed and I love the ride. Like night and day compared to the old setup with OEM shocks and Firestones.

2002 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
1999 Honda CRV

Posted By: Lawman5383 on 07/08/06 10:15pm

You are most definitely in the minority with your dislike of the Bilstein shocks. I would not write them off too quickly because as Hit-Tech mentioned Class A MH's are totally different application. I put them on my 31' Class c a couple months ago and havent looked back. Additionally, dont let the alleged rougher ride Bilsteins give scare you or anyone else off because the ride IMHO is not rougher but stiff. YOu will get a better warranty with the Bilsteins as well. Good Luck with your decision.

Allen

2007 Cedar Creek Silverback 33LBHTS 5th Wheel
2007 Ford F350 SRW 6.0 PSD Crew Cab FX4 Reese 18K Signature Series 5er Slider Hitch
Allen the Dad, Robin the Mom, Maddy 6, Josh 4, and Rusty the meanest 15 lb Cairn Terrier Puppy ever.

Print  |  Close