RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 324  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Scrapz

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 05/26/2007

View Profile



Posted: 01/14/12 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our trash can is not in the cabinet, only the tennis ball is. I had the trash can in a cabinet for a while in our previous RV. But then I gave it up for the storage.


louiskathy wrote:



The logical place for our trash can is in front of the fridge but it's really hard to find a short/wide waste basket with a lid that is only 13-1/2 inches tall (so the fridge door clears it) but still is wide enough to be useful. (We use grocery bags inside.) Bed Bath and beyond has one online right now but not all the stores carry it.

I use two eye hooks and a bunge cord to secure it to the wall under the fridge door. I'd love to put it inside the kitchen cabinet but I just can't give up the storage space under the sink for a wastebasket.



Kathy

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/14/12 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

louiskathy wrote:

el.sifon wrote:

When we started full timing we stored all our loose items and important papers in plastic boxes. That worked OK but it made the motorhome look rather dumpy. On a shopping trip to "Michael's" we found decorative storage boxes made to look like books and antique suitcases. They were a little pricey at normal prices but we happened be there when they were on a 2 for 1 sales. Now our important papers are stored in what looks like an big old antique book and my computer stuff and desk items are stored in a small antique looking suitcase. Paper for the printer in stored in another small treasure chest. All of these are out in the open and the motorhome looks like it was professionally decorated. This may not be good for the part timer but full timers should find this useful for some of their stuff.


Went to Michael's last night and they have lots of baskets on sale right now. 40% off. Couldn't find what we wanted, exactly... (I found two containers with hinged lids that I almost bought.) Went to Pier One and found something that worked perfectly and it was on sale, too. Now's the time to shop for storage containers, I guess.


Another good place for "designer" containers, baskets, etc. is Cost Plus World Market. Their basket selection is usually better than Michaels.


Jeannie

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/12/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/17/12 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found some sink liners at BB&B and I cut them down to fit our double sink. I also cut round holes where the drains were. All this was done because the plastic sinks in the trailers are very susceptible to scratching.
I can say that they have worked fine now for three years and the bottom of the sink looks like new.


2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2012 Jayco 322 FKS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/17/12 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

We found some sink liners at BB&B and I cut them down to fit our double sink. I also cut round holes where the drains were. All this was done because the plastic sinks in the trailers are very susceptible to scratching.
I can say that they have worked fine now for three years and the bottom of the sink looks like new.


Can you provide a picture or a link? I went to BB&B's website and didn't find anything like you are describing.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/12/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/17/12 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry no pic presently.
These are mats that you put in the bottom of a sink at home. They are fairly large for a trailer sink. They are made of the same stuff as a shower mat.
I had to cut them down and then I used a hole saw (an electrical trade saw for holes.
The mats are clear and have square holes in them.
Hope this helps

wilpower

Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 01/08/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/17/12 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bet tomman58 is talking about THESE


Wil & Cyndi & Einstein (African Gray)


tomman58

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/12/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/17/12 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilpower wrote:

I bet tomman58 is talking about THESE



You bet, those are them! We have been disappointed in prior trailers as to the sinks and these mats real aid in keeping them looking good.

I am not sure what they offer today but from what we've seen at RV shows it is more of the same.

We have superior sinks at our homes but they are really heavy and most likely not offered. Stainless steel sucks and looks beat up after a year or two.

We are looking at a new Jayco but most likely the same sink soo more mats.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/17/12 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

wilpower wrote:

I bet tomman58 is talking about THESE



You bet, those are them! We have been disappointed in prior trailers as to the sinks and these mats real aid in keeping them looking good.

I am not sure what they offer today but from what we've seen at RV shows it is more of the same.

We have superior sinks at our homes but they are really heavy and most likely not offered. Stainless steel sucks and looks beat up after a year or two.

We are looking at a new Jayco but most likely the same sink soo more mats.


My RV sink is white plastic...as probably many are, so yea, i take great care trying not to scratch it ... this looks like a good alternative. Question, the pic posted in the prior link. it looks like it is countoured and molded to fit a larger sink and kind of a harder plastic, is that the kind you use and you were able to cut it? I was thinking maybe you had the 'non' countoured type as that might be more pliable and easily cut/trimmed? If not, what did you cut it with? I know you said you used a hole saw for the center, but did a simple pair of scissors work to trim the exterior to size?

MacGyverTX

Houston,TX

New Member

Joined: 07/24/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/25/12 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 06/12/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/25/12 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayWalker2009 wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

wilpower wrote:

I bet tomman58 is talking about THESE



You bet, those are them! We have been disappointed in prior trailers as to the sinks and these mats real aid in keeping them looking good.

I am not sure what they offer today but from what we've seen at RV shows it is more of the same.

We have superior sinks at our homes but they are really heavy and most likely not offered. Stainless steel sucks and looks beat up after a year or two.

We are looking at a new Jayco but most likely the same sink soo more mats.


My RV sink is white plastic...as probably many are, so yea, i take great care trying not to scratch it ... this looks like a good alternative. Question, the pic posted in the prior link. it looks like it is countoured and molded to fit a larger sink and kind of a harder plastic, is that the kind you use and you were able to cut it? I was thinking maybe you had the 'non' countoured type as that might be more pliable and easily cut/trimmed? If not, what did you cut it with? I know you said you used a hole saw for the center, but did a simple pair of scissors work to trim the exterior to size?


I am sure you can cut then with just a sharp knife as they are a very soft plastic. I sized them with my radial arm saw (way overkill but worked great)
These conture to the bottom of your sink nicely.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 324  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Handy Hints, Gadgets, Products & Gizmos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS