|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Waste disposal time limit

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
orca

Sunland,ca Los Angeles county

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/02 11:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm curious if anyone has advice on problems that could occur by leaving only urine waste in the waste tank. I haven't had a chance to dump it and its been about a month. We only used it 3 times and it is only urine. I used that chemical blue dye to contain smells every time i dump it. I added a gallon or 2 of water into the tank to keep it diluted. Will this help to keep the tank fresh and my Class c28 smelling fresh?
Weird questions of the month category!
thanks

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/02 12:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do it all the time, I add about 5 gallons of water (45 gal tank), then the chemicals. We can't use the blue chemicals that contain formaldehyde due to disposal problems but still don't run into any problems.

guitarman

Winston-Salem, NC,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/02 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do as well. We don't use the blue stuff either, I prefer TST. I wait until the tank is at least 3/4 full.

Mike and Christine Villano
2008 Toyota Tundra
2013 Palomino SolAire Eclipse 297RLDS
Sheltie, Charlotte
Daschund, Dapple

LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/02 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same here. Don't use the blue dye. Hurts the environment, kills the good bacteria and limits where you can dump, especially in California.

I've done the same thing; dumped and cleaned tanks at sites with dump stations after camping, but for those one day trips with no dump sites, or boondocking, waited until the next camping trip (or stop at Flying J) or until the tanks become 2/3 to 3/4 full; whichever comes first. Haven't had any problems with odor or waste residue to date. I'm using an enzyme based product compatible with my city's sewer system so that I could dump at home when absolutely necessary. I just make sure that there's plenty of liquid in the tank so that solids will fully dissolve.

*This Message was edited on 14-Mar-02 06:05 PM by LLeopold*

Lou Leopold
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Quad, SWB, 3.55:1, Rhino Lining
2000 25' Mallard M-23 5M 5th Wheel
Husky 15K w/EZ slider
Wen PowerPro 3500 Generator in a sound box
And I continue to tent camp!

mombum

Chattanooga, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/02 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, if no one can use the " blue chemicals" then why is it made and sold by the same company that makes the toilet? Or are we talking about a different blue stuff? I make reference to Campa Chem and Thetford.

Time's a wastin'

mombum
'00 Winnebago Journey DP
'02 Saturn
'00 Red Dachsie, Molly

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/02 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mombum:
We belong to a private club with our own park and had to put in a sand filter sewer system. The engineers told us the formaldehyde would kill the bacteria it needs to work and cost $1,000 to clean out and restart the system. Does the same thing to any septic system. Some parks have two dump stations, one for the good stuff (TST, enzyme's etc) and another one for the blue Thetford type stuff.

Phils

Cherokee, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/02 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Orca,

No problem at all leaving it that long or longer. But you can do yourself and your environment a favor by skipping the "blue stuff".

20 years ago we didn't want to kill our septic system, so researched holding tank solutions. Settled on Mr. Clean. Environmentally friendly, works well and is inexpensive. During hot weather I add 1/2 bottle to about 5 gallons of water after flushing tanks. Winter I use 1/3 bottle.

Saw a TV ad last night for 4 new 'flavors' of Mr. Clean, in additon to the pine scent. I'll check labels to make sure only the fragrance changed.

Our septic is still working good, with no odor. Also no odor from the RV and sometimes it will have waste in the tanks for a couple of months.

rich_s

Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/02 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

orca,
Once saw a sign on the break room fridge of a company I was visiting. It said "If it can walk, then set it free!" Folks said the group did a much better job of throwing out the old stuff in the fridge after the sign was added.

I wouldn't try to set any holding tank records if I were you.

Happy Travels!

Rich

LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/15/02 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mombum: The folks continue to make that stuff because its cheap to make, people continue to buy it, make a profit in it, and there are no laws against it (it's just getting harder to find dumping stations that permit one to dump using it).

I guess the best way to describe the "aldahyde" stuff is that formaldahyde and the other "aldahydes" are used to preserve organic materials. Why would I want to preserve my waste products? I want them broken down to their component parts as rapidly as possible. Enzyme and bacteria-based products accomplish this. Since the smell comes from bacteria breaking down the waste and their waste is methane gas, the enzyme/bacteria-based products accelerate this process and minimize the gas produced rather than slow it down, as the "aldahyde" products do (which is why they need the additional chemicals to overcome the smell).

Various folks have their favorite brands, and they are all good and compatible with the environment based on what I've seen. What drove me to my particular brand was I wanted something compatible with my community's waste management system and was able to find its RV counterpart. This way I could dump to my city sewer system if necessary without worrying about the city coming down on me.

*This Message was edited on 15-Mar-02 11:39 AM by LLeopold*

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Waste disposal time limit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS