RV.Net Open Roads Forum: This Vehicle is not recommeded for use with slide-in camper

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> This Vehicle is not recommeded for use with slide-in camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
18seeds

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So some of you may know i just purchased an 06 Dodge 2500 Double Cab CTD. Today i look into the glove compartment and find a piece of paper that says "DaimlerChrysler Consumer Information Truck-Camper Loading" It has some pictures on the recommendation location for cargo. In the middle of the paper it states "This vehicle is not recommended for use with a slide-in camper".

Anybody have an explanation for this?

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo DIESEL

D&SBarnes

San Antonio, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 09:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been the topic of many discussions and at best we can only summize that it is a CYA by DC. Whether it is because of any shortfalls or overloading of any components is pure conjecture, but more than likely they are taking a step to cover themselves because of the general nature of top heavy campers being put into a already high center of gravity truck. (Be that because of braking, sway, weight transfer, etc.) They evidently have no qualms about you loading it up with 2,000 pounds of bricks because it sits low and between the fenders. So the only other issue can possibly be the fact that the weight is distributed totally different with a TC.
How seriously you wish to take this notice is up to you.
There is obviously a big difference between "not recommended" and "do not".
Not all the trucks they produce have gotten the notice, which brings up even more questions as to what the differences are and why it is a problem in their view.

Dave & Sue,
DINKS and dedicated to having fun as much as possible.

05 GMC LT crewcab dually
07 Northern Lite 10.2 CD SE, highly optioned version...
A lot comes on a SE.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bottom line is that nobody (myself included) knows why Dodge puts that disclaimer in the glove box of certain trucks, except Dodge………and they ain’t talking.

There used to be a member on this forum that thought through persistence that he could get a real answer from Dodge. I told him he was wasting his time. After numerous emails, phone calls and letters over a couple of months (as I recall it), he finally gave up. He never got an answer.

Brad

stgrlee

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The notice was in the glove box of my new 05 Ram when I bought it. I wonder if it's just the 4X4, or 4X2 also. If there is someone with a 05 or 06 4X2, please let us know, thanks. It's so wierd because it says not recommended for camper, and then shows how to load one.

Go figure...

Lee

* This post was edited 05/17/06 10:46pm by stgrlee *

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Big Horn 4X4, Short Box, CTD 610, 6 speed G56
2002 Six Pac SC 150. (8' 6")
Honda EU2000i generator
Tork Lifts with Fast Gun Derringers

Don't look back, 'cause something might be gaining on you!!!

mjgcamper

Nowhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you could get a good answere from Dana. I would start there, letting them know what truck you have and what differentials you have. Next go to the tire ratings together with the gross vehicle axle weight ratings from dana not DC.

I would next go to a suspension shop and say please give me a rock for a slide in camper.

Peace and Good will to all,
don't forget country roads,
try travel em' all.

luv2travelnow

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge just cant handle the load....

2006 GMC Long Bed
2001 Jayco 23B HTT
19?? WIFE AS YOUNG AS ALWAY

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/06 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and the answer is.....

You didn't get the "camper package" (which is only a swaybar).

No package, no cert.

Whizbang
2010 F150 with 1994 Jayco Sportster 7ft Pop-up
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

bcs

Albany,Or,USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 10:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this just that;
1) all Dodge trucks have this sheet of paper
and
2) only a few Dodge model trucks have the OK instead of Not Recommended?

I think the "Camper Package" on my 02 F350 consists of; the heaviest springs available (which it likely had anyway), (maybe) the rear antiroll bar and the official sheet of paper.

'00 ArticFox 1150, torklift
'02 F350 CC 4x4 V10 auto 3:73-LS, Firestone ride-rites, RMX monotubes, Toyo M608z 245/70R19.5

Tee

Highland, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 04.5 Ram 2500 QC CTD 4x4 had that same paper. (Not recomended for camper use!) My 06 3500 4x4 MegaCab CTD Dually has the same paper but says I can put a camper weighing 1493lbs ?????????

Read the fine print! It is a total joke, it is all in compliance with some federal law to "notify" the "Original" owner of where "any vehicle capable of carring a camper" should place the load.....Why my Mega cab has a load carring capacity of over 3000 lb based on GVWR and GAWR, but a camper load of only 1493???? Go figure! A load is a load isn't it?????

In todays world where people can sue (and win?) over thier own stupidity of spilling hot coffee in thier crotch and winning. (same class of people that sue Micky D's because they are over weight and it is because Micky D's "offers" a "super size" meal and now they are sloppy fat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

The notice you are reading is Dodges only response to keep them out of a frivilouse law suit. In laymans terms. Its a "cover Dodge's a$$!" in compliance with a law because some dip stick put too much camper on too little truck, then sued the truck manufacture for his dumb a$$ stupidity when a problem was realized.....And won the suit because of the "its never my fault" mentality of some liberal jury. Take responsability for your own actions, read the real numbers (GAWR, Tire Rating, GVWR, those are the ones the DOT cares about, not a paper in the glove box!)

In risk of repeating myself, Don't worry about the paper, look at your GAWR, GVWR, and Tire rating. Tire rating being the highest priority because that is where the DOT will look first. Then decide if you can "safely" carry the load! If the tires can, the GAWR says you can, the truck can!!!!

Slow down and drive defensivly all the time, camper on or not. You will be better off stressing over that than some paper some law professional had to come up with to protect its client from stupid people.

Going to bed now... Going camping in 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upon edit I realized that Kenworth, Peterbuilt, Mack etc: None of them have a GCVWR, GAWR is regulated by the DOT and the Tires mounted on the truck and the time the load is measured. GCVWR is regulated again by the DOT, not the MFG. Hmmmm...... Now I am going to bed!

* This post was last edited 05/17/06 11:12pm by Tee *   View edit history

Mega Cab Dually CTD 4x4
Lance 861

18seeds

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/06 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stgrlee wrote:

It's so wierd because it says not recommenened for camper, and then shows how to load one.

HAHA was thinking the same thing.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> This Vehicle is not recommeded for use with slide-in camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS