RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How do I troubleshoot an old fridge?:1975 Trav'ler by Elixir

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How do I troubleshoot an old fridge?:1975 Trav'ler by Elixir

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
x47016

palo alto, ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/06 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I have a "Trav'ler by Elixir" model 601-40 refrigerator (about 3' tall) in my 1975 Dodge Sportsman. I made sure that the unit was level (with a level in the freezer) and fired it up but nothing cooled. A few days ago, before I leveled it, I fired it up and it seemed that the freezer was cooling.

1) Any advice on troubleshooting etc.? How do I figure out what the problem is and how to fix it? Is it a possibility that leveling (with respect to the freezer) actually stopped it from working?

2) The fridge is set up for gas and electric - does the electric run off the marine battery or off the external source (generator etc.)?

3) Someone told me that these old fridges can be "burped" - basically pulled out and turned upside down to do something to the fluid inside. Does anyone know anything about this?

4) Is it possible to get used refrigerators of this model/type? Or replacement parts? Apparently a new one is around $1,000. Does anyone know of RV junk yards or shops that can service RV fridges in the bay area?

And if anyone knows of older forumn conversations that are relevant, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Alex

rav

Northern Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/06 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not sure if this will help but try this website
http://www.bryantrv.com/index.html

if you POST a problem please POST the solution!!!

2005 Bounder 38N
2012 Ford Escape toad
me, DW and our 2 dogs

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/06 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well if your fridge is that old it might cost you 1/2 to 3/4 of a new one to get working properly and if you can get any parts for it might even be very hard, the cooling coils in back can be replaced with ones recharged but what about the other parts, if it was me I would just save up money and replace with a new or rebuilt one, you can find rebuilt ones on the net cant remember the web sites but I think you can look on ebay but it will cost 3/4 of a new one.......Good luck.........

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/06 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turning it upside down mixes the coolant you can try it,make sure you have the gas pilot working that cools it,most are 110 volt but they are 12 volt ones.if your going to be pluged in use just buy a 110 volt model.

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

thehoneybees

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/06 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello x47016,
we purchased a 1980 dodge sportsman B300 360 v/8 honey motorhome recently and have a TRAV'LER by ELIXIR absorption refrigerator model# 602-40 gas/electric refrig. I have the original elixir owners manual with information for our model above. This maybe of help to you, no idea what the differences are with your model and ours.

I have downloaded the scanned .jpegs of the two pages from the owners manual Trouble Shooters Hints page and the Starting-Up Gas Operation page to my yahoo/photos. I can send you a private message with the url of where to view the 2 pages on my yahoo/photos.

Are you interested?

doughere

Mooresville NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/06 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it worked once, then the sealed system is probably OK.

You can take the unit out and "burp" it, but if it worked once recently, I would guess that's not the problem.

On electric it is probalby set up to use 115 AC (external generator, or shore power). When running on electric or gas you need a source of heat. When on propane, there is a small flame about the size of a pilot light near the bottom of the system (in an enclosure with either some sort of peep hole, or a cover you must remove to see), on electric a small heater (in the 100 watt range is usually located about 6 inches higher up on the system). Gently feeling the system piping, you should be able to feel this source of heat.

These units take a long time to start cooling, so let it run for a day before deciding it's not cooling. Good idea is to always store items already cooled in your home refrig in unit instead of putting in a lot of room temp stuff and trying to get the portable unit to cool it.

Doug

x47016

palo alto, ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/06 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I'm going to tinker with it a bit more and see what happens. In the meantime - does anyone know where on the net to find good used/new ones? And also - how do I know what size to look for?

x47016

palo alto, ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/06 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thehoneybees wrote:

Hello x47016,
we purchased a 1980 dodge sportsman B300 360 v/8 honey motorhome recently and have a TRAV'LER by ELIXIR absorption refrigerator model# 602-40 gas/electric refrig. I have the original elixir owners manual with information for our model above. This maybe of help to you, no idea what the differences are with your model and ours.

I have downloaded the scanned .jpegs of the two pages from the owners manual Trouble Shooters Hints page and the Starting-Up Gas Operation page to my yahoo/photos. I can send you a private message with the url of where to view the 2 pages on my yahoo/photos.

Are you interested?

Sure - I'd love to see the jpegs. And does your refrig run off of the battery or external electric (AC or DC) source? Thanks!

dodgespuller

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/06 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I too had a problem with my fridge on my dodgesportman.Instead of fixing the old fridge, I bought a new electric fridges at circuit city for about 249 dollars plus tax.I had to teardown the top cabinet to fit the fridge.If you have the same dodgesportman like mine it fit snugly in there.you also gonna need a brackets to hold it down.go to homedepot for those.hope this help.

x47016

palo alto, ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/06 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodgespuller wrote:

Hi, I too had a problem with my fridge on my dodgesportman.Instead of fixing the old fridge, I bought a new electric fridges at circuit city for about 249 dollars plus tax.I had to teardown the top cabinet to fit the fridge.If you have the same dodgesportman like mine it fit snugly in there.you also gonna need a brackets to hold it down.go to homedepot for those.hope this help.

So - do you have a generator to power it, or have a regular source of external power? All I have is propane at this point, although I might be able to run an extension cord to the RV . . .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How do I troubleshoot an old fridge?:1975 Trav'ler by Elixir
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS