Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Faded fibergalss needs restoring

Posted By: Theriles on 07/30/06 06:28pm

My outside fiberglass is looking bad.. Whats the best stuff to resotre it to its original luster?

Posted By: basics1963 on 07/30/06 06:51pm

Well I redid a 1963 LoneStar 18' boat (fiberglass) looked dull would put it mildly. I used Maguire's mirror glaze heavy oxidation remover, then their boat/rv polish came out looking like new. After that I just used mothers California gold carnauba wax to keep it looking great.

Enjoy the experience and experience the joy

Semper Fi

Kevin (me)
Sheila & Samantha (the cats)
1983 38' ForeTravel
Detroit Diesel 8.2 turbo charged
Allison MT643
Oshkosh chassis

Posted By: 352 on 07/30/06 07:25pm

try penetrol.follow the directions very carefully.gel coat will shine like new and stay that way.remove oxidized areas first.penetrol has been on mine for four months and still looks like new.good luk

1937(BAD BOY)pontiac,all steel,chevy 350,dyno=405hp,650 holley double pumper,ps,pb tilt wheel,heat & air,
700 r4 tranny,headers,3" exhaust with flowmasters
just a good ole southern redneck country boy

Come visit with us and swim with the Manatees

Posted By: JVH on 07/30/06 07:34pm

352 wrote:

try penetrol.follow the directions very carefully.gel coat will shine like new and stay that way.remove oxidized areas first.penetrol has been on mine for four months and still looks like new.good luk

I am confused.
Penetrol is an oil based paint conditioner.

http://www.flood.com/Flood/Products/Interior/PaintAdditives/Penetrol+Interior+Prod+Page.htm?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=penetrol

I was unaware of there being instructions on it for use on fiberglass.
Could it be a different product you are thinking of?

John, Cyndi, Alex & Angel
1995 American Eagle 39AF WB
Overland Park, Kansas

Posted By: 352 on 07/30/06 07:48pm

JVH wrote:

352 wrote:

I am confused.
Penetrol is an oil based paint conditioner.

http://www.flood.com/Flood/Products/Interior/PaintAdditives/Penetrol+Interior+Prod+Page.htm?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=penetrol

I was unaware of there being instructions on it for use on fiberglass.
Could it be a different product you are thinking of?

read the back of the can.talked to a rep and indeed this product will do as i said if used as directed.worked for me.talk to john milner at flood.com.this product is not a walk in the park to apply

Posted By: SCHARLEY on 07/30/06 07:51pm

http://www.prestoprotech.com/

SCHARLEY

Posted By: Terryallan on 07/30/06 08:37pm

There is way to make it look like new. If you got the time. Notice it won't work on fiberglass with clear coat.
Get 400 grit water sand paper, Use a block to keep it flat, and sand the surface using alot of water as you sand. Once you have done the whole thing, Change to 600 gritt. Wheb finished with that use a lite buffing compound. The finish it off with a good wax.
IT will shine better than new. It will also be slicker than owl do do.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

Posted By: 352 on 07/30/06 09:40pm

Terryallan wrote:

There is way to make it look like new. If you got the time. Notice it won't work on fiberglass with clear coat.
Get 400 grit water sand paper, Use a block to keep it flat, and sand the surface using alot of water as you sand. Once you have done the whole thing, Change to 600 gritt. Wheb finished with that use a lite buffing compound. The finish it off with a good wax.
IT will shine better than new. It will also be slicker than owl do do.

you are right.lots of work.but a like new finish.good luk

Posted By: Heritage Tropical 04 on 07/30/06 09:55pm

I tried all kinds of cleaners and found Gelgloss to work well with not to much work. It takes off black streaks / dull finish and it also takes off the dirt that seems to be right in the motorhome finish. the trick is to keep using clean rags as you apply the ploish. You can buy it at home depot in the fiberglass tub and sinks sections as well as camping world. I spent a lot of money trying all types of cleaners and nothing has given the results that Gelgloss has.

2004 Tropical T370

Posted By: chuck4788 on 07/30/06 11:27pm

Go to a West Marine store, they are everywhere, and check out the 3M and Maguir fiberglass products. You need a product with abasives to remove the oxidation. The 3M products seem to have the best truth in labeling. Hopefully you don't need to wet sand.

A boat detailer can make the gel coat look like new which will provide a good base for future waxing.

Chuck
02 Beaver
505hp C12 Cat
Trailblazer toad

Posted By: TropicalRV on 07/31/06 08:17am

I've used every kind of wax and snake oil sold on the market and all of them only provide a temporary solution that lasts maybe a month at best. I chose to have my fiberglass painted and clearcoated two years ago. I looks as good as the day it was done and I never wax it. The cost was reasonable and well worth it. I had it done at RV Truck and Clearcoating in Tampa, FL. Their website is:
www.rvtruckclearcoating.com

Paul
2001 Tropi-Cal 6350, Ford V-10, 310HP, 7.77 MPG
2002 Honda CRV 2WD, 27 MPG

Posted By: 2SAM on 07/31/06 08:33am

Theriles wrote:

My outside fiberglass is looking bad.. Whats the best stuff to restore it to its original luster?

You may want to check this website out, they even have a demo video.. www.poliglowproducts.com
This products restores fiberglass, they claim.

Posted By: rchonly on 07/31/06 08:47am

Theriles:

I posted this back on July 10. I'm still grinning.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Photog101

I had the same problem with my 1990 Winnebago Chieftain and cured the problem very nicely with Presto - GelCoat Rejuvenator. It took some work and about 18 hours of my time, but it really impressed me with the results. Looks very close to a clear coat.

Here's a link to their website www.prestoprotech.com review the product line and how it works, judge for yourself if this makes sense. I know just enough about fiberglass to be dangerous and this stuff made sense to me.

I stepped up to the window about 3 months ago and have not regretted one dollar of the money I spent for this product. It's not cheap, but most good stuff isn't.

May you have a happy shining RV. I do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Roger

1991 - 38" American Eagle - 8.3 Cummin's w/Allison 4spd
(Purchased 4-15-10 w/5,600 miles on it)
99 Dodge Durango/SLT 4X4 - Toad

Posted By: JVH on 07/31/06 09:13am

Both of the products, PolyCoat and Prestopro are acrylic coatings. They use to sell something similar on tv called "Touchless Auto Finish", where they would go into a junkyard and put it on half of a junker to make it look good. It may be a good clearcoat replacement, but they do not remove oxidization, streaks, or stains. You need to polish out the finish, touchup chips, then put something like this on to maintain the finish. The Fiberglass sides of most newer MH's are closer to boats than cars. Most of the marine polishes or restorers should work fine.

Posted By: rchonly on 07/31/06 10:47am

I have to respond to JVH.

Having recently, as stated above, applied this product to my old Chieftain I've become pretty familiar with what it is, it's application and results.

Policoat may well be an acrylic product.

"Presto Gel Coat Rejuvenator" definitely is not acrylic. If you had gone to their website and read what this product is you would know this.

It does get rid of the oxidation, it does remove streaks and stains, it does restore abbrated areas.

It sets up from exposure to UV, I don't believe acrylic requires this process.

The junkyard demonstration product you refer to as "Touchless ......." may well be what is also known as "NuFinish" and it is an acrylic that I tried many years ago and was not impressed with the results.

The "Presto......." product does exactly what it claims to do and like anything else of value requires following the manufacturers directions in it's application and it did give the results that I was looking for.

Roger

Posted By: Yellowboatdeactivate on 07/31/06 11:25am

I recently used Polyglow on my 1973 boat. It wasn't too bad to apply. Just follow the instructions.

There is a cleaner that is used first. Any stains will show through and some work should be done to remove stains.

Next you apply 6 or 7 coats of Polyglow. It isn't hard to apply but it takes some time. You don't have to rub it off as you do wax. With my boat, by the time I got one coat on, I could starts on the next coat.

After I finished I went fishing and a group of guys told me they were discussing my boat. One of them asked me if I had restored the boat.

I don't know how durable it will be but it held up for one fishing trip and still looks good. Instructions say to add one new coat about every 6 months. One coat is easy.

A kit for my boat was around $50.00.

Now if you have the money, in my opinion, a better choice would be paint and clearcoat but Polycoat works OK if you want to save a little money.

* This post was edited 07/31/06 11:31am by an administrator/moderator *

JD & Kathy
Pomeranian named Mac
2005 Winnebago
Sightseer 29R on a 2006 Ford Chassis
FeatherLite 3110 17.5' Car Hauler

Print  |  Close