RV.Net Open Roads Forum: GBM Owners Thread - Tips/Mods/Suggestions! (All Welcome!)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> GBM Owners Thread - Tips/Mods/Suggestions! (All Welcome!)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Next
Sponsored By:
NAUTIQUE

SOUTHEASTERN MA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/06 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought that I'd get an owner's thread started here, because I know that I can use all the help/tips/suggestions I can get!
After two season's, it looks like we're making the jump from our 94 Class "C" to a Class "A"
We're going to be picking up this rig:
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 2905 30'
Ford Chassis w/ the 6.8L V10 w/ just over 16,000 miles.
All looks to be in excellent condition & working order.
We'll be making about a 1000 mile trip to bring it home to Ma.
We're very excited & nervous.
(Actually I'm looking forward to starting over again with making all the little Mods & upgrades to personalize it )
We'll see how it rides (it already has a steering stabilizer added), but I'm assuming my first step next year will be a set of new tires & Bilsteins.
Any and all comments from this great forum will be greatly appreciated!

* This post was edited 10/16/06 08:15am by NAUTIQUE *

Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU on 1999 F53 chassis
Sumitomo ST718's,Bilstein's,Steer-Safe,UltraTrac
& Aventa II pulling a 97TJ
- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
The Crew: Lovely Wife,2 Daughters & Springer Spaniel!
LIFE IS GOOD!

chasfm11

Dallas/Ft Worth Areas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/06 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whether there ends up being a GBM forum or not, you should be able to get information about your Georgie Boy. Although you and I don't share the same chassis (ours is a Freightliner XCS), much of the rest of the construcution techniques that GBM uses may be consistent across the product line.

You might consider putting Georgie Boy in the post headings. Several of us watch for and respond to Georgie Boy topics.

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36'DP Cummins 5.9, Allison 1000 5sp
2005 Saturn Vue Toad, Falcon2 Towbar, BrakeMaster Toad Brake

Zman300

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/06 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congratulations on your new Moho.
I have a 94 GBM Swinger 30ft on the Ford chassis. The Swinger is now called the Landau.
Had it 3 years so far so good though haven't had time to use as much as would like.
A rear track bar is supposed to make a huge difference in handling, so that is my next project. Hope to get it done this weekend.

1994 Georgie Boy Swinger 30ft.
Ford 460

Catdave

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/06 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I recall there were some issues with the 2000 model V10's spitting out spark plugs and messing up the cylinder heads. I'd suggest you do a search and read up on it.

A rear trac bar will definitely help handling, especially when passing big trucks.

Enjoy the new rig.

2006 Fleetwood Excursion 39L

2SAM

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/06 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your private message.....

bigdog2

Harrison,Arkansas ( San Felipe, Baja Ca. Mex.)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/06 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Catdave, didn't you mean to say "when being passed by big trucks"?

We finally sold the 97 GBM Maverick last Monday and yesterday put a deposit on a new Pursuit 3500DS. I just hope the new one does as well as the 97. We spend winters in Mexico and decided we need more room otherwise I'd have kept the old one till the wheels fell off.

I, too have heard of some of the v10 engines spitting spark plugs. Ours had 53,500 miles on it when we sold it and I never had the plugs out and never had a problem. I think part of the problem is over tightening the plugs when replacing.

We like the Georgie Boy products and in our price range I think they are a good buy.

LOW net worth.........HIGH quality of life
Dudley is at the rainbow bridge
Sonney,old ,retired Roadway driver.
Donna, too young to retire, she quit.

2006 GBM Pursuit 3500 DS
2004 Tracker toad- toad's toad VW powered buggy

Mr. & Mrs. Snow

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/06 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently picked up our first Class A, a '99 Georgie Boy Cruise Master. I've already learned so much from this forum - it's priceless.

We take our first trip at the end of themonth and can't wait. Sorry I have no tips or suggestions for you but I wanted to say hello to other GBM owners.

Mike

Mike, Melanie & our two little angels

2000 Allegro Bay

HIGH ROLLER

NEVADA / N 39x10.357 / W 119x47.204

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/06 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchased an 04 GB Cruise Air XL, 38' DP, which had been used by the owner of a local RV dealership, in August 2005. The unit had 2,700 miles at time of purchase / Freightliner chassis / Cat C7 engine / Allison 6 speed / full body paint.

In the past 12 months we have put 15,430 miles on the moho & plan to return to the road on 1 November '06. The only "upgrade" made to date is a full width mud flap. No other mods planned at this time. No problems with anything (KNOCK ON WOOD) to date.

The interior cabinetry & overall workmanship is in the good to excellent category.

Based on my limited experience with Georgie Boy brand, I believe you will have good service from your new unit. Use it often & enjoy.

azrabbit

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/06 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are relatively new owners of a Georgie Boy Pursuit - 30 ft. We took it on our first shake down cruise and I was really happy with the way it handled. I didn't feel a need for the track bar, but have been discussing it with my son (the mechanic in the family). I think I will wait on that add on until I have had more experience with it and with towing our Samurai Tin Top. We are heading to Chama, New Mexico in few weeks and looking forward to the trip. I plan on adding a fold down counter top extension as our little L-shape galley doesn't have any space to speak of. Lots of interior storage which is great. The bays underneath are good, but I was disappointed that I couldn't fit my DH's small mobility scooter underneath. I have to store the seat underneath and then remove the battery so I can lift it and store the scooter under the dinette.

I don't like how the waste drains are so close to the bottom of the unit. It doesn't work with one of the see through connectors and the one way valve to flush out the black tank. When I rotate the connector, the hose valve prevents me from turning it completely to lock on. SO, looking for an alternative solution to that problem.

Doesn't have a back up camera, YET - adding that on next week. Also, the TV shelf in the "bedroom" doesn't fold up and is really nasty if you hit your head. We are removing that and putting in a flat screen eventually.

Other than the above - we are pretty pleased. This is our first Class A - we were former sailors (38 foot Catalina) and have a Lance 1181 Camper and Dodge truck we are getting rid of. Made the change due to husband's stroke and we had to find something he could get in and out of and that I could handle.

Good luck and safe travels!

Denny & Ellen
Kelly & Kojo - the weimaraner wonders
2001 Georgie Boy Pursuit, 87 Suzuki Samurai Tin Top
2008 Escape Hybrid (looking for baseplate!)

DaveMac

Citrus Heights, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/06 11:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NAUTIQUE - My '99 Landau is a 33 ftr. and on the road fully loaded with full gas tank and about 20 gal. of H2O it weighs 16,500, including two passengers. I replaced my shocks with Monroe Gas Magnums -- same good ride as OEM shocks. I think you would find that Bilsteins are too stiff for that light weight rig.
If you have Goodyears on the Landau and they show no signs of cracks or other damage you ought to be able to run them for another two or three years. I made the mistake of replacing my GY 195s at 7 years and 35,000 miles. Lots of tread left and no cracks or blemishes inside and out! I'm now running GY 670s.
Just ignore that talk about the V-10 spitting spark plugs -- it's a darn good engine.
By the way, you should get the rig weighed and determine if you have the 18,000 or 15,700 GVWR chassis.
I made a lot of mods to my rig -- PM me if you want some ideas.

2007 FIESTA LX
TRITON V-10 & JEEP LIBERTY TOAD
3 TIMES RETIRED
CH. 13 "BLACKJACK"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> GBM Owners Thread - Tips/Mods/Suggestions! (All Welcome!)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS