|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Two 12V in parallel vs. two 6V in series

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
Sponsored By:
bamaram2002

Central Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plan on doing a fair amount of dry camping this fall, including Bristol and Talladega races. Right now, I only have a single 12V battery in the HTT and want to increase the length of time I can get out of my battery power. I have a second 12V deep-cycle battery sitting here.

Which leads me to the question.... I've seen where people replace a single 12V with two 6V in series to increase the amps. How much more advantageous is that than if I put two 12V in parallel?

Mike, Michele, Hannah (13) and Elijah (10)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab
2003 KZ Coyote 23CT
Family Travel Photo Album

DSR

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, Hopefully your two batteries are about the same age.

We had two group 24 12-volt batteries and later switched to two 6-volt golf cart type batteries. The two 6-volt batteries go MUCH longer between charges than the 12 volt batteries did.

2500HD D/A CC 4X4
FR TT

Jim M.

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is not much advantage to two 6-volts in series over two 12-volts in parallel. The main advantage is cost, due to the cost competitiveness of 6-volt golf cart batteries. Golf cart batteries are "true deep cycle" batteries with thick lead plates that are more tolerant of deep discharge and they provide up to 500 recharge cycles. If you already have another 12-volt battery, I would use it. If the batteries are different ages, it is advisable to use them one at a time and keep one terminal the unused battery disconnected. This will help keep the weaker battery from discharging the stronger battery.

2000 Jayco Eagle 314BHS TT
1999 Chevy K3500, 4X4, Crew-cab, Dually, 7.4L (454 cu.in.)
Yamaha EF2800i Generator
WAR EAGLE!!

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a subject that draws a lot of debate on here.

Its impossible to answer your question, the way you asked it. There are all different sizes/types of 12 volt batteries, depending on what kind you have, they may or may not have more staying power than a good pair of 6 volt batteries in series.

Generally speaking, though, you do typically get better 'bang for your buck' ($$ per amp-hour), with a pair of 6 volters in series. That, and with 6 volt batteries, you are more assured of getting TRUE deep-cycle batteries, intended for what you're using them for. That may or may not be the case, when you buy 12 volt batteries.

I would higly recommend a pair of 6 volters in series. Get you a pair of them from Sam's for $50 each, or if you really want the best, get you a pair of Trojan golf cart 6 volt batteries, for 'bout $70 each. That'll keep you going for several days, as long as you're careful.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

relliott

Oxnard, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 12:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way to get more battery use is to increase amp-hour capacity. Whether you use two 12 volt or two 6 volt batteries, you need to look at the total amp hours available. ALthough I prefer the design of the 6 volts golf cart batteries, it's possible that you could find two 12 batteries with more amp hour capacity.

EMCM(SS) Retired US Navy

1997 Fleetwood Flair Class A Motorhome. Model 31Q

2003 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins Diesel, Auto Trans, Quad Cab, Laramie Package

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/15/06 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have two 12v use them. Worry about 6 vs 12 when you replace both. Besides I thought everyone ran generators 24/7 at the races. For a few beers you could probably plug into your neighbors gen for charging batteries.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

2oldman

Biloxi

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4 pages of discussion:12v vs 6v batteries

Houndog101

Fallston Md.

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

If you have two 12v use them. Worry about 6 vs 12 when you replace both. Besides I thought everyone ran generators 24/7 at the races. For a few beers you could probably plug into your neighbors gen for charging batteries.

This is the way to go, being as you already have the 2 batterys,,how do you charge them, and as stated the weaker one will pull down the stronger...have fun,, wish I could go,, love Nascar...

98 Pace Arrow Vision,F53, 37', 2 slides, Gibson, TransCommand

Breed, raise, show Bloodhounds

bamaram2002

Central Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 02:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everybody. Based on several responses, I'll go with the two 12V for now since its what I have on hand. Then when its time to replace them I'll switch to 6V.

As for generators, I was hoping to get by without one if possible - all I have is a big, heavy, NOISY Coleman powermate and didn't want to have to lug it along, much less listen to it (not that there won't be enough of them nearby).

RJgonfshin

Winston Or, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/06 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But even 8 pages of discussion is not going to change the fact that for a given physical size/weight of battery, there is not a dimes worth of difference between 6v or 12v when it comes to amp hour capacity. Now if you're talking value for the buck, it has been reported many times that the 6'ers have better longivity than the 12's, especially when abused.

Rich

' 98 Flair, 454, Onan Microlite 4k, Intel PD 9155 w/ wizard, Sta-power 1500 watt Inv, 2 6v batts, ammeters, Oly Catalytic Heat, hauling 2 Bent Bikes and sometimes towing a Tracker F&S boat.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Two 12V in parallel vs. two 6V in series
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS