RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Will extreme cold damage an LCD TV?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Will extreme cold damage an LCD TV?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sansouci2

MN or wherever the MH is right now

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/06 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're going to retire in April, and be fulltimers(almost--we're going to keep the house for at least a year). We want to get some preparation done now--less work in the spring, so we're thinking of installing LCD TVs in the MH now, rather than later. It will involve some cabinetry work. Someone told us that exposing them to extreme cold can be detrimental. If we install them now, they will be exposed to 20 below zero, farenheit, for prolonged periods. Can any of you verify or debunk this? TV's (and everything else) get hauled and delivered in this climate, but I suppose a week or so might not be as bad as all winter.

Thanks, in advance, for your advice

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/06 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dont realy know for sure one way or the other but they have used lcd screens of differant sizes in cars and trucks now for differant things for quite a while but warming them up first would be a good idea befor useing them .

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

DrScud

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/06 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most if not all electronic equipment has specifications for their operating environment. Find the TV you want and read the specifications. That is the only way to be sure.

Jim & Sim - Fulltiming. - - Follow our adventures at: JimandSim.com
98 Foretravel U320 40', Cummins 450 HP/1450 lb-ft, HD4060 Allison, w/rtrder
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo / M & G Braking / Demco Excali-Bar
Current location

OldSoldiers

Sierra Vista,AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/06 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. Check your manual, it will list the safe temp operating ranges high and low. I have a great deal of experience with LCD displays while in the Army and we go to expensive lengths to protect our displays for SEVERE temps.

I recommend that if you are not going to plug you rig in during the winter and expect the temps you describe, remove the unit and store it inside.

Good luck,

Wife and I are both retired Army. Wife with 20 years and I with 33 years active federal service.

Tow Vehicle: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 rear axle and all the bells and whistles.

5'er: 2006 Jayco Jay Flight 245RBS

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/06 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine only listed an "operating" range of temps, not a storage range. It might not operate in extreme cold, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be damaged.

Flourescent bulbs are the same way. You can't get them to start in very cold temps, but once the temp increases, they'll operate fine.

Not saying that LCDs can't be damaged by cold, just the specification I had with mine is an OPERATING temperature range.

When in doubt, either contact the manufacturer, or pull it.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2007 Rockwood TT 2502
Equalizer Hitch
2010 Ford F-150 FX4 -w- Max Tow Package
Yamaha EF2400iS
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

Ron-W3FJW

Tacoma WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/06 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plasma TVs are the ones to worry about. Never, let them get that cold. I would guess that LCDs wouldn't be hurt stored at that temp. To be safest pull them for the winter. They're not that heavy. But I don't think I'd store my RV in that kind of temp without heat of some sort, but that's just me....

PS: But then, I would never live where it got that cold. I'm a sunlover, even in the winter.
Come to think of it, the best advice I could give would be move South

DFS

Southern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/06 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once had a wrist watch that had a Liquid Crystal display. When traveling into VERY COLD area I misplaced the watch in the van. When the watch was found several days later after being exposed to temperatures of minus 30 degrees F, The display was completely blank. It had apparently frozen, because after laying on the counter in the kitchen over-night, the next morning the display was normal and the time was even correct. This may or may-not be similar in the case of a Liquid Crystal Display Television. But an interesting possible correlation.

Bob/CA

Sonora, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/06 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had read somewhere about a guy that put in 2 plasma TV's in his motorhome. Then had a freeze and lost them both.

1992 American Eagle, Cummins C8.3 300 HP

Toads: Jeep Scrambler(trailer queen), Jeep Cherokee, Dodge Durango. Just depends.

sansouci2

MN or wherever the MH is right now

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/06 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron-W3FJW wrote:

Plasma TVs are the ones to worry about. Never, let them get that cold. I would guess that LCDs wouldn't be hurt stored at that temp. To be safest pull them for the winter. They're not that heavy. But I don't think I'd store my RV in that kind of temp without heat of some sort, but that's just me....

PS: But then, I would never live where it got that cold. I'm a sunlover, even in the winter.
Come to think of it, the best advice I could give would be move South

Thanks Ron. After we retire in April, we don't plan to EVER spend another winter in Minnesota.

garbenn

Westren NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/06 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not have to worry about LED TV's in the fridget weather except that they must warm up to get their full brightness back. We leave ours in the 5th wheel all year and I can tell you that it gets pretty cold here in the winter. All the GPS units in cars and trucks are LED displays and they all sit out in the cold all winter. Liquid Crystal display's (LCD"s)are a different matter, they can freeze and be damaged.

* This post was edited 10/27/06 09:20pm by garbenn *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Will extreme cold damage an LCD TV?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS