RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dometic Refer Recall - Possible Fire Hazard -Update 2/13/07

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic Refer Recall - Possible Fire Hazard -Update 2/13/07

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 86  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Phils

Cherokee, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/09 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jbman wrote:

Well my Dometic Refrigerator went out. Going to let Camping World put a new one in. Am wondering if the new units will work longer than the last or should i expect 3 yrs of service than a leak all over? Also i want to make sure i get a unit thats new and not one thats been sitting around along time. Guess it probally won't matter, what do you guys think?

Have you thought about having a Norcold installed instead? Different brand, different set of irritating problems (hinges breaking IIRC).

I've had both and would prefer the Norcold.

Phil

'03 F250 7.3 deezle and '01 Komfort 27FS
Off the grid and outta sight at home
Go camping to have neighbors and amenities

jbman

New Boston,Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/09 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't it 6 in one hand a half dozen in the other? sure wished we had a better choice. Did call Camping World told them I wouldn't accept a 08 had to be a 09 model.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/09 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I liked the way that Norcold handled the recall.

Dusty

Elk A Holic

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/09 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently became aware of this potential problem in a 2001 trailer that I just purchased. Upon investigation I discovered my fridge was one of the affected units. I had the recall changes made but the RV shop was VERY vague on what they had done. After reading this Dometic Recall information, it seems that the higher wattage heating element is the cause of the rapid fatigue of the boiler tube which then leaks ammonia and results in the fridge being rendered inoperative. I understand that the addition of a secondary burner shield will help to prevent a fire, but would it not also contribute to an even higher heat and thereby more rapid fatigue of the boiler tube and consequently leakage of ammonia ?

jbman

New Boston,Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/09 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the weld held, we wouldn't be having these problems. Dometic knows it, the Government knows it. No such thing as consumer protection in this country anymore.

cvrvr

La Crescenta, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/09 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fix that Dometic is using is at best a bandaid fix.

There is only one way to really fix Dometic (and Norcold) problem is to replace the cooling unit with a remanufactured unit made by rvcoolingunit.com or someone simalar.

If you replace the entire refrigerator with a new Dometic or Norcold you can still have the same problem. If the rest of the refrigerator is in good shape, just replace the cooling unit.

George

George & Karen W
2004 Allegro 30DA
2000 Jimmy toad
FMCA F334632

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/09 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cvrvr wrote:

The fix that Dometic is using is at best a bandaid fix.

There is only one way to really fix Dometic (and Norcold) problem is to replace the cooling unit with a remanufactured unit made by rvcoolingunit.com or someone simalar.

If you replace the entire refrigerator with a new Dometic or Norcold you can still have the same problem. If the rest of the refrigerator is in good shape, just replace the cooling unit.

George

If I remember right Norcold did fix, repair, or replace the cooling unit or the refrigerator.

Dometic did the band-aid thing, just prevented it from catching fire if/when it leaked. Maybe they figured that the percent that might catch fire was small enough not to do the job right.

Dusty

outlaws

Charlotte, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/09 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what brand but I saw a motor coach toasted the other day. The owner of the shop it was at had video surveillance and it showed the refer throwing sparks before the fire. They also checked and the fix had been done on this unit. It was in the records of the local RV store.

Kennedy92

NH

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/10 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Serial# and Model# match the recall on my 06 Springdale. I just got off the phone with my original dealer and they simply said "bring it in next week and they will take care of everything." No expense out of pocket and they'll handle all the paper work.

It's basically a shield they install to help prevent your camper from burning up... but if the cracks should happen then it's not covered to replace the the broken parts, you're on your own with that and Dometic is not covering it.

Usually a recall means "replacing the broken issue" not placing a band-aid on it and sending you on your merry way.

At least my family will not burn up.

bakstrap

Cincinnati Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/11 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping today and my frigde quit working, and I did get a recall notice,

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 86  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic Refer Recall - Possible Fire Hazard -Update 2/13/07
Search:   Advanced Search