|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Jeep Grand Cherokee

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Chuck Garvey

Covington, Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/06 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are considering this vehicle as a toad. We have heard that reliability of Jeep is not great. Any comments about reliability of late model Jeep Grand Cherokee appreciated.

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours has 153,400 miles. Bought it with 126,000 on it. Problems so far, water pump, front turn signal bulb and now the blower motor doesn't work. Other than that and the 14.6 mpg overall average since new (according to the computer) it's been great. I did go through and change all the oils/filters/hoses and redid the brakes when I got it. Just put another set of tires on and ready for another 50,000 miles. An ex-friend had one that went over 203,000 miles still on the original engine/trans.

Dekker

DesMoines Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hmmmmmm who told you that I got a 1993 jeep grand cherokee and pushing 190,000 and all its cost me is tires and one fuel pump oh put on a steering stabilizer. best investment I ever made still uses no oil on 3500 oil cahnges and starts right up in 20- weather. v-8 all wheel drive goes where it is toed to go. Dekker the saying its a jeep didnt just happen. Go on line and look for a camp jeep ralley and see what they all say about jeeps.

Me & She

Wasilla, Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/06 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 94 has 160,000 miles and we have only had regular service and brake work. The Cherokee we had before that was traded in with 110,000 and we replace the clutch plate once. I have had 3 others prior to those and thought they were as good as or better than competition. Used them in our forestry business.

Charter member: Alaskan's for Global Warming

ploiselle

South Shore, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/06 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had two. The first 2002 and the second a 2005. The 2002 weighed about 4,300 lbs and the 2005 about 4,600 lbs. Both were/are limited versions with almost all options. Be careful some of the late models I don't believe are towable. Look in the owners manuals under recreational towing. They changed the transmission in some models.

The 2002 was destroyed in an accident. The vehicle collapsed like it was supposed to do and my wife did not get hurt when broadsided by a car traveling at a high rate of speed. The only problem with it was a was a internal heater door. I understand it was a common problem with that year. Other than the built-in Sirius radio being junk in the 2005, we have had no problems with almost 30 thousand.

They tow heavy make sure that you use an auxiliary braking system.

I hope this helps.
Paul

41' MountainAire (MADP) -Spartan- Cummins 350 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Brake Buddy - CoachNet

cindik

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/06 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dont't know where you got the unreliable part. Our son's Jeep Grand Cherokee-1994 model has over 200,000 miles. It is still going strong. Always starts, and has had 0 serious repairs. Hubby drove it as a daily driver to work 60 miles a day before giving it to son. Great vehicle, and would not hesitate to buy another. We are hoping this one gets him through college.

IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR SOLDIERS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
THE ONLY THING HARDER THAN BEING A SOLDIER, IS LOVING ONE

Our Photos

Jeffe

Shady Shores, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/06 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just purchased my 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited with a Hemi and Quadra Drive II.

I hadn't looked at Jeep products for twenty years. The fit and finish of this Jeep, the 4WD system and the build quality is every bit as good as the Silverado's and Ford 250's that I have recently owned.

The Jeep hooks up easily and tows great.

I am convinced that this Jeep will go places that my 4WD trucks would not have gone. With locking differentials front and back, traction and skid control this thing is real 4WD.

2002 Winnebago Journey DL - 39QD
330 Cat with 6 Speed Allison
Toad: 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi

ky-auctioneer

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/06 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 Jeeps in our family - DW's '04 Grand Cherokee has about 40,000 miles. Only time in the shop has been for routine service. Same for my mother's '04. My father's 1990 Cherokee has just over 100,000 miles plus about 70,000 towed miles with the same reliability.

Venomized

Valpo, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/06 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jeep reliability depends on how well it gets maintained. EDIT: Wow was this a long post. Sorry for the long post, just trying to help.

Jeep recommends the following get changed at 30K intervals, but waiting to 40-50K should be ok:
spark plugs
diff fluid
transfer case fluid
trans fluid

Oil changes are 3K or 7.5K depending on service schedule. You must also grease all greasable steering components during an oil change as well. Coolant needs changed out at 2 years or 24K. 3/36 should be okay to follow

Some of the problem areas for Jeeps

1993 - 1998 (ZJ)
1. Quadra trac transfer case (NP249) has a viscous coupling in it that wears out. Depending on the offroad abuse it gets don't expect it to last to 100K
2. The 5.2L V8 is a great motor but might develop a plenum gasket leak which will cause the engine to burn oil
3. The 4.0L I-6 exhaust header might crack as well
4. E-brake linings are very thin and are really just hill holders. The tri-cable system can freeze up from lack of use. Very easy to work on though.
5. Around 1997 they switched to the D44 aluminum housing rear differential. Some were not built correctly and had bearing failure issues.

1999-2004 (WJ)

Jeeps claim was a complete new redesign. There were only 127 carry over parts and most of those were nuts and bolts. The early 1999 models were plagued with problems and should be avoided. March/April 1999 build date seems to be the accepted date that most things were cirrect coming from the factory. By now all the bugs should have been fixed so buying an early 99 GC should be a safe buy.

Problems for the WJ
1. Quadra-trac was replaced by quadra-drive, YEAH!!!!! The only problem here is the dealer is the only seller of the precious NP-247 only transfer case fluid. This is the ONLY fluid to be used in the 247 case.
2. 1999-2002 are plagued with bad front brakes. Mid 2002 they came out with a new caliper that curred most problems. This caliper is available for the 1999-2002 models as a replacement. A TSB was issued but not a recall.
3. The V8 still gets the D44 aluminum rear diff. This is the same diff as the Viper and the Vette so it should be pretty stout. On the road it is great, off road it sucks.
4. 2003 they started selling an optional single speed transfer case the NP-147. This case is still available on the 2006 model and it is not flat towable. All other 4WD transfer cases are flat towable.

2005-Present (WK)
Biggest change with the WK is independant front suspension. The off road community needed a pacemaker for this. Let's face it the Grand Cherokee is really a 4WD station wagon and needs better handling to stay marketable. The venerable 4.0L I6 is no longer available, it was replaced by the Libby's 3.7L V6. Great motor but underpowered in the nearly 5,000# WK. New to the line up is the 5.7L Hemi. Tremendous power but lousy fuel economy. It came out just in time for the $3.00+ per gallon of gas crisis.

Problems
1. The V6 is underpowered
2. 2005 model Hemi had problems with shuddering while driving down the road. It was a hit or miss if the engine shutters.

Sorry I don't know much on the WK as it is a fairly new vehicle to me.
Usefull Jeep websites:
www.wjjeeps.com 1999 - 2004 model year
www.wkjeeps.com 2005 - present model year

-------------

I am currently on my 3rd Grand Cherokee
Had a 1997 that I loved until the ABS and Air Bag systems started acting up. ABS was fixed under warranty, but the warranty did not cover the Air Bag system.

Sold that 1 and replaced it with a 2001 Grand Cherokee. Minor problems under warranty. Out of warranty problems have been a new water pump and a rebuilt rear axle. With my mileage, I am not complaining about either of these. Nothing last forever. Still have the 01 WJ.

I also had a 1998 Grand Cherokee. Great vehicle, I had it from 78K to 133K. I replaced the driver side ball joints, front sway bar end links, radiator, rebuilt the rear diff and had to replace the passenger side axle shaft, front axle passenger side 1/2 shaft. It needed the passenger side ball joints and the dreaded $1200 viscous coupling. The coupling was bad and was wearing out the front end drive-line.

Replaced that Jeep with an 06 Vue. So far I REALLY like only having to replace the oil in it. I would have bought another Jeep but the desire to try a GM product and better fuel economy won out.

Will I ever buy a 4th Grand Cherokee? Heck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love them, I am addicted to them

2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE 28 foot
2001 Grand Cherokee, 4WD station wagon
2006 Saturn Vue, AWD V6

"For those who fight for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know." --Unknown defender of Khe Sanh in Vietnam

grizzlygiant

Coeur d'Alene, North Idaho, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/06 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are on our 4th Jeep, the latest is a 2001 Grand Cherokee and has 96,000 trouble-free miles. I would buy another when the time comes but would opt-out of the security system if possible.

North Idaho
2008 Heartland Big Horn 3400RL fifth wheel
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 Cummins

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Jeep Grand Cherokee
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts