RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Surveying ST225/75R15 LRD/LRE tires, the best of all evils

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Surveying ST225/75R15 LRD/LRE tires, the best of all evils

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
BigToe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/06 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ST225/75R15 LRD trailer tires... after searching and wading through numerous threads about these commonplace tires, the most commonly given advice for this commonly failing tire is to replace them with 16" wheels and tires of the LT variety. (See related thread on this page entitled "LT tires" for a discussion of the popular XPS Rib).

Well, in the cases where clearance, mechanical, height, COG, cost, and fitment concerns prohibit or highly discourage such a drastic change of wheels, drums, and tire sizes... what options are left?

This is a survey to choose the better of or the best of all evils... discovering which of the current ST225/75R15D trailer tires available on the market today offer the most reliable chance of succeeding on road, assuming that the trailer will be pulled at speeds not exceeding 65 mph (plenty fast enough for me, I usually tow at 55 mph).

Here are the usual suspects I've located so far. Notice that all the ST trailer tires listed are RADIALS, and are at minimum Load Range D, with a surprising number (at least 8) of Load Range E ratings* available in this size:

- Goodyear Marathon Load Range D (with "Circled S" casing update)

- Cooper Custom Trailer Plus (discontinued forever, stock onhand only)

- Carlisle Radial Trail Load Range D

- Carlisle Radial Trail Load Range E*

- Titan Load Range E* (owned and produced by Carlisle)

- TBC Towmax Radial LRD (another Private Brand produced by Carlisle)

- Duro DS-2100 Radial LRD

- Denman Tire DRT-58R LRD (Denman imports skidsteer tires for Bobcats)

- Denman Tire DRT-59R LRE* (Info on Asian producer still sought)

- Maxxis M8008 Radial LRD (Maxxis imports motorcycle dirtbike tires)

- Maxxis M8008 Radial LRE* (Maxxis tires made by Chen Shin in Asia)

- Greenball Towmaster LRD (See "About Greenball" below)

- Greenball Towmaster LRE*

- Greenball Towmaster II LRD

- Greenball Towmaster II LRE*

- Greenball Towmaster V LRD

- Greenball Towmaster V LRE*

- Greenball Transmaster 4t LRD

- Greenball Transmaster 4t LRE*

- Kenda Loadstar LRD

- NamKang LRD

Are there any other ST225/75R15 LRD or LRE tires available on the market today that are missing from this list?

If you were unable to change wheels on your trailer, which tires in this size would you be inclined to choose, and why?

While it is often said that 16" wheels and certain LT type tires are worth the price and peice of mind that they offer, that horse need not be beaten again in this thread. For this thread to be of enduring benefit, it would be more helpful to focus in on which ST225/75R15 LRD/LRE tires have a higher probability of reliability... ie, the best of all evils.

Looking forward to your input!

About Greenball:

Greenball is an importer based in California, but all of their tires are made in Asia, mostly Taiwan. They started importing things like wheelbarrow and garden cart tires, and have expanded over the last decade to include not only trailer tires, but trailer wheels as well.

The fact that there are 4 different brands of Greenball trailer tires on the list represents the various Asian factories that these tires are imported from. Counterintuitively, the "Towmaster" tires are actually superior (according to the representative at Greenball's headquarters that I spoke with) to the "Towmaster II" and "Towmaster V" tires. Therefore, if considering Greenball imports, I'd recommend only considering the Towmaster (without any numbered variants). I listed the other versions so that this distinction would be made clear, and so that readers wouldn't get misled in believing that versions "II" or "V" represented some type of update or improvement. It's just a different factory with a different mold, and a lower price.

The fact that I've commented more on Greenball than any of the other tire manufacturers or importers I listed above should not be construed as a recommendation or an affiliation of any kind. It just so happened that the manufacturer of one of our trailers recommended that I call Greenball as a resource for my questions, and I happened to reach the right person there who was well informed, and I'm simply passing along that (non-proprietary) information.

Important Note:

* Many OEM steel trailer wheels, both modular and spoke styles, that are issued by the trailer manufacture as original equipment are rated for a maximum of 2,600 pounds weight and 65-70 pounds pressure. Unfortunately, for a Load Range E trailer tire to offer the increased margin of carrying capacity of 2,830 lbs, it must be inflated to 80 psi. Therefore the original wheel ratings can very likely be inadequate on two counts, weight and pressure, to make any real use of the extra margin afforded by Load Range E tires. By comparsion, Load Range D tires are rated at 2,540 pounds at 65 psi, falling within the specs of the wheel rating.

Edited to add another tire brand to the list.

* This post was last edited 12/21/06 05:55pm by BigToe *   View edit history

kayak2

Hackettstown,NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/06 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I removed all four ST 205/75R15 tires after blowing one that caused some damage to my fiver. The originals were load range C(50psi)and the Titans(ST225/75R15 I bought were load range E. I've now run the Titans at 75psi for 3 years with no problems.
F350 ps lb 4x4 sc and the Golden Falcon fiver

Jan

BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/06 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahhhh, a timely post. My TT will be 6 yrs old in May, and although the tires show no signs of cracking or deterioration, I am thinking about replacing them anyway, since I am a BIG fan of fixing things before they break. I have the same size, ST225/75-15R load range D in the Goodyear Marathon brand (with the "circle s").

I also considered getting new wheels, initially not because of weight ratings, but because a) the white spoke ones are getting rusty and need to be repainted, b) Alloy wheels would stand up to the corrosive salt air at the beach better, and c) would save having to hassle with mount/balance.

I started looking at tire/wheel packages online, and all seem to come with Asian tires, and my preference if staying with an ST tire would be to stay with the Goodyears based on 5+ yrs of trouble-free service on the current set. Although, the price of the Goodyears probably means I'll be re-painting my white wheels....

From what I've seen looking at trailers, it seems to me that most of these tire problems are due to overloading. Not intentional overloading by the owner, but the trailer manufacturer not spec'ing a tire that's rated high enough.

As an example, my tires are D rated, so have a capacity of 2540 lbs. 2540x4=10160, or more than my 10000 GVWR without counting the 1200 lbs that the truck carries via the tongue, so there is a good safety margin there. But I've also seen similar trailers from other manufacturers that have load range C tires rated at 2150 lbs each. 2150x4=8600, and with a 10000 GVWR that means that 1400 lbs MUST go on the tongue to avoid overloading the tires.

Right now, I am inclined to replace my tires with the Goodyear Marathon D's again. I've gotten good service from them, and really don't trust Chinese rubber products at this point. Re-thinking the alloy wheels on the trailer due to cost, mainly.

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

BigToe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/06 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Burbman, thanks for weighing in on this topic... and I think you might be in for a bit of surprise.

First off, we have much in common. I also am replacing Goodyear Marathon D's that are Made in USA with plenty of tread left, due to age only. Mine are about 6 years old, just like yours.

But a lot has happened in those six years. First, Goodyear moved production of the Marathons from USA to Canada. Then, Goodyear moved production of the Marathons from Canada to China. See the following links for posts of trailer owners reporting where their particular set of Marathons were produced:

www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?p=198944

www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsptireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Marathon+Radial

www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/archive/index.php/t-3605.html

www.americansandassociation.org/phpBB2/v........251&sid=f1eba2e910705248ee82b0a0b00c7d78

www.sunnybrooktalk.com/members/exterior-........24-who-makes-quality-225-75-15-tire.html

www.ford-trucks.com/forums/537327-american-tires.html

www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2054

Read a bit of the above links, and let us know what you think?

In the meantime, country or continent of manufacture is probably no longer a decision making factor for trailer tires in this size and load range.

So we must turn to user experiences.

BurbMan wrote:

"...looking at tire/wheel packages, and all seem to come with Asian tires, and my preference if staying with an ST tire would be to stay with the Goodyears based on 5+ yrs of trouble-free service on the current set. Right now, I am inclined to replace my tires with the Goodyear Marathon D's again. I've gotten good service from them, and really don't trust Chinese rubber products at this point."

* This post was edited 12/18/06 10:48am by BigToe *

BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/06 04:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Toe, good point on the "country of origin" issue. Let's say for purposes of this discussion that country of manufacture in and of itself has no bearing on quality, just the mfg techniques and raw materials used by the mfr. That puts the USA vs. Chinese issue aside for purposes of this discussion.

I did read the threads that you referenced in your post, and I guess I am not seeing any brand of ST being more reliable than another. No matter what brand you read about, ther will be one guy who has years or trouble-free service and one guy who has had nothing but trouble. The only theme that I see emerge from these threads for consistently trouble-free towing is going to an LT-tire, which is not up for discussion here.

Surely all of these brands can't be junk?? I'll go back to my original statement that the guys seeing repeated blowouts on their trailers have overloaded tires, and that the blowouts are not brand-dependent. I saw several posters with Load range C tires, and one guy who advised folks "get your trailer weighed, you'll be surprised at the weight".

I suspect that the guys who went to LT tires would probably reached a similar resolution by going from load range C to D in an ST tire.

Having said all that, I think I would still be more comfortable with a Goodyear tire, regardless of where it is manufactured, mainly due to the brand and reputation of the company. But that's only my personal opinion, and that still leaves us with the question of how you effectively pick the highest quality ST tire for your trailer out of the available choices....

DmaxWW

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/06 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy's If you got your info about the Cooper tires from the web, you are mistaken. They are still making them, no problem. I put 6 of them on last year and so far love them. No problems and I pull a bunch more than 65 and carry 12,500 on the six tires. I still think Cooper makes a good tire.

KE5NCP
2011 Chevy CC dually D/A, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

BigToe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/06 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes Burbman, the search continues for the "least evil" ST225/75R15 LRD and/or LRE tire, for trailers where changing to 16" wheels is not an option. We need more comments from other users, because this is one of the most widespread trailer tire sizes, so surely we are not alone.

DmaxWW wrote:

"Guy's, If you got your info about the Cooper tires from the web, you are mistaken. They are still making them, no problem. I put 6 of them on last year."

Good point DmaxWW, about web information, but I got my info directly from the Cooper Tire manufacturer, in a phone call placed to their headquarters, discussing the lines that their recent internal streamlining and marketing reorganization jettisoned.

Cooper has dropped the trailer tire line. They have also sold their heavy truck tire molds/business to a foreign company (yes, Asian), and those heavy truck tires will no longer be marketed by Cooper, whose main focus will now only be passenger and light truck tires. The trailer tire mold will not be carried over, period. This is too bad, but there it is.

What you may have bought last year was nearly a year ago. I talked to Cooper last week.

Kodiak5er

Alex Bay NY Summer; Sanford FL Winter

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/06 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

I also considered getting new wheels, initially not because of weight ratings, but because a) the white spoke ones are getting rusty and need to be repainted,
Although, the price of the Goodyears probably means I'll be re-painting my white wheels....

BurbMan, I was going to get alloy wheels for the looks and also because my white spokes were getting rusty. After seeing how much the alloys cost, I decided to spend the extra money on better tires and had my original wheels powder coated @ $16 each. Powder coating is better than the original paint job and they look better than new.

1990 6500 Chevy Kodiak, 8.3L Cummins 450 HP
6sp Allison 3060, 3.70 R/A Home Made Air Ride
2006 Newmar Cypress
Picture of '93 Mountain Aire Story of it's death by fire and explosion

BigToe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/06 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With good quality spray cans costing $7.50 each plus tax, and good paint film coverage taking two cans, a primer and a top coat, one could barely paint the wheels in their backyard for $16. bucks. That is a good deal. How'd you negotiate that?

Not to get too off topic from the tires, but that was a notable bargain!

Kodiak5er

Alex Bay NY Summer; Sanford FL Winter

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/06 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigToe wrote:

With good quality spray cans costing $7.50 each plus tax, and good paint film coverage taking two cans, a primer and a top coat, one could barely paint the wheels in their backyard for $16. bucks. That is a good deal. How'd you negotiate that?

Not to get too off topic from the tires, but that was a notable bargain!

Also not to stray off topic but I guess wheels are necessary for tires to work.
I asked them how much and they originally said about $30 each so I figured that was OK.
They do mostly truck wheels and I think they assumed mine were bigger wheels. When I got the bill it was only $112 + tax. I found out later they charge by the inch - 16" wheels = $16 each.
They sandblasted every surface to bare metal and then powder coated each wheel all over.
Long Park Tire in Watertown, NY 315-782-6000

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Surveying ST225/75R15 LRD/LRE tires, the best of all evils
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS