RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Best Trailer Brake Controller?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Best Trailer Brake Controller?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
stracos

Fulltimer, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/06 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm new to the TT world and need to purchase a brake controller for my 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 (new body style).

Is there any consensus on who makes the best or most feature laden brake controller? Prices only seem to vary by about $200 so I'm not overly concerned with buying the cheapest one. Have said that I wouldn't pay an extra $100 for a wirless remote or purple case

We'll be full-timing and traveling nationally for some of 2007 so I'll need something that will hold up & supports the various kinds of situations I'm likely to encounter.

Joe

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/06 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of us prefer Prodigy I think.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/06 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best is Brake Smart but it is pricey.

Close second is the Jordan Ultima 2020 and

a distant 3rd is Prodigy.

Lots of people use the Prodigy due to marketing and availability.

I had a Prodigy and after the second trip it went in a garage sale ($20.00) and I got the JOrdan. Never regreted the change.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

stracos

Fulltimer, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/06 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is unique about the Brake Smart & Jordan?

What about the new one from Hensley?

thanks,
Joe

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/06 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with "TXiceman" and also "baldag". It is like asking which is better Ford? or Dodge? or Chevy?

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

stracos

Fulltimer, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/06 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the ads I've read, it seems there are unique features to various brake controllers. Surely somebody on here has a non-religious reason why some brake controllers are better than others. They can't all have the exact same exact feature set.

Joe

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/06 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are some posts by an expert on the different brake controllers available as he has used them all. Take a look at his posts and your questions will probably be answered. This post in particular speaks to your exact question.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

drfife

Dallas, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/06 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

Here are some posts by an expert on the different brake controllers available as he has used them all...

Barney, thanks for the kind words.

I'm sure many here on ORF would not agree with you that I'm an "expert" on brake controllers (or anything else). But I have to admit, I've used many different controllers.

Here's an overview of brake controllers in order of my preference:

BrakeSmart: Uses hydraulic sensor installed in the brake line near the master cylinder. BrakeSmart is the smoothest and most precise controller on the market, and one of the most expensive. $435

TruControl: Uses an advanced accelerometer with a sophisticated software. Very easy installation, plug and play. I installed one a couple of weeks ago. Initial impressions are excellent. I'll know more after I've towed a couple of thousand miles with it. $397

Jordan Ultima 2020: Utilizes a cable attached to the arm of the brake pedal to provide extremely smooth braking. The Jordan is the best value for performance and price. The company was recently purchased by Camco and will be available again in January 2007. $120

Sens-a-Brake: Uses a pressure sensitive pad attached to the face of the brake pedal to send a proportional signal to their EVO controller. Very smooth. Product of New Zealand. Cost approximately $250

Prodigy (and clones): Accelerometer based controller. Very popular. Easy to install. Not as smooth as the previous controllers, but acceptable. $100

Russell
'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Z71
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

JBarca

Dublin, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/06 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drfife wrote:

I'm sure many here on ORF would not agree with you that I'm an "expert" on brake controllers (or anything else). But I have to admit, I've used many different controllers.

Russell, Barney beat me to the punch on posting your links as I just saw your newest collective show up the other week. And I agree with him, you are the resident go to guy on brake controllers. So you have at least 2 of us that think of you as the "go to" tried that ORF consumers report artist on brake controllers.

In fact it was you who inspired me to get my Jordan. THANKS!!!

Happy Holidays...

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

justapasinthru

Medford, OR

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/06 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know I will be boo-ed....but I guess maybe I'm just not as particular as some...

"The trailer brakes will continue to ramp up in power until you take your foot off the brake pedal. There are two main problems with this controller. First, in a panic stop, you won't have 100% trailer brakes until the ramp reaches full power, which could be as long as 10 seconds after you apply the brakes. The second problem is that if you adjust the ramp to be steeper, so your brakes are safer in a panic stop, then it is impossible to brake smoothly under normal driving conditions, as the trailer brakes are always jerking you around. I personally feel ramp/timer controllers should be pulled from the market and/or made illegal. I have never met someone who had one and liked it once they figured out how it worked."....

I'm content with this one....I KNOW how it works,,,And I still am content with it....$58.95....

At least get one that you can manually activate....in case you want your trailer to stop FIRST.....the simpler the better and learn how to adjust it for conditions

why am I always having a different opinion than the crowd?...

BTW when was the last time you heard of an accident involving an RV becasue primarily of a trailer-brake controller failure?....if you want it..they will sell it to you....so YOU be convinced.

'06 3500CTD,QC,LWB,2WD,SRW-19.5's,6spd Manual,3.73
'06 Grand Junction 35tms,truecharge,wfco,agm gpl4c's,rotochox,tristar...
'94 E-150 Glaval Leisure Van, 351 windsor, E4OD, 2.73

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Best Trailer Brake Controller?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS