RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Replacement TV/Monitor for Safari backup camera.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Replacement TV/Monitor for Safari backup camera.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
RET12103

Wyoming, PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/07 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am trying to locate a replacement TV/Monitor for my 98 Safari DP. My dilemma is that none of the new TV's have a TV/VIDEO switch on the front that allows you to switch to the video mode for the rear camera. I've been looking for a flat screen CRT type but would prefer to upgrade to the new LCD style that will fit in the overhead cabinet. Has anyone done this in a Safari and if so how do you activate the Video mode for the rear camera ? Appreciate any suggestions.

Dick M

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/07 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't help much, but this site seems to get good comments from other users: http://rvcams.com/

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

cquinn5

Titusville FL US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/07 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick,
Look int the Sharp Aquos LCD TV's as they have a "picture flip" option which I believe will allow a mirrored image which is needed for the back up camera. One of my neighbors installed an Aquos in his 92 Safari and said it was the only one with a mirror image.
Good Luck,
Cliff Quinn
PS:
go to the sharp website Sharp and bring up one of the manuals on the 20" Aquos
20" manual
go to page #32.

Cliff & Karen Quinn
The Great Outdoors

ndnparts

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/07 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really didn't like using the TV as the monitor, so I just installed a separate system all together. The OEM camera had been replaced with a cheap one that had poor picture quality in low light, so I had to do something anyway. Now if I could just find an LCD that would replace the Samsung TV, I'd be a happy camper. Good luck. Stan

TimL

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not install a smaller (5.6" or 7") standalone monitor to serve as your backup monitor? That would likely make it easier to select a replacement TV.

Tim, Nita, Natalie (11 yrs), and Claire (8 yrs)
35-foot '91 Holiday Rambler 1000
F-53 with Mor-Ryde Tag Axle and Mor-Ryde Front Suspension Kit
1990 Mustang (5.0) Toad

Buffalobilly

Holiday Island, AR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/07 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick
Wheres your TV center or left. Mines on the left. I have consider replacing mine with a LCD. I asked the question on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Safarifriends. Surprising the response was don't do it unless you install a small monitor for the backup camera.
Anyway Samsung has a 23 inch LCD that may fit. It has buttons on the right side. Also Philips has a 23 inch LCD that has measurements that will fit the the spot my 21 inch tube Quasar is. I don't know where the buttons are.
Do a search on e-bay for 23" LCD.
Bill

Buffalobilly
95 Safari Sahara
230 B Cummins
pulling a 2007 Diesel Grand Cherokee

denniscrocker

St.Louis

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 11:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i have the same setup added an lcd tv to the center in the front using a hd wallmount and converted the tv hole to a cabinet using one of the extra leaves from the dinette and some hinges simple cut on the tablesaw whole job was complete in a few hours and it looks like it was built that way. we refurbished the whole coach so if you need help i would be happy to give you info or even send you some pics let me know if i can help dennis4x@gmail.com

denniscrocker

St.Louis

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oops for the a/v setup i just set the tv to video and it stays that way on and off until i change it just keep the remote within reach just in case
I also changed the camera in back to color with night vision ebay for $80 and again a couple hours of fitting and pointing well worth it to see at night

denniscrocker

St.Louis

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/07 11:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sorry i'll get this right as far as not doing it it's really no big deal and why add another monitor i have 26 inches of wideangle rearview now after the cam fix just required a couple of holes and extensions again i would be happy to help you thru the process spent more time at the store figuring it out than it took to do it and i'm no handyman but if your going to have a safari you can't be afraid to change or redo it's very versatile and more houselike than most made mine over inside floor to ceiling now it's beeter than i can buy in a new for less than the sales tax i would have paid

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Replacement TV/Monitor for Safari backup camera.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS