|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Tivo Directv question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
stevelv

Living on the island

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/07 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I purchase a Directv DVR does it come with Tivo service or is it Directvs own version?

We really want the Tivo based service and I see a bunch of Directv receiver/DVRs with Tivo service on Ebay but Tivo charges $20 a month and Directv charges $6

What I'd like to do is buy a DVR with Tivo from Ebay and then just buy the programming service from Directv - is that possible?

Also do I have to have an installer visit the RV to enable service or can I do that myself?

Do te DVR services download progamming from the Sat or via phone/broadband - we will have WiFi Broadband so that's the preferred solution unless they get it from the satellite.

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/07 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DirecTV now uses its own DVRs without Tivo software. There are still DirecTV Tivo units available from third parties however. Many of us are unhappy with the way the DirecTV DVR works and its slow response to your commands, but if you get your unit from DirecTV, you have no choice.

If you get one of the DirecTV Tivo units available elsewhere (Weaknees.com is a good place to buy or get more info), you can still use it with DirecTV and pay the normal extra DVR price (4.95 per mo. I believe) as if you were using their unit, however instead of renting their unit, it will belong to you.

It is really not practical to use a normal Tivo unit with satellite as you would still have to use the satellite services normal satellite receiver and you would only get one input to the Tivo unit, preventing you from recording two shows at the same time or watching one while taping another. You would also be subscribing to Tivo at a higher rate than DirecTV charges for the same service. You need a DVR (Tivo or otherwise) made to work as a satellite receiver as well. Waeknees has a lot of good info on their site and you can trust it.

You should be able to buy the Tivo unit off of ebay as long as it is also a DIrecTv receiver and do what you want. The unit gets its updates from the satellite and a phone line is not necessary. If you already have DirecTv service you can call them and add the unit and put it in the RV yourself.

Hopefully I explained this so you could understand but if not, please leave more questions.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/07 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TIVO requires a dual LNB dish and 2 coax cables. If DTV installs a single LNB then you can only record one channel and you may get an annoying message about a lost signal from TIVO. ie And other limitations.

Find out what the charges are if you purchase 1 or 2 TIVOs from the Internet. I purchased 2 TIVOs new and paid TIVO a one time charge so that there would be no monthly fee. My DTV charges were the base for one receiver and $5/mth for the second receiver.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/07 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

What I'd like to do is buy a DVR with Tivo from Ebay and then just buy the programming service from Directv - is that possible?

Also do I have to have an installer visit the RV to enable service or can I do that myself?
I purchased my own equipment and installed it myself. After DTV activation I was good to go. You will first need a DNS wavier for the RV unless of course you change your mind and install it in a stick house.

stevelv

Living on the island

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/07 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's a DNS waiver?

OK, so I think I undertand it

I can buy my Tivo+Directv DVR from ebay and call up Directv and order service and ask them for the DVR service (but no equipment needed). That will then give me the all my programs and the Tivo service.

I have dual LNBs on the dish.

Perfect!

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/07 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Certain services require a phone connection like pay per view. Certain equipment like current DTV receivers for example may require a monthly phone connection. Never had a problem with my TIVOs when I hit the roa... err forgot to plug in my TIVO phone line.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/07 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Distance Network Service which is required for a RV. Otherwise you get the local channels for your major national channels which will be on a spot beam with about a 200 mile limit.

I don't think you need to tell them it's a DVR, just the receiver information to activate. They likely know from the codes but I don't think they do anything special for a DVR.

I'd call and talk to them first so you know the charges, etc. Don't be surprised if you get a push for a new install. Don't be surprised if you have to talk to a supervisor or call back and get a more knowledgeable person. Don't be surprised if you are treated with lower priority since you're asking questions and not forking over bucks. It may go OK but...

WNC-RV

Franklin, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/07 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the old stile TIVO from Directv. It is the best part of TV. Happy Camping!!!

Sam & Patti
2006 Silverado LT2 2500HD 4WD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel 6600 V8
with Allison 6 Speed Transmission
2005 Cedar Creek Silverback 29LRLBS Fifth Wheel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide Hitch/XM Radio/Directv/TomTom One XL GPS
Honda EU2000i Generator/Rotochoks

stevelv

Living on the island

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/07 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's all useful info - thanks

One more quick question - I have a dual LNB dish but from reading the Directv site, in order to get HD programming I need a 3 lnb or a 5 lnb dish?

Is that correct or can I still use the dual lnb and get HD?

man, this is SO confusing

jim isham

stevensville, michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/07 05:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want local HD stations, you'll need the 5 LNB dish. You'll also need a different receiver. The Directv with TIVo will not work with a 5 LNB dish as far as local HD from Directv is concerned.
If you're interested in just national HD, the 3 LNB will work with the Directv HR10-250. The HR10-250 can be used to pick up local HD stations using a regular antenna. Here's a link to a web site that shows the national HD channels (in bold) on the 101, 110 and 119 satellites. http://www.widemovies.com/dtvtransponders.html

Michigan's Sunset Coast

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Tivo Directv question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS