|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Filon Siding

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
readytow

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/07 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know the process for re-attaching the filon (fiberglass) siding on a TC? I have finished the bathroom rebuild. And have used a construction adhesive in a caulk gun to attach the siding. But, I am unhappy with the results. I spread a line, then smeared it out on the filon, and it does not seem to be sticking well.
Would appreciate any input.
Thanks

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/07 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not done Filon sheet bonding to RVs, however, I've asked around (marina and RV repair shops) about fastening Filon sheets to an RV like structure, and this is what I learned:

-you have to use the correct glue (on a VERY dry surface) depending on the RV wall structure (i.e. one glue type for bonding to aluminum frame, another type to bond to wood frame, and a 3rd glue type to bond to polystyrene or other rigid insulation);

-the Filon back is made of one of two materials: Lauan wood or Filon; if Lauan, the Lauan must be totally dry (no moisture at all) before gluing;

-you cannot have any air spaces between Filon, and the surface you are gluing it to...i.e. glue must cover entire surface evenly, then a lag press must be fabricated to pressure-hold the entire Filon sheet (every square inch of it) on the glued surface for a minimum of 24-hours.

....few. This is the kind of job I would not want to do without some expert help, for sure.

Good luck!
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Super_Dave

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/07 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have thought a contact cement approach would work well, like formica on a countertop. How are you holding it in place while it sets up? Gorilla glue is also awesome stuff. I've used it on my boat trailer bunks and it's waterproof, thin but expands to fill air voids.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Camper: 2007 Eagle Cap 850
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

Beddows

Abbotsford, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/07 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Possibly liquid nails? If you like I have some contacts who would know what you should use. I can ask them for you.

readytow

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/07 04:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used a product similar to liquid glue, and have been running a strip every 2" or so, then "smearing" siding on to help spread the glue around. With the cold weather the glue has come undone from the camper insulation/wood. Still firmly attached to the filon however. I am leaning toward the contact glue theory, possibly brushed on over every square inch, then attaching the filon. The lower back piece was glued on, then screwed down on the framing, then I set a large piece of plywood up agains it, and set a board on the plywood at an angle to apply pressure. Seems to work ok. But, am now getting ready to re-attach the larger side piece, and am worried about getting a good strong secure attachment. Thanks again for all the help. If I can figure out how to do it, will post some pix of the remodel.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/07 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why don't you try the following:

-Buy 2 strips of Filon with the backing that you want to use;

-Make a small mock-up TC wall of the materials that your TC is made of (just a simple frame with the same insulation your unit has);

-Glue with Stabond E-183 adhesive (buy it by the gallon if you like results of test). As a note of interest, Stabond E-183 (Stabond Corporation) appears on the Lockheed Martin approved materials list.

*Stabond is EXTREMELY flammable, you must take precautions when applying it (i.e. no static electricity, grounding the application person, no open flames, no sparking wall light switches, positive pressurised room, etc)...

-glue 1 strip without pressure bracing;

-glue other strip with a cloth-backed plywood bracing torqued against Filon for 24-hours.

Leave the mock-up wall outside in dry cover for a week. Attempt to pull off each strip.

#END#

JimBernard

Cincinnati, OH

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/07 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to coat the entire surface with a contact cement compatible with the material you are bonding to.

Where were you able to purchase Filon and what size sheets?

readytow wrote:

Does anyone know the process for re-attaching the filon (fiberglass) siding on a TC? I have finished the bathroom rebuild. And have used a construction adhesive in a caulk gun to attach the siding. But, I am unhappy with the results. I spread a line, then smeared it out on the filon, and it does not seem to be sticking well.
Would appreciate any input.
Thanks

1996 Lance 945 11'3" Queen cabover on
2005 F-350 PSD CC DRW 4x4
Air Lift 5000# bags
Towing '93 YJ, SOA (Dana 30/Ford 8.8), Locked 4.10's, 35" MTR's
Using Reese Titan 41" extension

ILLTravler

New Lenox, Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/07 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would use contact cement ( not the gel form) contact cement will adhere to wood, fiberglass and metal. If you have styrofoam panels for insulation, the glue will eat it up. Both surfaces need glue and let dry before bonding. If using original siding, must make sure it's lined up before sticking together.
once stuck it's stuck.

11 Chevy 3500 long bed EXT CAB 6.6 4X4
2005 Host 8.6 Bachelor SS TC
97 BRYANT BOAT

readytow

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/07 04:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, I do have the styrofoam insulation. So a glue that eats it is out. I have heard about Staybond E-183, and am looking into that. My thought is something that can be applied with a roller or brush, for better coverage. Thanks to everyone for all the input.

readytow

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/07 04:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UPDATE. After checking with the manufacture (DUH! Why did I not htink of that sooner!), they informed me that Stay-bond E-183, is the recommended glue for this application. Apparently the Filon is attached to Luan, then to the camper sides on some models. Since I do not have the Luan, the E-183 is the recommended glue to attach everything, without the worry of the glue eating my styrofoam insulation. Now, if I can just get the job finished before my house closes, and I lose my big storage/work barn. Thanks again for all the input.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Filon Siding
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS