|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Older propane tanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
keywestrv

key west fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/07 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had a 40LB industrial propane tank, similar to one on a forklift, that's full but it has a valve handle with 6 rounded points. The newest BBQ tanks have a triangle handle. The threads look as though they will fit my new smoker propane hose fitting. Will the old tank work on the new grill? Before I lug this beast a long ways I thought I'd ask.....and I don't really want to be a stain on the side of my house.

Wife drives it FAST, hubby fixes it when it breaks.

2002 Rexair 40' DP Cummins 400HP with Banks
Suzuki GS 290HP Top Gas Dragbike
Suzuki GS 230HP Bracket Dragbike
Enclosed race trailer, A/C, gen, compressor, mini-shop

Bluefreight

east coast

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/07 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful, forklift propane tanks dispense liquid propane not gas.

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/07 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, check to make sure it is either a vapor dispensing cylinder or has a provision for both liquid and vapor and use it only in vapor configuration.

BUT, since it is not an OPD valve you most likely will have problems getting it refilled. Most states not abide by the regulations that require an OPD valve on any cylinder to be refilled.
Not to mention depending on it's age it might also be out of certification and replacing the valve and recertifying will cost as much if not more than a new cylinder.

If you just want to use up the propane the thread will match up. Just check if it's liquuid or vapor draw.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/07 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll side with vikx on this one and don't be surprised if Suburban wants money to take it off your hands. Local propane dealers and our solid waste authority charge $7.50 IIRC to "recycle" old propane cylinders. The Authority has semi annual "free days" where they take propane cylinder in for free.

vikx

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/07 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask Suburban propane about the liquid/vapor. They can also tell you if it's safe to use.

keywestrv

key west fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/07 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's stamped on the outside "Horizontal only". And the guage will not work unless it's on its side. Should I not try to use it? I don't want to refill it, I'll give it to Suburban Propane when it's empty, just wanted to see if it would run my smoker, which has to run 10-20 hours a stretch. Can I use it upright for gas, not liquid, or is that not possible?

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/07 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Except vapor flow horizontal cylinders are subject to the OPD rules. Most horizontal tanks are liquid flow (and an OPD valve doesn't work) that's why I seconded the recommendation to have it checked by a propane supplier. Horizontal vapor only tanks designed mainly for RV's have mounting specific points so the draw tube can't get submerged and do have to meet OPD standards. Not to mention they cost about triple of a standard vertical tank.

RJgonfshin

Winston Or, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/07 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That cylinder permanently mounted on an RV, is still, and probably always will be leagally refillable. Therefore it mite be worth some money to someone, or at least not worth paying money to get rid of.

Rich

' 98 Flair, 454, Onan Microlite 4k, Intel PD 9155 w/ wizard, Sta-power 1500 watt Inv, 2 6v batts, ammeters, Oly Catalytic Heat, hauling 2 Bent Bikes and sometimes towing a Tracker F&S boat.

Oldfordman

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/07 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike4947 wrote:

BUT, since it is not an OPD valve you most likely will have problems getting it refilled. Most states not abide by the regulations that require an OPD valve on any cylinder to be refilled.
Horizontal Forklift Tanks are exempt from the OPD requirement.

Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!

keywestrv

key west fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/07 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I called the 3 propane companies here in the Keys and was not really happy with the answers. One company said no, one said yes, and one said pay us to come look. I gave the tank away to a friend who has 2 forklifts.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Older propane tanks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS