Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Want To Connect My BBQ To TT Female Quick Release On TT

Posted By: eightballsidepocket on 02/26/07 10:11am

I have a female quick release LPG(Propane) brass connector on my travel trailer. That's a very common accessory on my RV's nowadays.

I have a BBQ with the standard LPG hose with the Female propane Tank connector on the end of the hose.

I want to be able to connect my BBQ to the quick release female fitting on my trailer without changing the existing hose coming out of my BBQ. This way I can continue to connect the BBQ to a standard LPG tank when not connecting to the trailer quick release.

I've looked at Camping world connectors at my local store and don't see this LPG hose set-up.

In other words, I need a hose with a male LPG quick release fitting at one end for the trailer connection, and a male LPG "ACME" or propane tank connector at the other end to connect to the BBQ's propane female plastic hand tightening female propane tank connector on the BBQ's propane hose.

I really don't understand why this type of hose/adapter isn't more common, as many folks want to bring along a BBQ while camping and have the propane tank connector hanging off their BBQ and just want an adapter hose that will go from the existing BBQ propane tank connector female, to the now-common trailer/RV female propane quick-connectors.

My only alternative is to actually physically remove(unscrew or wrench it off) my propane tank connector hose from my BBQ and replace it with a propane hose with a male quick connector fitting at one end and a male threaded end that will attach to my BBQ burner assembly directly, each time I want to take the BBQ on a camping trip with our Trailer?

There's got to be a hose available with the Propane tank male connector on one end and the male quick release at the other end. I haven't found it.

I'm trying to eliminate taking along propane tank when I have two #30 tanks on my trailer already.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x2 Quad Cab, Cummins, 48RE Tranny, Lg Bed, Line-X Spray-on Bed Liner.

06 T25BS Komfort Trailblazer TT

"If you can't say it in person, it isn't worth saying while hiding behind an anonymous P.C.!"

Posted By: Garfie|d on 02/26/07 10:25am

The female quick release connector on your trailer is likely for the optional RVQ - if so it's a low pressure fitting which cannot be used directly on a standard BBQ with a regulator. (Well it can with the proper connector, but the gas output will be very low). Even if you swap out your BBQ hose for one without the regulator, depending on the size of the BBQ it still may not get enough LP.

Instead, I installed an "Extend-a-Flow" high pressure "T" fitting that installs directly on one of the trailers main LP tanks before the regulator. Then I bought a 10 foot extension hose for my PortaChef that has a proper end that connects to the "T". This saves me dragging a separate tank along to fuel the BBQ.

Extend-a-flow T fitting

http://www.r-visioncamping.org/modules/g........oadItem&g2_itemId=6479&g2_serialNumber=2

2001 Airstream Safari 25SS tugged by 2011 Chevy Traverse 3.6L AWD
Hensley Arrow • DirecLink • Mckesh
Set up by Can-Am RV

Posted By: SALMONHEAD on 02/26/07 10:27am

Well it would seem the easiest solution is to have a "dedicated" camping BBQ with the quick release fitting. We have an RVQ hung off the rear bumper which stores in a travel case when on the road.

'96 Ford Bronco, '04 Trail-Cruiser 21rbh, Prodigy, '84 Toyota 4Runner

Posted By: eightballsidepocket on 02/26/07 11:17am

Garfie|d wrote:

The female quick release connector on your trailer is likely for the optional RVQ - if so it's a low pressure fitting which cannot be used directly on a standard BBQ with a regulator. (Well it can with the proper connector, but the gas output will be very low). Even if you swap out your BBQ hose for one without the regulator, depending on the size of the BBQ it still may not get enough LP.

Instead, I installed an "Extend-a-Flow" high pressure "T" fitting that installs directly on one of the trailers main LP tanks before the regulator. Then I bought a 10 foot extension hose for my PortaChef that has a proper end that connects to the "T". This saves me dragging a separate tank along to fuel the BBQ.

Extend-a-flow T fitting

http://www.r-visioncamping.org/modules/g........oadItem&g2_itemId=6479&g2_serialNumber=2

You made a good point, that I've forgotten to consider. We have our old Jayco double axle tent trailer that we are selling now that we have our new TT, and it has the outside quick release so that we could take our inside stove top and take it outside and hook it up on support brackets.

What your saying, is that the standard BBQ like I have (any brand) that connects to a standard sized propane tank is actually regulated to run at a different gas PSI than how it comes out of the trailer system through the quick release connector. In other words that regulator between my two TT tanks is releasing the propane to the fridge/furnace, and total TT system at a different or lower pressure than my BBQ efficiently operates at?

So this hose that you have that runs from your TT Tank must have a Propane tank male type connector on one end that goes into the female tank type connector on your BBQ, and your using what type of connector to go into the "T" at your TT tank? I would assume that you have to have a on-off switch at the T or you've installed a female quick connector with on-off handle?

Posted By: eightballsidepocket on 02/26/07 11:20am

SALMONHEAD wrote:

Well it would seem the easiest solution is to have a "dedicated" camping BBQ with the quick release fitting. We have an RVQ hung off the rear bumper which stores in a travel case when on the road.

I think that "Garfield" has answered the question: We have two different gas pressures here. The BBQ works at one pressure, and the trailer system is regulated at another. That's why there isn't an availability of a hose with the connector that has the BBQ hose fitting, and the quick release male at the other end.

I didn't even think that the regulator on our TT tanks was changing the output psi of the propane.

Posted By: GaryDuarte on 02/26/07 12:43pm

I just installed a quick release on my MH tank. I put a T in and ran 1 line to the QR. I got a 10 ' hose and installed a " Throwaway valve " on the other end of the hose. The T from the MH tank is after the regulater, are you saying this is not going to work. I was so happy I made all the connections, but I didn't try it yet. I found the " Throaway valve" with a 9/16 pipe fitting on the other end, married it to a 3/8 flair. All connections are tight, did a bubble test. I also installed a valve before the QR. Should I put the original T before the MH regulater?

Papa's driving the new Daybreak
Jaden and Minnie are CoPiolets
Mickey is navigating

Posted By: soren on 02/26/07 06:33pm

Garfie|d wrote:

Hi Guys;

Sorry, I don't completely understand all of the details and there can be many factors so I can't say for sure what might or might not work for you. But I'll try to explain it another way...

All LP appliances - those in your trailer and your stand-alone BBQ - require "low pressure" gas to operate. All LP gas cylinders output high pressure gas so the gas has to pass through a regulator (usually that silver disc thingy attached to the LP hose) before it gets to the appliance in order to work. If there was no regulator your appliance might explode in a ball of flame!

On trailers, the regulator is usually located in the LP hose very near the LP tanks, so the entire trailer's LP system is (usually) low pressure - and that includes the auxillary outside gas connector most often provided for the RVQ. Since the RVW does NOT have a regulator, (unlike your home BBQ) all is well.

The problem arises when you want to attached your home BBQ to the trailer - because it has its own regulator. So there are two choices; remove the regulator from the BBQ and attach it (with the appropriate hose) to the trailers auxillary outside connector, or connect the BBQ to the high pressure system on the trailer (i.e. somewhere between the LP tanks and before the trailers regulator).

In the end, you want to have ONE and only one regulator between the LP tank and your BBQ. If you can figure out a way to do that, you're in business!
You Sir, win the prize for having a complete understanding of the situation. I had a friend and a co-worker who both went to painfully involved lengths to tap into their gas piping only to discover that they were downstream of the regulator and didn't have the pressure necessary to run their grill. In the case of many portable grills, the regulator is built into the burner assembly, so it just won't work.

Posted By: Garfie|d on 02/26/07 05:23pm

Hi Guys;

Sorry, I don't completely understand all of the details and there can be many factors so I can't say for sure what might or might not work for you. But I'll try to explain it another way...

All LP appliances - those in your trailer and your stand-alone BBQ - require "low pressure" gas to operate. All LP gas cylinders output high pressure gas so the gas has to pass through a regulator (usually that silver disc thingy attached to the LP hose) before it gets to the appliance in order to work. If there was no regulator your appliance might explode in a ball of flame!

On trailers, the regulator is usually located in the LP hose very near the LP tanks, so the entire trailer's LP system is (usually) low pressure - and that includes the auxillary outside gas connector most often provided for the RVQ. Since the RVQ does NOT have a regulator, (unlike your home BBQ) all is well.

The problem arises when you want to attached your home BBQ to the trailer - because it has its own regulator. So there are two choices; remove the regulator that comes with the BBQ and connect the BBQ directly to the trailer's auxillary outside connector using another hose (sans regulator) with appropriate connectors, or connect the BBQ (w/regulator) directly to the high pressure system on the trailer (i.e. somewhere between the LP tanks but before the trailer's regulator).

In the end, you want to have ONE and only one regulator between the LP tank and your BBQ. If you can figure out a way to do that, you're in business!

* This post was edited 02/26/07 07:52pm by Garfie|d *

Posted By: Garfie|d on 02/26/07 08:03pm

soren wrote:

I had a friend and a co-worker who both went to painfully involved lengths to tap into their gas piping only to discover that they were downstream of the regulator and didn't have the pressure necessary to run their grill. In the case of many portable grills, the regulator is built into the burner assembly, so it just won't work.

How true! Those table-top models can be tricky to figure out. Fortunately typical BBQ's are fairly straight forward.

Posted By: Garfie|d on 02/26/07 08:18pm

Trap wrote:

We use our PortaChef off the female quick release. Had a propane place make up the hose and it works great.

Indeed, that should work well with the small Porta-Chef. But I've read of some folks with large BBQ's having problems of low gas supply off the auxillary tap, although it may have been a problem unique to their trailer.

Larger BBQ's can draw a considerable amount of gas, and I like the idea of tapping the main for it. Besides, in our case we use an outside stove hooked up to the auxillary connection:

http://www.r-visioncamping.org/modules/g........oadItem&g2_itemId=6473&g2_serialNumber=2

Posted By: eightballsidepocket on 02/26/07 11:32pm

Garfie|d wrote:

Hi Guys;

On trailers, the regulator is usually located in the LP hose very near the LP tanks, so the entire trailer's LP system is (usually) low pressure - and that includes the auxillary outside gas connector most often provided for the RVQ. Since the RVQ does NOT have a regulator, (unlike your home BBQ) all is well.

The problem arises when you want to attached your home BBQ to the trailer - because it has its own regulator. So there are two choices; remove the regulator that comes with the BBQ and connect the BBQ directly to the trailer's auxillary outside connector using another hose (sans regulator) with appropriate connectors, or connect the BBQ (w/regulator) directly to the high pressure system on the trailer (i.e. somewhere between the LP tanks but before the trailer's regulator).

That's an excellent explanation. I talked to a fellow at Camp World today that was trying to do the very same thing as me, and when he connected his BBQ with it's own regulator to the outside RVQ connector, he got no gas to the BBQ. That must be because he is regulating the propane pressure two times, one at the RV tanks and again at the BBQ, and that last regulator just plain won't let any gas through because the pressure is already low.

Now the problem arises if you want to keep your old ACME connector or tank connector on your BBQ and have to find an adapter or male ACME connector like the one on the propane tank and have it "T" off of your RV tank. You will need some kind of shut off behind that part of the "T" so that you can have your tank valve open to allow gas to the trailer, and not leak it out of your "T" with the additional male ACME connector when not hooked up to a BBQ.

Two alternatives. Take your regulator and female ACME connector off the end of your BBQ hose or replace the hose with a Quick connect Male connector-hose with a brass thread that will connect to your BBQ burner assembly, and just have to unscrew the that hose off the BBQ and put the old one back on when you want to just connect to a propane tank.

The other route is to rig-up some kind of "T" setup at your RV tank that bypasses the regulator to the RV, but still has a separate gas shut-off to a female quick connector(common), and hook a male quick connector from your BBQ to it/minus a BBQ regulator.

Posted By: eightballsidepocket on 03/02/07 12:44pm

rechinca wrote:

Here is a solution for you. There is a brand available called Camp Chef (www.campchef.com) that is readily available at Costco (like a Sams Club out here in California) and at places like Cabela's and outdoorcooking.com. Their regulator is in the hose assembly not directly attached to the stove. They also market a hose to plug into the RV quick connect that does not have the regulator and according to them will allow your TT tanks to easily supply the stove. My stove is a three burner that came with a preseasoned cast iron griddle to cover two burners and they make several types of BBQ boxes to use on it also. They also make a two burner stove and all kinds of neat accessories for it. Back to the hose, I believe it is 8' or 10' long and cost $18 at the outdoorcooking.com site. Have I used it yet, no because I just got the hose in today and can't get to the test run until this weekend (got to love working grave shift) but an email from camp chef stated that is why they offer the hose. It is meant to supply the stove from a low pressure source. Almost all grills/stoves are actually low pressure units with a regulator that is usually permanently attached at or near the burner.

If you haven't seen these stoves or used one, I highly reccomend them. We cooked chorizo/egg/potato burritos for 12 (all at one time) one morning for breakfast with no other stoves etc. (plus with the third burner I had my percolator of coffee running)! My grill cost $159 from Costco (costco.com) but it is heavy (due to the cast iron griddle). I prefer to cook outside for all meals when I take the TT and can now do it all without carrying an extra tank hopefully.

Now if you don't have the quick connect on your trailer, you can get the T fittings to plumb in between your tank and regulator on the trailer along with the necessary hose at camping world, but it will cost more. I will post more on this when I get back from the Vegas NASCAR race next weekend.

I think I saw this at my Costco last week. I did however try to pick up the box it was packaged in, and it's pretty hefty isn't it?

The prices wasn't bad though. Does't it fold up like a suit case?

I'm trying to remember, if you can actually BBQ on it. I remember the photo on the box showed an open grate grill for puting pots and pans on it, and a griddle, but does it have an actual BBQ grate, that you can put steaks and chicken on it and have the gas fire hit the meat directly through the grate, without frying the meat on the griddle?

Posted By: rechinca on 03/02/07 03:03am

Here is a solution for you. There is a brand available called Camp Chef (www.campchef.com) that is readily available at Costco (like a Sams Club out here in California) and at places like Cabela's and outdoorcooking.com. Their regulator is in the hose assembly not directly attached to the stove. They also market a hose to plug into the RV quick connect that does not have the regulator and according to them will allow your TT tanks to easily supply the stove. My stove is a three burner that came with a preseasoned cast iron griddle to cover two burners and they make several types of BBQ boxes to use on it also. They also make a two burner stove and all kinds of neat accessories for it. Back to the hose, I believe it is 8' or 10' long and cost $18 at the outdoorcooking.com site. Have I used it yet, no because I just got the hose in today and can't get to the test run until this weekend (got to love working grave shift) but an email from camp chef stated that is why they offer the hose. It is meant to supply the stove from a low pressure source. Almost all grills/stoves are actually low pressure units with a regulator that is usually permanently attached at or near the burner.

If you haven't seen these stoves or used one, I highly reccomend them. We cooked chorizo/egg/potato burritos for 12 (all at one time) one morning for breakfast with no other stoves etc. (plus with the third burner I had my percolator of coffee running)! My grill cost $159 from Costco (costco.com) but it is heavy (due to the cast iron griddle). I prefer to cook outside for all meals when I take the TT and can now do it all without carrying an extra tank hopefully.

Now if you don't have the quick connect on your trailer, you can get the T fittings to plumb in between your tank and regulator on the trailer along with the necessary hose at camping world, but it will cost more. I will post more on this when I get back from the Vegas NASCAR race next weekend.

Posted By: Trap on 02/26/07 06:58pm

We use our PortaChef off the female quick release. Had a propane place make up the hose and it works great.

Trap

Garfie|d wrote:

Extend-a-flow T fitting

Posted By: Geodude on 03/02/07 05:58pm

If it's of any help, we run a Weber Baby Q off the connection on the side of the trailer where the RVQ was to have connected.

I had a custom 20' hose with quick disconnect made up. I remove the regulator from the Baby when I want to run it off the trailer. It works just as well off the trailer as off its own tank.

The nice thing about the Baby is not only that it's an excellent BBQ but it's also miserly when it comes to gas consumption.

2012 Heartland Greystone 33CK 38', triple slide 5er
2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab SB 4WD 6.7L Power Stroke diesel
Our Excellent Camping Adventures

Posted By: eightballsidepocket on 03/02/07 08:39pm

mikhen wrote:

I had hope when I looked at campchef.com. But our situation is different. We have a grill-to-go. The flame adjustment control and regulator are right on the hose, so the setup by campchef won't work. Any ideas on this?

Actually if the regulator is on the hose, that's good. Most propane BBQ's I was told run at about the same PSI as your RV appliances that are regulated at your RV tanks. If you have a grill or BBQ that has massive, high BTU burners, then you may need to operate at higher propane PSI, and the RV pressure may not suffice.

So I bought a hose that screws into my little Broil King portable BBQ in place of the factory hose with the regulator on it and the big old plastic female ACME connector that normally goes to a tank. On the other end of the new hose, I'm going to screw on a male, quick connector and give it a try connecting it to my Trailer's female quick connector.

The reason you have a regulator on your BBQ hose that connects to a tank is that the tank pressure is too high. This is also the case why there's a regulator on your trailer or RV tanks. So the PSI at the RV's female quick connector is already regulated and doesn't need your BBQ's regulator. In fact a fellow customer I met a Camping World the other day said that he tried connecting his regulated gas BBQ to his RV system, and he didn't get any gas for a flame. Why? I would guess that the BBQ's regulator isn't getting enough gas pressure to allow the RV regulated propane gas to get through. In essence you've got two regulators in series, and you double the restriction on the gas pressure in my estimation. It's not any different that putting two electrical resisters on the same electric line but in different locations, but in series. If you have a light bulb before the two resistors, it will burn brighter than the one between the two resistors and the light bulb after the two resistors may not burn at all. Same goes for a water hose. The longer the hose, the lower your water pressure, and the length of hose increases resistance to the water's psi.. It's a lot easier to blow air through short soda straw than one that's 10 feet long.

So double-regulating your RV propane may cause you to have little or no lightable flame and could even be a potential explosive hazard, as a minute amount of propane could be leaking past the BBQ regulator, but not enough to light, and then it will just build up into a massive pool of Propane in the bottom of your BBQ if you forget to turn off the gas, thinking none is getting through. Just because it doesn't light doesn't mean that the second regulator has completely blocked the propane flow. If you walk back and try again and the BBQ flame control has been left on, you might end up with pieces of BBQ in your face and body!

Posted By: eightballsidepocket on 03/05/07 10:55pm

Thanks to everyone's input, and some of my own ideas, I got the BBQ working off of the RV quick connector this weekend. I had to make a few trips to ACE Hardware to get all the parts, but I got a great set-up.

First of all, the major thing I learned was that I should not use the regulator from my BBQ inline with the trailer RV quick connector. No gas will get to the BBQ, as I've double regulated the gas supply, since the RV gas supply is already lowered from the RV tanks by the RV tank regulator on the trailer.

So I bought 5 feet of propane hose with a 1/4" female threaded coupling on one end and a 1/4" male thread on the other end. After removing my original Broiler King BBQ gas hose, by unthreading/removing it's 3/8" threaded female end of the hose with regulator and ACME tank fitting from the BBQ, I got a 3/8" to 1/4" coupler and threaded on a 1/4" male quick connector. I installed a female quick connector on one end of the 5' hose and a male quick connector at the other end. I now can now snap on my 5' gas hose to the BBQ, and snap it's other end onto the trailer. I turned on the gas, and I had a nice strong gas flame for cooking.

Now I installed a quick connector female on my old BBQ hose end that went to the BBQ and now I can switch from propane tank from RV feed to do my BBQing, without unscrewing hoses. One hose has a regulator and acme female fitting on it(the original BBQ hose) and can be used with a tank, and the new 5' hose snaps directly to the BBQ in place of the regulated BBQ hose, and goes directly to the RV gas supply. The RV gas supply is already regulated, so I don't need the regulator on the 5' hose.

I hope I didn't make this too complicated. It's actually quite simple.

The BBQ now just has a male quick connector sticking out of it where the old propane hose used to connect. Now either the trailer regulated hose can hook up to it or the original Broiler King BBQ hose can be snapped on instead and feed off of a propane tank.
One warning though. I've heard that if your trying to adapt a very large BTU BBQ or cooker, that is exceeding 100,000 BTU's you are working with a system that demands some high flow, and probably higher PSI of Propane to the cooker. In that case, your RV system may not be regulated for the high demand flow of gas. If your big old cooker has regulator, which I assume, I would check with the manufacturer to see how to adapt to your RV. You might have to go to the RV tanks directly and bypass your RV tank regulator all together and have some kind of a "t" tree coming off the tank where some of the Gas bypasses the RV regulated propane. Then you will need to utilize the gas psi regulator to your high BTU cooker that gives you the right gas flow. Don't experiment in my opinion. Call the manufacturer of the grill/cooker, or just carry an extra propane tank for the cooker.

Posted By: rechinca on 03/04/07 09:40am

Affirmative, that is why I did this also. I bought the Weber Q, a little bit bigger than the baby Q, but it was difficult to cook breakfast on. I know I know, I have a stove in the trailer, but I really do prefer to cook outside with a pot of coffee on and enjoy the morning while the wife and kids get a little extra sleep. This way I get my quiet time and the breakfast is ready to go when they wake up. Besides, you meet some really nice people while you are out cooking and get some really good ideas for meals too.

Posted By: Fiddich on 03/03/07 08:59am

rechinca wrote:

This is exactly the setup I have. Love it. A little on the heavier side but puts out BTUs. Not like the BabyQ. There's a reason they call it a BabyQ.

Posted By: mikhen on 03/02/07 05:39pm

I had hope when I looked at campchef.com. But our situation is different. We have a grill-to-go. The flame adjustment control and regulator are right on the hose, so the setup by campchef won't work. Any ideas on this?

2005 Sunseeker 3100 QBS
camping Pa...The most FREE camping giveaways in Pa

Posted By: mikhen on 03/03/07 07:03am

Tht's great, but the control valve for my grill is also on the hose. We are heading to camping world in a few minutes to see what we can find.

Print  |  Close