Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Installed Tire Man Dually Valve Stem Kit Today

Posted By: nearseattle on 03/17/07 02:31pm

Hi Folks,

After several months of telling myself that I would be able to learn some way to check the tire pressure on my Fleetwood Tioga Class C on the Ford E450 chassis, I finally decided there was no hope. So last week I ordered the Tire Man Dually Valve Stem Kit. Cost was $130 plus $10 shipping. Chose the Tire Man kit over the one for Borg because it comes with six extensions; the Borg Tire Supply kit only outfits the rear duallys.

Had it installed today at my local Les Schwab. As always outstanding work and customer service there. To bring through the valve from the inner dually, they had to modify one of the holes in the rear wheel covers, cutting out a little dimple and polishing it nicely. Total cost was $84.

Result is outstanding and well worth the $224 for parts and installation. I can check and fill all my tires with no trouble at all. What an improvement!

Link to Tire Man and Borg Tire Supply is below.

Richard

Tire Man Kit

Borg Tire Supply

* This post was edited 03/17/07 02:38pm by nearseattle *

Richard and Anne
Meredith & Alison
Edmonds, WA
1998 Fleetwood Tioga 29, a variety of extra electrical gadgets plus a big heap of canoes and kayaks
nearseattle@yahoo.com

Posted By: mustang652 on 03/17/07 04:18pm

Appreciate you posting the info. Just recently purchased and put tires on a 2002 Coachman and am not real pleased with the rubber valve stems. Think I'll go the Tireman route before I take it out next month.

Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF Retired, Life Member: NRA, VVA, VSPA, DVA,VFW

Posted By: roughranger on 02/21/08 03:26pm

Is it just me, or are these folks making a huge profit on this stuff? I found a web site that sells this 4-1/2” Long Straight Brass Clamp In Valve Stem for $1.54 each

They also sell different lengths. I am thinking about buying some and bending them myself. Has anyone else tried this? Heck, I could go through a lot of trial and errror before I would end up spending $140.

02 Granite Ridge 3100 SS
------------------------
04 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Highly Modified
00 Ford Explorer XLT 4DR
94 Ford Ranger SC 4x4 Modified

Posted By: Dakzuki on 02/21/08 04:26pm

You do need to be careful not to work harden the brass as it will crack and you may need a mandrel to keep it from collapsing.

Let us know how it works out.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Posted By: cal47 on 02/21/08 09:09pm

roughranger, how about posting that website, I need 2 for the front.

Cal & Donna
Starr (our Lab mix)
2000 FourWinds Chateau 31S
Rickson 17.5 Wheels and Toyo tires
Sani-Con Sewer Solution
Pressure Pro System
1996 Grand Cherokee Toad W/Ready Brake System
Rand McNally RVND 5510
Bigfoot Levelers

Posted By: time_to_go_now on 02/21/08 09:42pm

roughranger wrote:

Is it just me, or are these folks making a huge profit on this stuff? I found a web site that sells this 4-1/2” Long Straight Brass Clamp In Valve Stem for $1.54 each

They also sell different lengths. I am thinking about buying some and bending them myself. Has anyone else tried this? Heck, I could go through a lot of trial and errror before I would end up spending $140.

Yup. That is what my tire shop did.

They took some 6" long solid brass stems and hand bent them to shape.

And, if you carry the correct tire chuck, the original stem locations are not that difficult to check.

And DO NOT run rubber valve stems. Or, if you do, make certain they can be inflated to 80 psi. There was a huge recall on rubber valve stems shooting out of the tire at any pressure higher than 65 psi.

Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/17, Boy/14, Girl/12
1985 Toyota 4Runner
ONE quad, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, ONE Polaris RZR

Posted By: brlowe on 02/22/08 08:12am

Does anybody have a link for the site that sells the 4 1/2" extensions for $1.54?
I tried google but could not find them.

Posted By: Deb and Ed M on 02/22/08 08:25am

nearseattle wrote:

Result is outstanding and well worth the $224 for parts and installation. I can check and fill all my tires with no trouble at all. What an improvement!

Isn't it wonderful????? Checking the tire pressure used to make my husband, a normally calm, sweet guy...into a "Mr Hyde"....LOL!!! NOT a good way to start a trip....

These things should be MANDATORY on every motorhome. What would it really cost the manfacturers??? Fifty bucks?????

Deb

Posted By: rvten on 02/22/08 09:24am

Mustang652: Your tire dealer should not have put rubber air stems on your MH. They should be the metal type secured with the metal nut.

Have never had rubber valve stems on any of my MH's class A or C.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Posted By: ishoot on 02/22/08 09:29am

Does anyone know if Camping World installs "Tire Man" products or similar??

Dan

Posted By: klhutch on 02/22/08 11:10am

Deb and Ed M wrote:

These things should be MANDATORY on every motorhome. What would it really cost the manfacturers??? Fifty bucks?????

Deb

Maybe a little more than that but you are right, we'd be happy to pay it if for no other reason than it should be cheaper than having it done aftermarket.

On the other hand our new Camping World (Coachmen) Freedom Express (Freelander) actually came with steel valve stems and extenders on the inner duallys. It is on the Chevy/Workhorse chassis so maybe that is a Ford vs. Chevy thing, I don't know. Days after I had the Tireman stems installed on our previous MH I had the inspirational thought that if Ford had used metal stems instead of rubber those offset dually tire chucks might actually have worked. My problem was not getting the chuck on the stem it was getting the chuck to seat on the stem tightly enough to get air into the tire. Those wet noodle rubber stems just kept bending out of the way and letting air leak out. It took me an hour and a half to top off the tires the first time. I got the Tireman stems before I had to do it again!

Other people have tried metal valves and report that they do work easily with the offset chucks so I am not expecting to need Tireman stems on the new rig. I'm guessing that at Ford's volume ordinary steel valves might cost $1 apiece, $6 total, more than rubber. Many people say that at these pressures rubber shouldn't be used anyway. Putting ordinary steel stems on your tires will cost more in labor than in parts, if anyone wants to try them. I hate to recommend this before I've enough experience with them to say that they work. We bought the new rig some time ago but its winter and we won't take possession until tomorrow so I haven't even filled the tires once yet.

I bet Camping World will do the Tireman install. I think people have reported this previously, maybe it was some locations will and others won't. You might ask at local dealers that sell tires for medium trucks. You might get a better price. We found one that always has MHs parked in his waiting lot and who does medium truck repairs too so we used him for oil changes and Bilstein shock install too.

Ken

Posted By: roughranger on 02/22/08 01:58pm

cal47 wrote:

roughranger, how about posting that website, I need 2 for the front.

Here you go:

http://www.priertiresupply.com

Print  |  Close