RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Best (Lowest Cost) State to Own a Motorhome.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Best (Lowest Cost) State to Own a Motorhome.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gonesouth

Tatamagouche, NS

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/07 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been reading all the posts about Montana LLC's and sales taxes, and use taxes, and registration fees, and insurance, and.....

I am not American, but I would like to register my motorhome somewhere in the US. Mostly because registration in Nova Scotia requires 15% sales tax payment, then a fairly high registration and insurance, plus annual visits to register it and have mechanical inspections done.

In my case I am busy from April to October, so my use will be mostly in the southern US. So it seems proper that the taxes I pay, even though as low as possible, go to some state where I will be using the motorhome.

Legally this will be accomplished by creating a legal incorporation of some sort which will be resident in the state I pick. Likely I will need to file company taxes based on income which will be me paying enough to cover the company's costs, leaving a zero corporate income each year.

Most of the threads seem to focus on either best registration costs, best sales tax situation, state income taxes(which don't apply to me)etc. So, has anyone done a comparison of all the government-related costs, fees, or taxes to determine the best state for owning your motorhome?

Looking for Free Wifi I noticed SSID " HRM_Police_Surveillance_Van_#2" Think it's safe to connect?
fulltime 6 months/year FMCA 368297
98 Beaver Marquis, one slide, CAT425HP, 2 stg Jake, Allison MD4060, Aquahot, 10KwOnan, 3Kw Xantrex, HWH Air Levelling

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/07 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did mine in Montana. Probably one of the better ones. I heard South Dakota might be good too.

Call me.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
KG7EFA - Extra Class
Kenwood Radios

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/07 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my used from a individual [no sales tax that way] in GA and then after 6 months titled it in Fla were the tag cost is less than $100. Would have been over $1500 to tag the second time in Ga. I own a rv lot in WPB so titling/tag was not a problem. Fla does not have a income tax and if you have owned it more than 6 months there is not any sales tax. What I save pays the HOA costs and I do not have to worry about finding a place to stay each winter. I'd buy it someplace that does not have sales tax and then after 6 months do the Fla thing. With 5 months to spend in the south you need to consider owning a rv lot in Fla as most rents are $1000-1500/month. Also prices have come down some as sales have slowed. Good luck in your search.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/07 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gonesouth wrote:

I have been reading all the posts about Montana LLC's and sales taxes, and use taxes, and registration fees, and insurance, and.....

A Montana LLC may be your best choice, since the system is already set up there. However two items to consider
  1. You probably could never take it home to Canada
  2. See the current thread on Calif deciding that Montana LLC's mean the rig has to be commercially licensed

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

HIGH ROLLER

NEVADA / N 39x10.357 / W 119x47.204

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/07 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't consider Nevada---high annual registration fees. I plan to use LLC in Montana in very near (really near) future. Just had the legal aspects researched & it's doable. Good luck in your search.

chuck4788

West of the Middle

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/07 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out South Dakota, do a search on this forum; there is a web site for a SD mail forwarder that explains the benefits.

Another very useful link is Taxes by State where you will discover why many retirees pick certain states.

Good luck

Chuck
02 Beaver
505hp C12 Cat
Trailblazer toad

BaldEagle

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/07 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oregon has no sales tax when you buy, no annual property tax, and low registration fees.

2004 Vectra 40AD
2002 MDX Toad/Brake Buddy
Roadmaster Blackhawk
Guardian Rock Shield

Flyer91

20 miles from Yosemite NP, in the Ca. Sierras

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/07 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BaldEagle, when you say no annual property tax, do you also mean on homes?

40' Dynasty Chancellor 400ISL

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/07 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HIGH ROLLER wrote:

Don't consider Nevada---high annual registration fees. I plan to use LLC in Montana in very near (really near) future. Just had the legal aspects researched & it's doable. Good luck in your search.

Nevada reg fees vary county to county, I only know one county and it's the highest

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

BaldEagle

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/07 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flyer91 wrote:

BaldEagle, when you say no annual property tax, do you also mean on homes?
No, homes have property tax although not real bad in most areas. State income tax is probably a little higher than average because of no sales tax.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Best (Lowest Cost) State to Own a Motorhome.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS