RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Why go fulltime?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Why go fulltime?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
jemarq

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/07 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife and I sitting at home (paid-up stick-built on a foundation--remember?) when she asked "Why do people fulltime?" My answers sounded a bit lame, so we decided to ask you guys. How about it, fulltimers...Why are you fulltiming????

hotrod4x5

Southern Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/07 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a photographer and travel a lot, the cost of motels would have put me in the poor house!

Rodney Former Owner of: 2005 Laredo 29GS 2002 F250 V-10 Yamaha EF3000iSEB (and NOT a GS Member)

SMC

Box Elder, SD

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/07 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ability to move when we want and to see our great USA. We get to visit family a lot more by spending some time in their area. Don't have to stay in their house or stay for a long time. Makes for fun visits.

Also, the motorhome is smaller and easier to clean. I have almost everything I want in here, and so does hubby. Doesn't mean there are things I don't miss about a house, but over all I really enjoy the motorhome and the flexibility it gives us.

SMC
Home is Where We Park It!
2012 Newmar Dutch Star 4346
2013 Chevy Traverse

NavyDad89

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/07 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since we are just now moving out of the sold house and going full time I may miss quite a few reasons. Here is a try at why we are going full time.

I/we don't want to mow the lawn or pay to have it done.
I/we don't want to clean gutters spring and fall each year.
We're tired of looking out the window and seeing the same street and houses.
We're tired of being cooped up for the winter.
I/we don't have a real job to tie me down in one place anymore and I'm outta here.
I/we want to see places I've never had the opportunity to visit on a vacation.
I/we want to spend Christmas with the grandkids who lived away from us for years.
I/we want to be able to move without using boxes and hiring help.
I/we want the daily high temp to at least equal my age.
I/we are tired of keeping a big house going for the two of us.
I/we find the RV easier to keep clean than a 6 room house.
I/we do not wish to be on a tight schedule.

And most of all, we are going full time while we still can.

YMMV

firedude

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/07 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just my outlook on it.[emoticon]

Finally Fulltiming

Summer: NYS Finger Lakes; Winter: Someplace warm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/07 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To see the USA in my Chevrolet (van)!

In addition to NavyDad89's comprehensive list, I like variety, not routine.

WTTCS

freedom , U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/07 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually thats a very good question.

Here is why we continue to fulltime.

I do not like to mow yards, after years of doing it, it just doesnt make much sense to keep a nice yard considering the work required to do it. Life is too short as it is.
I do not like to paint the eaves about every year. It is not necessarilly the money it cost, it is the time and effort to do it.
I do not like to make house payments (I know yours is paid for), I hate to write a check of my hard earned money for taxes that return nothing to us.
I do not like to write a check for insurance on a house that I do not own. If you are making house payments, why should you have to pay the insurance on their collateral?
I hate to clean out flower beds every sping and during the summer. Yea yea, sure she will.
I hate to have to go to home depot or lowes every sat or sun and pick up something that has gone wrong during the week.
I hate to make a check for extremely high bills during the winter or summer months to heat or cool a 2500 sq ft house that we actually use only about 700 foot of.
I do not enjoy some of the neighbors in any neighborhood as every neighborhood has people in it that live life different than us. Like kids riding their bikes across our yard, running thru the yard, dogs loose and doing what they want in my yard. The elderly couple two houses down that fight and scream all hours of the night until the police show up. The young couple down the street who have loud pipes on their cars that go to work every day at 7am and 730 am and vibrate my dishes with their loud pipes and burned rubber. The jehovah witnesses that knock on my door twice a week. The sales people that do the same. '

That is just the house side.

How about never having to run an a/c or heater while fulltiming? All the wonderful sights and places in america that we are so lucky to have. All the parks that we get to live in and the surrounding areas. Seeing how people live in different parts of the country. The religious scene in different cities, the work habits of people in those different areas, the ability to avoid traffic jams, all the things that fixture living has.
The freedom that if we wake up one morning and decide we are tired of this place, we can just move on down the road and see what the other side of the mountain holds.
Now you can get into cost. We can live a full life the way we want to for less than 1/3 of fixed living cost. No one can tell us where, when, how or why we have to do anything. We dont like the deal, we simply move.
No house work, everything is within 20 foot of us. If I decide to fish, play golf, go bowling, go to races, go to mountains, deserts, wet, dry, green, brown, etc, we can just pack up and go.
Then you get into the people. Man, there just are many people in parks that you can meet or be friendly with like people in parks in rvs. The activies are always there, different things different days, different people.
I could write a book on the reasons vs fixture living as some could do the same on fixture vs rv living.
Not to even mention visiting family and friends spread across the u.s.

Life sure is grand !!!

DianneOK

Donnelly, ID

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/07 09:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the above, plus the freedom to experience so many different things....like volunteering at a wildlife refuge, a civil war battlefield, a beach front, the mountains. Looking for that "perfect" place [emoticon]

Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

Motorhome05

Los Banos, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/07 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went full time because we want to see the USA at our leisure. One of the best things that we have experienced is meeting all the great people from all over the USA. We now have friends wherever we roam. When we start a new trip we always say, "New territory". It is also great not to have to pack for our new adventures. We love sleeping in our own bed every night.

Motorhome05
Escapee
FMCA
Lifetime Good Sam
2005 Winnebago 36' Vectra GD
www.onthegowithgaryandjo.blogspot.com
Fulltime Graduation Rally-Quartzsite Jan '06

donedeal

Ada, OK

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/07 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freedom!!!

Traveling Solo with my 2 Guinea Pigs (Lemuria & Lucy and my mutt Popeye)Finally got me a new rig (2808S StarLite by McKenzie) and am pulling it with a 2005 Tundra which does well with only 5300LBS behind it

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Why go fulltime?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS