RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Considering Purchase 98 Gulfstream SunVoyager

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Considering Purchase 98 Gulfstream SunVoyager

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ziaptrn

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/07 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have previously owned 34' 1993 Gulfstream SunVoyager gasser but had to sell when work relocated us.

Now in a position to relocate and own again :-)

Looking at a '98 Sun Voyager DP 29' on a Spartan EC 2242 chassis with 210hp Cummins / Allison 4speed. The Cummins has been 'chipped up' but don't know how high just yet.

Comments on this model year or engine/tranny combo? I seem to recall reading where some want more power or had towing issues w/ the 4 speed, but can't seen to locate any threads on the topic.

No 'need for speed' here, and the acceleration/handling of the gasser (Ford 460 / F53) were more than acceptable for our towing/driving needs.

Any input/suggestions/assistance is greatly appreciated!

threedogtrip

Colorado @ 9500 ft and lovin it

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/07 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 99 Gulfstream SunVoyager DP. I'll have DH post about the engine/tranny kind of stuff when he has a chance. He also has contact info for Spartan (PM us if you'd like some names & numbers we've found and used). I do know that we replaced tires (due to age) and upgraded our converter (Wizard so we can leave the coach plugged in while we are at our house). We've added vent covers on the three power vents, new shocks on the front, pressure pro tire monitors, SMI brake system (we toad a 06 Jeep Unlimited with no problems, but wouldn't want to go without the brake system), new weatherstripping on entry door, changed out the VCR for a DVD and lots of redeco inside. For a 99 coach I don't feel like we've had to do an extreme amount of work. Mostly safety (old tires) and comfort (new curtains, etc).

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
--- Philip K. Dick

1999 Gulfstream Sunvoyager
(Our Gulfstream Home Site)
2006 Jeep Wranger
Doberlady
German Shedder Dog
Rescued Gentleman (In Spirit)

ziaptrn

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/07 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for the feedback.

It sounds like the biggest issues concern performance (for lack of a better term) with acceleration and max speeed.
If those are the only significant issues, we should be fine.

Thanks again!

threedogtrip

Colorado @ 9500 ft and lovin it

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/07 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No complaints about the Cummins/Allison combo - its probably at the low end of HP & torque on our 32' with toad. We've only put 3-4,000 on ours, and its my first MH and first DP. So that's all I know (kind of).

A Banks kit sounds fun, but marginal return on a MH that won't accept a lot of investment and show any return, other than blowing other DP's off...........LOL

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Considering Purchase 98 Gulfstream SunVoyager
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS