RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Superior Towing???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Superior Towing???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Greg Schoenberg

Kalama, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/07 12:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a burning question. Suppose one desired to tour the country while towing a 25 foot boat weighing approximately 6500 lbs. What would be the superior towing vehicle. A large pickup with camper or a Class A, B, or C RV? Let's say money to buy the vehicle was no object. Instead, the pertinent factors are flexibility, comfort, and fuel economy.

-Greg

stracos

Fulltimer, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/07 12:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You won't have much luck finding a class C with 6500lbs of useable towing capacity.

In the class B world you'll probably be looking at one of the roadtreks that include chevy's optional towing package (gets you up around 7000lbs towing capacity). I think a 210p wouldn't do it(too heavy).. You'd probably need to look at the 190's to have enough tow capacity left.

Even in the class A world you'll be looking at diesel pushers to tow that much weight. Which means 8mpg. But then I don't expect a roadtrek towing 6500lbs would get much more than 8mpg either.

If money isn't the concern, and comfort is, get a DP.

If money isn't the concern, but having RV features with you in places you can't park a DP is important to you, get a Roadtrek 190.

I've never heard too many folks call truck campers "comfortable". They are affordable but you said money is no concern.. So about the only reason I can see to go the truck/camper route is if you need access to off-road areas enough that the extra ground clearance of the truck & its 4wd are THAT important that you'll sacrifice in other areas. They do offer 4wd as an option on the Roadtrek 190 but I'm not sure what it would do to your towing capacity.

I'm not aware of any other B's that have 6500lb+ towing capacities but perhaps someone else is...

Joe

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/07 12:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from "CVC".

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/07 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Triple slide Host on a Cummins powered F650.

2011 F250 Super Cab Lariat 6.2 373 FX4 Short Box 4" BDS, 35" Toyos, TorkLift, 16.5K Warn, Locked & Loaded
2007 SunLite Pop Up, Dometic 12 volt fridge, 100 watt solar, Trojan AGM

dbear

Hilton, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/07 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was in a similar situation, except in my case, I wanted to pull a 7000# cargo trailer, and have a place to live. As mentioned, the only RV tow vehicles (class A, B, or C) I found capable of adequately and safely performing this are the diesel pusher Class A's. I decided that since I already owned a 1 ton pickup, the least expensive choice was to purchase a truck camper. Although I haven't weighed the rig, I'd bet I'm still well under GCVW rating.

funforfive

Illinois, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/07 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super C ?

greenchili

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/07 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Super C ?

Maybe a Dynamax; 300 Cat, 21,000 lb. rear axle; up to 40,000 GCWR.

Greg Schoenberg

Kalama, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/07 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jflanagan wrote:

You won't have much luck finding a class C with 6500lbs of useable towing capacity.

In the class B world you'll probably be looking at one of the roadtreks that include chevy's optional towing package (gets you up around 7000lbs towing capacity). I think a 210p wouldn't do it(too heavy).. You'd probably need to look at the 190's to have enough tow capacity left.

Even in the class A world you'll be looking at diesel pushers to tow that much weight. Which means 8mpg. But then I don't expect a roadtrek towing 6500lbs would get much more than 8mpg either.

If money isn't the concern, and comfort is, get a DP.

If money isn't the concern, but having RV features with you in places you can't park a DP is important to you, get a Roadtrek 190.

I've never heard too many folks call truck campers "comfortable". They are affordable but you said money is no concern.. So about the only reason I can see to go the truck/camper route is if you need access to off-road areas enough that the extra ground clearance of the truck & its 4wd are THAT important that you'll sacrifice in other areas. They do offer 4wd as an option on the Roadtrek 190 but I'm not sure what it would do to your towing capacity.

I'm not aware of any other B's that have 6500lb+ towing capacities but perhaps someone else is...

Joe

I'm not aware of any B's that could do the job adequately either. As for truck campers, aren't the one's with slideouts as comfortable as a B. I saw one on Craig's list for 14k with a slideout that seemed to have the essentials...headroom, place to cook/eat, private potty, hydraulic lifts, holding tanks, fresh water, AC/heat, and a queen size berth. Throw that on a one ton pickup and you have the flexibility I'd require. Decent living space, ability to take the vehicle sans camper to run errands, sightsee, and of course, tow/launch/retrieve the boat.

-Greg

northriver18

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/07 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello!

I would spend some time over on the truck camper forum.

I too was looking into how to tow a 8000lb load with a Class C and found it to be impossible. The manufacturers all max out the frames with length and overhangs that eliminate the ability to tow large loads. The work horse from GM sells one that has the ability to make a 26ft class C with 10000lb tow capacity, but the shortest avalable is 31ft as far as I can see. Seems as there is a market for short rigs with high tow capacity but no one makes one. The design guys at Lazy Daze told me it is because they would ride too stiff if they don't load the frame enough with the RV structure? I too found that a DP can be found that will do this, but you are talking large dollars new and will not find anything very short either. This is an issue if you want to be able to get into a lot of campgrounds (State Parks etc.)

I have decided that a truck camper is the way to go. Someone above made the statement that he had never heard anyone claiming that truck camper described as comfortable. Comfort is an individual point of view and there are lots of folks would beg to differ with that statement. Lots of truck campers available that have a lot more room/amenities that a Roadtrek 190.

M

greenchili

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/07 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

and of course, tow/launch/retrieve the boat

That's a really good point. That could be a royal pain in some places trying to do it with a class A or big C. Maybe the new F-450 (w/4wd in case the ramp is slippery) and a nice big camper. Or maybe a Dodge 4500 chassis/cab w/utility bed or flatbed set up for a big camper.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Superior Towing???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS