RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Newmar BriteTEK or Fiberglass Roof?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Newmar BriteTEK or Fiberglass Roof?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
russuz

Naples, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/07 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am considering purchasing a new Kountry Star and have the choice of the included 9mm BriteTEK roof decking or the "upgrade" to the One Piece 9mm Molded Fiberglass Roof for a price of $2290. Can anyone give me pros and cons of either roof. I intend on keeping the RV for 10 years.
Thanks.

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/07 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had fiberglass on the 2000 DSDP, when we ordered the 2002 I didn't bother as I felt it wasn't that much better. Took the factory tour in 2004, someone asked the same question, the guide said the BriteTek as it had a 12 year warranty on materials, the fiberglass was three years (was covered by the Newmar three year warranty then). Now it would be 1 year, like the rest of the coach, whereas the BriteTek should still have the same 12 year on materials.

Friend has a 2004 with the fiberglass and we really haven't seen the difference reflected by the cost to justify it. Now maybe the BriteTek takes a little more maintenance (wash once a year and apply a UV coating) that the fiberglass might not require, but the sealant still needs checking. Washing the roof gives me a good chance to inspect the sealer anyway.

Just not worth it IMHO, unless you bust brush with the roof!! But I've been RV'ing for 50 years and have not punched a hole in the roof or siding in that time. If you "bull" your way into trees then it might be worth the extra cost.

stracos

Fulltimer, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/07 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

for what its worth, I've read that rain makes more noise on a fiberglass roof.

Joe

FloridaFitz

Orlando, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/07 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had both and see no reason to pay for the upgrade...certainly not what Newmar wants. Both perform well and will provide years of trouble free service.

Jim
Orlando
2007 Tiffin Phaeton / Mercedes 926

dav5942

Stuart, FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/07 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got the britetek now and as has been said it does not chalk, stays fairly clean and cleans easily when needed. Would not go with the fiberglas unless it provided more strength for the races(have had up to 15 people up top).

2007 Newmar 42' Mid Engine w/Fatboy,Grizzly 550s-in Garage,Rubicon w/4" lift,MotorMetal whls,MickeyT Baja tires-Cherokee w/4"lift in tow, Hog Valley FL(a diamond in the rough)
2010 Part2

Alaska Fishing Newmar Mid Engine 2010 Sportfishing

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/07 10:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

russuz wrote:

I am considering purchasing a new Kountry Star and have the choice of the included 9mm BriteTEK roof decking or the "upgrade" to the One Piece 9mm Molded Fiberglass Roof for a price of $2290. Can anyone give me pros and cons of either roof. I intend on keeping the RV for 10 years. Thanks.

In 02 when we ordered our DSDP I called the factory and told them I was going to put 2-120 watt solar collectors on the roof and requested advice as to the best roof material. They told me Brite Tek because the roof decking would be thicker than if I order fiberglass. You will get the hooky looking fiberglass curved panels on the sides at the top to make it look like a fiber glass roof when you order Brite Tek.

We plan to keep it at least 10 years also and have never had a problem.

DONATE THAT OLD CELL PHONE TO SUPPORT SOLDIERS click here

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner Yahoo Group or FCOC Web Page

2002 DSDP 3567 PUSHED BY KITTY KAT

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Lug_Nut

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/07 04:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. I had BriteTek, now glass. Both work well. I think for 2k more I doubt I would go the glass. It would be different if there were real advantages, but quite frankly I don't think there are.

'07 Newmar Essex 45' ISM 500 4 slides

wamesit

lowell ma. usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/07 05:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an 04 DS we had the question we went with the brite tek, had no problems with the roof. I talked to plenty of Newmar owners and all, most of them went with brite tek and spent the savings on other options. Good Luck. Chuck

Donna and Chuck
2011 tiffin phaeton model qth 40ft
03 saturn toad blue ox tow bar
1998 Hi-Line Park Model trailor up in Maine
2 chihuahua one female (bambi) one male (Alabama)

seahunt

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/07 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 9mm fiberglass is not thick enough to justify the cost. Your upper crust motorcoaches with fg will have a thicker underlayment, closer rafters and a thicker fg cap. Difference between day and night. Standard FG roof is just too thin for what most think it will be. Go TPO, the standard fg is close to filan board thickness. Just not enough.

Norm Payne

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/07 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't compare the older fiberglass roofs to the present fiberglass roofs Newmar is using. The older roofs were just a piece of fiberglass in the center of the roof with caulking arounf the perimeter. The fiberglass roof is now a one piece molded roof that wraps from sidewall to sidewall with no seams to recaulk. I have had one of each roof on my 2000 Dutch Star and my 2005 Dutch Star and I think the fiberglass roof is worth the additional cost.

I installed four solar panels on my 2000 Dutch Star and I had to drill eight holes in the roof for mounting each solar panel's brackets. On the fiberglass roof I stuck the mounting feet to the fiberglass with small pieces of 3M tape, thus no holes in the roof.

When it rains I don't notice any sound from the roof, just hear rain hitting the skylight and vents. Every time I wash the roof I am thankful I got the fiberglass.

Norm
2005 Dutch Star 4015, Cummins ISL 370 hp
2007 Honda CR-V
See Ya Down The Road
http://www.seeya-downtheroad.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Newmar BriteTEK or Fiberglass Roof?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes