|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator Muffler Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
drirby

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/07 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Black Max 8125 generator (6500 running watts) with 13 hp Honda GX390 engine and Powermate generator. I bought the generator while living in the New Orleans area after Katrina. I now have a fifth wheel and want to use the generator on occasion when no RV park power is available. But, the generator is LOUD. Any ideas on where to go to find out info on how to upgrade to a quieter muffler/silencer? Is it just the muffler that's needed or does it take a full enclosure to quieten one of these things up? Or, am I better off selling it and buying one made for an RV?

Thanks!

2011 Ford F-350 6.7L PSD FX4 SWB
2007 33' Colorado Fifth Wheel - 28TB-M5-BS
Pullrite 16k Superglide

MARK AN DAR

El Cajon, Ca (San Diego)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/07 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't quiet a construction generator down. It needs to breath so a box won't work. A lot of the noise is coming from the air intake.

racefan1965

Redding, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/07 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark is wrong. Go read the 3000 watt chinese generator thread. Near the back of the thread are pictures and descriptions of a successful box build that quieted down a open frame generator. It was accomlished by a moderator here on this site.

Rick

Rick, Shirley, 3 dogs(Shasta, Baylee & Macy)
2003 Ford 250 Superduty 4x4LB 6.0 Diesel
1999 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 gasser
1993 Hitchhiker ll 28.5 SRLUG
2006 Champion C46540 RV plug ready genset
2009 Honeywell 2000i inverter genset

crickeydog

Marietta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/07 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

racefan1965 wrote:

Mark is wrong. Go read the 3000 watt chinese generator thread. Near the back of the thread are pictures and descriptions of a successful box build that quieted down a open frame generator. It was accomlished by a moderator here on this site. Rick

Mmmmmmmmm not wrong at all. You can box up a open frame construction generator with the best muffler and soundproof material available and it'll still be loud, obnoxious, and irritating to everyone but the mental giant running the generator. Been there and done that myself with a GENERAC portable 4000 watt EXL genset. Construction generator's especially are not built with quiet in mind. If you really want a quiet genset, your only true options are the portable Honda's and Yamaha's, and the built in Onan quality gas/diesel/ and propane powered gensets. I can't count the number of sleepless nights I've spent parked next to some really bright guy running a boxed up construction genset day and night thinking he's really got a "high tech" bead on the genset noise problem.

Happy camping!!! See ya'll down the road!!!

USAF RETIRED 1992 "EITHER LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUTTA THE WAY":
DEPT OF DEFENSE RETIRED 2014
D/W DEPT OF JUSTICE RETIRED 2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT, AKA:"THE SILVER FOX" or "THE ROAD LOCOMOTIVE"

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRES, 30 SCD 5'ER

TomU

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/07 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 5500 construction type generator that I bought for hurricane power. Yes, they are very loud and I thought about working on the muffler and building a box.

In the end I found it was easier to buy another cheap 2800 Chinese made generator for camping back up power only. We mainly use hook ups and dry camp. If I used a generator a lot, I would pony up for a Honda.

06 F-250, V-10, 4.10 gears with camper package and Prodigy
09 Rockwood Roo 21SS
Camping Pictures & Mods

racefan1965

Redding, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/07 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crickeydog wrote:

racefan1965 wrote:

Mark is wrong. Go read the 3000 watt chinese generator thread. Near the back of the thread are pictures and descriptions of a successful box build that quieted down a open frame generator. It was accomlished by a moderator here on this site. Rick

Mmmmmmmmm not wrong at all. You can box up a open frame construction generator with the best muffler and soundproof material available and it'll still be loud, obnoxious, and irritating to everyone but the mental giant running the generator. Been there and done that myself with a GENERAC portable 4000 watt EXL genset. Construction generator's especially are not built with quiet in mind. If you really want a quiet genset, your only true options are the portable Honda's and Yamaha's, and the built in Onan quality gas/diesel/ and propane powered gensets. I can't count the number of sleepless nights I've spent parked next to some really bright guy running a boxed up construction genset day and night thinking he's really got a "high tech" bead on the genset noise problem.

Happy camping!!! See ya'll down the road!!!

Well heck. I can't figure out why he would go through all the trouble and put his posting reputation on the line to report a lie? But if you say it's not possible....
Did you even go read the posts or just come straight here to say that his report was false and impossible? It was posted that It was quieter than a honda even. Read this.

Rick

* This post was edited 07/02/07 06:33pm by racefan1965 *

2oldman

Biloxi

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/07 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drirby wrote:

am I better off selling it and buying one made for an RV?
Yes. When all the wrangling and arguing is done in this thread, the bottom line is.. get a quiet Honda or Yamaha. You'll be much happier in the end, and your neighbors will too.

as197

NorCal

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/07 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great, so you proved that you can....the better question is should you? And why would you?

When its all said and done the guy barely saved any $$$ compared to a Honda, never mind the cost of a Yamaha 2400. And he's still got a CHINESE generator, rather than a high quality, well engineered Japanese unit. Where's the cost of his LABOR figured into the equation. After all, time IS money. At least he doesn't have to worry about someone stealing the thing

I think most prudent people would rather spend a few extra bucks, save all the extra time, not have a huge, ugly a$$ box hanging off the back and go on down the road....

drirby

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/07 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great responses so far! Anyone else with any input on this issue? I hate to buy a generator, but also want to be able to sleep while the darn thing is running (and more importantly, I want my wife to be able to sleep).

Thanks again!!

drirby

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/07 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll add another thing. The generator has a L14-30R receptacle for 120/240v power. The RV of course has a 120V 30 amp plug (and has a 15,000 btu air conditioner). After much searching I found a forum where someone pointed out that www.OhioKipor.com has a converter to take the 240v L14 receptacle to a 120v 30 amp RV plug, called the RV Dog Bone Generator Adaptor, at a price of around $30. I called Coleman Powermate who told me the 120v amp rating of a single leg of the generator would be 27 amps. I think that should be enough to run the RV. Just fyi (because I've read some conflicting info on this and other forums).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator Muffler Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS