|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th WHEEL GOLF CART TRAILER

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Hemlockusa

Tecumseh, Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/07 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am just wondering if anyone has installed the Blue Ox "Sport Carrier II" on their 5th wheel to haul your golf cart.
THis unit is 48 inches wide by 84 inches long with a rear swivel wheel and attaches to a receiver hitch coming off the frame. It is said to carry up to 1000# which is a Harley or Golf Cart.I would like to hear some feedback on this installation, thank you John

crickeydog

Marietta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/07 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's been my experience that with the exception of the 2008 Excel Limited 5th wheel, there isn't a 5'er built that's rated for a rear receiver and cargo for more than 150 lbs including the weight of the bike rack or cargo carrier or whatever is inserted into the receiver. Holiday Rambler would not install a Class III or higher receiver as an option when we ordered our 5'er. Our factory installed receiver is limiited to 150 lbs including the weight of the bike rack or cargo rack inserted into the receiver. If the weight of what you're planning to insert into the receiver, in this case the "Sport Carrier II, when loaded is less than 150 lbs, you may be ok.

Happy camping!!! See ya'll down teh road!!!

USAF RETIRED 1992 "EITHER LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUTTA THE WAY":
DEPT OF DEFENSE RETIRED 2014
D/W DEPT OF JUSTICE RETIRED 2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT, AKA:"THE SILVER FOX" or "THE ROAD LOCOMOTIVE"

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRES, 30 SCD 5'ER

plascell

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/07 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Virginia the platform with a swival wheel is considered a 2nd trailer, meaning you would be double towing, which is illegal. Do your homework so you know what you can do, and where.

Pete W4WWQ DX70 IC-2800 Pressure-Pro X-10 camera
2006 Chevy 3500 CC LB 4WD DRW Duramax auto-6
2003 Cardinal 29WB LX EU3000is Roto-Choks 300W from www.amsolar.com

robert herr

Cow Head, Gros Morne National Park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/07 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another unit is the swivel wheel www.swivelwheel.com, not sure on the legal part, looks like could be a nice way to haul a 12-14 ft aluminum boat with you

donpop

Derby, KS USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/07 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HemlockUSA:

Don't let all these folks scare you. It depends on your trailer frame. I have a 2000 Cardinal and part of the deal when I bought it was to have a heavy duty hitch welded on the rear. It has heavy angle iron welded across the frame in two places and the hitch receiver welded to it. I double tow every trip I take with either a 16 ft fiberglass boat or a trailer with two ATVs. I imagine I have up to 250 tongue weight at times. I check the underside welds etc on a regular basis and have never had a problem. I'm also from Kansas and double tow is legal here for a fiver. Never had a problem in OK or TX either. They like our money.

Don

2012 Ford Super Duty F350 XLT CC 4x4, LB SRW, 6.7
2008 Cardinal 34QS
RDS 40 Gal Aux Tank/Toolbox Combo
Double Tow Two Yamaha Grizzly ATVs

reddwar

Valley Center Ks. /Now Scotland SD.

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/07 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a HH & it has 250lb. on the hitch. I talked to Young who build the frames for HH about a Swivelwheel now Swivelwheel said that around around half the weight is on the hitch. Both HH service center & Young welding both said NO. Service Center said it would be ok for a while then my slides would not go in & out very good & after a while then they would not go in or out any more as they said my frame sag more & more. Blue Ox is about the same as Swivelwheel so just a word to the wise.

red

Hemlockusa

Tecumseh, Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/07 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate everyone's input, I guess I will pass on the installation, however it sure looks good in the pictures...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th WHEEL GOLF CART TRAILER
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS