|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> turning radius

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
twilightround

Danville CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/07 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My house is at the end of a cul-de-sac. The street ends in a circle with a 6 inch curb and grass in the center. The circle is 39 feet in diameter. The pavement around the circle is 22 feet wide. There are mailboxes on the outside of the circle, just off the pavement. I would like to be able to bring my rv to my house to load and unload, but I want to be sure I can go around the circle without hitting any mailboxes. I have a 40' Monaco Dynasty (actually 40' six") tag axel. I called Monaco in Oregon, but they said they could not tell me the turning circle of my coach, and in any case, they probably wouldn't have data that would take account of the swing. I could set up a test in a parking lot, but my cones are too low to simulate mailboxes and I'm on my own on this one (wife says don't do it, you'll get stuck - so of course I'm going to do it if I can). Does anyone have any wisdom, experience, to share (other than listen to your wife)?

twilightround

kottfam6wi

South Central Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/07 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like you should be ok. Just take it slow and watch. If it starts looking too iffy, don't get too far that you can't back out. I have driven around circles like that with a 34' fifth wheel with no problem.
Joe

Our Family Pictures
Joe & Erika
Chris-16, Emily-12, Jessica-10, Jason-9, Derek-4
"Rallies Attended 19 1/2" (Wahoo!! we're catching up!)
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 5.9L CTD
2005 K-Z Durango 315BH 5th Wheel (2nd Camper)

david_w28

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/07 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our MH is 36' and we also live in a cul-de-sak. Even with cars parked on both sides and as long as they are not in front of our house I do not have a problem pulling in and backing into our driveway. I do have to pay good attention to the cars so I don't swing out and hit them. I know if I had a 40 footer I would be able to do the same.

RamblinFever

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/07 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to a large parking lot then mark and measure the inside and outside of the track where you turn. That will tell you for sure before you get stuck in the cul-de-sac.

Also lifting the tag will make a tighter turn.

04 Bounder 35E, W-22
05 Honda CR-V, SMI brake

Parker312

Martinez,California

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/07 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is their any way to just pull straight in and then back out. I live on a court (martinez) and that is how I get in and out with my 40' MH. I also have the issue that my court ends just before a 90 degree turn. So I go staight in and then back out to the J part of the street and then I can get out. With cars parked on the side and/or coming in the court it gets dicey but I used to have my wife with the 2 way radio walking the street but I have done it enough now that I can do it solo.

Rick
'98 MADP 4081

sum1

So-Cal

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/07 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, the parking lot thing can't be beat for measuring YOUR turning radius. Place some sticks in your cones or better still, rig up a couple of bags of sand or bottles of water like hourglasses on the front and rear corner of the coach. Or, if you have friends (I don't ) have one or two of them mark your circle with chalk.

JasonD

Annapolis, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/07 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're in what sounds like a traffic circle, not a cul-de-sac. I went around one just like that once in our 40 footer, and hopped the inside curb. I could do better next time by staying further to the right...but any car or mailbox parked there would block me. There's only one way to tell...go do it!

2008 42' Foretravel Nimbus CE
2007 Chevy Tahoe toad

Walldo

Plainview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/07 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take her to a big empty parking lot, cone it off like your cul-de-sac and give it a try; if you knock over a cone you will know for sure you can't make it.

2008 SuperNova 6372
08 Rubicon Unlimited

bowl300

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/07 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live at the end of a cul-de-sac also. My neighbor (also at the end of the cul-de-sac has a 2004 Monaco diplomat 40 ft. (40'4") He has NO problem whatsoever making that turn radius. My neighbor down the street also turns his 40 ft. 2004 Monaco Windsor on my street without problem.

From what I have seen and read, Monacos all have the same turning radius. The 2007-2008 models I believe now have a 52 turn radius, older than that, they were a 50 radius.(although I don't know about one with a tag axle). Given that most other mid-range to high-range DP's have a 55-60 turn radius. The 50 does turn tighter than I thought it would (watching my neighbors do their thing!)

I on the other hand with my gasser and wider turn have to back up couple times to make the turn.

One way to know is, give it a try. You can always back up in someone's driveway if you can't make the turn. Of course, that island in the middle may prove a possible problem?? GOOD LUCK!

2011 Tiffin Phaeton - 40QBH
2005 Saturn Vue V6 Toad
Ed & Doreen
Lily & Bailey (Our Siberian Huskies)
Maggie & Elvis (King Charles Cavalier Spaniels-Our Love Sponges

BWhite

Metrowest,Ma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/07 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing that a brand new Newell wouldnt fix . 45' coach 37' turning radius

Bill and Patti