|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Window Replacement Question on Jayco

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
txdutt

Parker CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/07 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have a side window replaced in their TT?? I go by the storage place on the way home from work to check on my RV & lo and behold I find the window at the dinette with a 3" hole at the upper right with the rest of the glass shattered. What the (*&$ ??? Go into the trailer expecting to find it soaked with water (all the rain we've had here) & I find a golf ball stuck in between the window & the shade! Aaargghhh! At least I didn't find anything wet inside so it just happened or it was in just such a way that it hasn't let water in. Thank God! There's no golf courses around the storage lot, only an open field that usually has some horses in it-guess someone wanted to hit the links much to my dismay. I duct taped up the hole inside & out as well as put tape in a X pattern to keep everything in place & dry until I get it replaced. Naturally everything is closed now so I'll have to wait until morning to call the dealer & see what they recommend to do. Had RV's in storage at this place for almost 2 years & absolutely no incidents of any kind. Have to chalk this up to a freak accident by someone being irresponsible...

2011 Ford F250 Lariat C/C 6.7 PSD w/Curt 20K Lb Hitch & rear Timbrens
2013 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2013 Infinity 3860MS 5'er/15.5K GVW/41'
U.S. Navy 1978-1986

JCnAZ

Apache Junction, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/07 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We broke the curbside bedroom window on our Jayco last weekend (forgot to close it before putting the awning away). Dealer says replace the whole thing frame and all, even though only the louvered portion is broken. I have been calling around but haven't had much luck with local glass shops. -JC

John,Janet,
daughter and son.
A dog or two (or three).
'01 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0
'12 Lance 825
Yamaha YG2800i

JTCR

Central Mass

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/07 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call your insurance company you might not have a deductible on glass. If you don't have any coverage I would find out which company made window get a price from them. Dealer will be very high. Also your trailer is new I would replace frame and all. I worked in a glass shop for 20 years window and frame will never be the same with just replacing glass.

2004 GMC 1500 4x4 Extended cab short bed 5.3 3.73
2007.5 Jayco 328RLS

txdutt

Parker CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/07 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmm, hadn't thought about the fact that the entire window including the lower transom section might have to be replaced... Ugghhh!! I've got covg but I'll have to see what the estimates are before I decide about filing a claim. Tomorrow will tell...

txdutt

Parker CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/07 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went by the dealer today & showed them cell-phone pics of the damage. They told me that since it didn't damage the frame only the glass portion, that a new piece can be cut & installed so it shouldn't be too painful on the wallet. I'n having a friend's hubby whose a glass pro come over to take a look & see if he can do it or recommend someone locally if he can't.... fun fun fun..

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/07 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, been here myself...

This is how it can be done, call a local window glass shop (think home/business, not auto)ask if they can cut and (tempered can't be cut)temper glass. If they can't temper it, they may be able to send the glass out for tempering.

My local glass shop requested the entire window, they matched the window tint, cut the glass, then sent glass out for tempering. They put the glass into the frame for me. Total cost was $25 for a less than 2 square ft window, took about a week.

As long as frame is not damaged and you have all of the seals for the glass, it can be fixed.

txdutt

Parker CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/07 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He came out today & took a look. Turns out he can do it. He had to make a template out of a scrap pane that he had since the 2 upper corners are radiused. He has to order a sheet since it's a grey tint that he doesn't have & then after cutting it to the template he made will have it tempered. Could have been worse I suppose. If it had been a laminated window, would be much more $$$$ to have fixed...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Window Replacement Question on Jayco
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS