|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> best cold weather TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
mkjk

nor cal

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/07 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my wife and i are going to semi-retire to eastern washington/idaho and plan on living in a travel trailer for a year or so prior to purchasing home and property. we will mostly stay in parks with full hook-up and are looking at 26-30 foot TT with 1-2 slides. our questions are...brand with cold weather insulation..snow load..etc. we want to be comfy of coarse. any info will be appreciated.

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/07 12:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at Big Foot and Arctic Fox. Both are very well made as well as being suitable for winter.

I'm free of prostate cancer for 5 years now.
All men over age 50 should get an annual PSA blood test. Mine had a low reading, but the yearly jump was significant. The biopsy showed cancer just entering the aggressive stage. Dr. Hackenslash removed it.

Nascar24

Blackstone Valley, Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/07 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi

SunnyBrook Titan with the full arctic package.

Good Luck and Happy Trails
2002 Dodge 2500 4X4 CC,SRW,CTD
2008 Cross Roads Cruiser XT30SB Cross Force Toy Hauler
Nascar24 A lengend in my own mind, A Scary thought in someone else's!

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/07 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kenneth above has made some good suggestions.
Also consider Komfort. They are not light weight or inexpensive, but are very well insulated and are built close to where you are going to settle. They also have an excellent choice of floor plans.
Komfort

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

TUCQUALA

Kennewick, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/07 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

YOD: Only if the OP is planning on finding a park up in the mountains will they find "some of the lowest temps on record". Eastern WA and Western Idaho, in the areas of major population, have fairly temperate climate. Here in Kennewick, it rarely snows more than a couple inches a couple of times a year. Average temps run from the 20's to the 50's. Yes, we occasionally have a few days of close to 0, but that is less common here than the lake effect snow you get in the winter.

To the OP: Any quality TT with winter pack, as many have that are built here in the NW, should fit your needs. It all depends on where in E. WA, or ID that you are planning landing temporarily.

'10 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
'03 EXCURSION V10

WENONAH Sundowner 17

Your Old Dog

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/07 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't Idaho and that part of the country record some of the lowest temperatures on record? I live in Buffalo New York area and I'd rather try what you are doing here instead of your neck of the woods. I don't think you plan is a sound one as travel trailers just aren't' built for extreme temps for long periods of time. My little furnace would be running all day long. Just make sure you look into it well so you don't bite off more than you can chew.

By the way, I"m not one of the safety freaks who think nothing is every safe enough.

Unless tomorrow has been promised to you, you better get busy today.

camperbuds3

NE Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/07 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not to get off the main topic, but someone mentioned low temperatures in the U.S.

Just a bit of trivia:

The lowest recorded temperature in the lower 48 states was at Rogers Pass, Montana -70F, -56.5C, January 20, 1954. Now that's cold weather!

2006 Sunline T-2075 TT
2009 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab

Jet Dr.

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/07 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2005 Coachmen Captiva 288, and its great in cold weather. I know you thinking it doesn't get cold down here in Georgia, but it does, and it seems to be when we decide to go camping. Last cold trip, it got to 15 degrees and the camper did fine. Some of coachmen's and others too, have enclosed underbellies and heated air is ducted into this space to keep the holding tanks and plumbing from freezing. I did not know mine had that till I found the heater duct that did the heating. works great.

Rick From Sequim

Sequim, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/07 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sure do LOVE my Bigfoot - serious 4 season trailer.

Rick
& wife Loie & Kodi Dog (blk male std poodle)
2011 GMC Sierra & 2005 25' Bigfoot RQ

smokestone52

Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/07 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was born and raised in Idaho. I suspect that a travel trailer built for extreme temps will do. Artic Fox is a good one.

But, it depends on where you are staying. Boise, has what Idahoans call mild temps. No lower than -10 degrees at night. Central Idaho where I am from has recorded in the last ten years, -43 and just north in high country Idaho a record of -65. Even an Artic Fox would have you frozen hard as a rock in that extreme.

Let me know, and I can tell you all about winter in Idaho.

06 F-150 Lariat 4X4, 5.4, 3.73 rear. Reese WD, and sway. Pulling,
06 Pioneer, 180CK, with air.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> best cold weather TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS