|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bugs In Toilet and Black Water Tank

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Tim B.

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/07 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HELP!!! We have a hybrid trailer and 2 weeks ago I brought it home to do some work on it. I noticed some bugs hanging around the inside of the toilet bowl. They looked like fruit flys. I didn't put any tank cleaner in the blck water tank the last time we camped, because we dumped the black water tank. So, I decided to put some tank cleaner in the black tank, and put some water in there too. Then this past week I picked up the trailer from storage, and brought it home. When my wife was in there, she noticed about 50 or so of these bugs in the toilet bowl. Most were dead. We went camping this weekend, and every time you would flush these bugs and what looked like larvae would come out of the water outlet in the tank. It is 3 days later and these bugs are still coming out of the fresh water outlet in the toilet. We can't seem to kill them even with bleach in the fresh water tank.
Any help would be appreciated.
(They are about the same size and color as a fruit fly. They seem to jump aand fly when smaller, and fly when larger.)

Tim, Anita, Nick & Danielle
Max (2yr. old yellow lab)
2001 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 3.73 w/tow package
2003 Rockwood Roo 232

havedreamwilltravel

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/07 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

found this on another forum:

What you are talking about may be drain flies. One way to tell them apart is to smear one on a sheet of paper. If they leave a dark powdery streak on the paper, they are drain flies, not fungus gnats. Both, however, do live on decaying matter. The reason you are seeing them appear in a cyclical manner is probably that you are seeing distinct generations. When you spray them you can only control the adults. By the time you see them, they have probably already laid a few eggs. Any larvae that you can't get to or unhatched eggs are unaffected. I would suspect thatyou see them are a little more frequently when it is warmer. I would suggest cleaning out your tank thoroughly. Add a little Calgon to the tank according to the directions given for laundry use to help deposits on the sides of the tank let go. Do the Clorox soak, but put some soap in the solution to help the clorox soak into any hardened deposits. Don't forget to disinfect your sink traps since they can do very well around the edges of the water in the bottom of those. Do this every 2-3 weeks for about 6 weeks whether you see the insects or not. This is a bit of a pain, but none of this stuff is very expensive.

If you go back to the place with the problem in the septic system, suggest that they get their tank cleaned. Don't hook up until you have a pretty full tank and are ready to dump, and unhook immediately afterward until you have a full tank again.

2007 GMC Yukon Denali - 6.2L 380hp/417ft-lbs,0-60 in 6.2 seconds
2007 Jayco Jayflight 27BH
Equalizer Hitch, Prodigy Brake Control
Our Truck and Trailer
Easy Trailer Mods-NEW pics added 4/10/08

Visited a lot of states, haven't camped in many...yet.

rvsatek

AZ, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/07 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The above post is correct. I have been called several times to fix a failed black tank rinsing system. Upon taking the rinse head out of the tank I find that the rinse head is covered in the darned things. I also find them in the inside of tolets when I remove them for repair.

Larry
1994 Ford F250/7.5L/410 gears
2001 Keystone Sprinter 276RLS 14' slide

SoCal Terry

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/07 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aw, geez, I don't have enough to worry about? Now toilet bugs are on my list too?

Terry
"Soylent Green is people!"

2cyber71

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/07 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wait until mosquitos hatch in your drains....ouch!

Tim B.

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/07 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at pictures, online, of the drain fly, and I think I have seen those before. (Drain fly looks more like a small household fly.) These look more like a fruit fly.

jaxd

So CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/07 11:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tim B whenever you dump your black tank refill it with 1/4 water and add chemicals or 20 mule team borax. The drive home will do wonders for your tank. If you don't add water the solids that remain in the tank will harden and cause you problems over time. Same goes for gray water.

jaxd - F140757
2004 Excursion 39' triple slide 350 Cummins Turbo
Toad 08 Honda CR-V EXL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bugs In Toilet and Black Water Tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS